?
Report 14 years ago
I found it to be quite a big jump yes.
apple_smile
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeh, I found it a hell of alot harder, especially in Psychology and Sociology.
mikesgt2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, I think there is quite a jump. However, I have found that by working hard early on and overcoming the jump the rest of the A2 year can be ok. Also, I would say that for my subjects in general there has been less content to learn, but it is the skills required that are harder. I can't necessarily say that about other subjects, the sciences in particular.
Indelible
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes! I do maths, government and politics and physics
Government and politics was the biggest difference, then maths (Pure is a lot harder, but Mechanics is quite similar)
Physics doesnt seem to be too much of a jump in my opinion, but Im still waiting to sit unit 6... dont quite know what to expect from that atm... :confused:
sneezyme
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i agree with dust-it depends on the subject.

i do english literature, french and spanish. i found that french and spanish are MUCH harder at A2 because you start doing literature. however, i found english literature slightly easier, and more harder the jump from gcse to A2, because in englit, your writing skills, interpreting and analysing skills are constantly improving.
jossy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you do music the gap isnt' that much, but history and politics is huuuge and i gather sociology is too...there seems to be more work this year, but it all depends on how well u do in AS....
Meghan
Report 14 years ago
i agree with those above me who state that it depends upon the subject.

english didn't get any harder at A2, it just pulled everything together and required you to write longer essays.

biology got a hell of a lot more complex and demanding of your memory at A2, especially as the synoptic unit asks you to remember stuff from AS as well as A2.

geography didn't get any harder at A2, but then i've never found geography demanding.

general studies - now that's just simple. it's more a question of how often you read a newspaper or watch the news.
ainsworth
Report 14 years ago
maths and futher maths got much harder

chemistry, quite a bit but now it comes to revision i'm not so sure.

physics (at my school anyway) has been a complete waste of time and really lax both years.
DazYa002
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
for chemistry no

for physics yes
Kirki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes.

I think it's easier to make the jump between AS and A2 than GCSE and AS, though. You have to work harder, for most subjects, but for some reason pushing yourself just that bit harder isn't really that much of an issue. Perhaps due to fewer subjects?
slowjamz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For me personally, English Literature wasn't any harder, but the jump in depth and breadth of content and the level of skill needed to do well seemed huge in Psychology and History. Looking back on my AS work now, it seems like a doddle.
Sapphira
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maths was a big step up, chemistry was quite a big step, biology not much harder and textiles the same!!
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i believe its the same sort of jump as between GCSE and AS
Meghan
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sapphira)
Maths was a big step up, chemistry was quite a big step, biology not much harder and textiles the same!!
:mad: the jump from GCSE double science to AS chem was a disaster for me. if I'd applied myself, I think I'd have been able to understand it and eventually get a respectable grade in it. however, the teaching was annoying, so i gave up and got a U :rolleyes:
ShadowStorm
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
AS to A2.
Maths: I did 9 maths modules (A + AS), but P1 M1 S1 were MUCH easier than P2 P3 M2 (which was what our college did. I also did M3, D1 and S2.)

Computing: I did the OCR syllabus, which is a nightmare. But I don't think that the difficulty increased in terms of exams. Coursework, however, was much more challenging in the second year than in the first. I had to work twice as hard to get the same number of UMS marks.

Chemistry: Not much harder - but more knowledge. Chemistry is constantly synoptic, you must always pull on areas throughout it, so the more modules you do, the more you need to know.

Psychology: Harder (AQA). There was a big jump from AS to A2 modules (AS you study 2 areas for each module - A2 you study 3 areas, and believe me it makes a difference).
Victim
Report 14 years ago
I don't think it's the content that's that much more difficult (however in English Language there was a slight jump) but I think it's more the way in which questions are asked in exams, and you're expected to answer in a much more sophisticated way.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (113)
80.14%
Leave (28)
19.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise