Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview recently (yesterday) for a support worker position in a residential home for children with learning disabilities. I thought the interview was alright but I felt uncomfortable answering the interview questions as I felt I did badly. Although not phrased exactly, some I really struggled on where::
    1) You're in a CD store in town when you see one of the students you support in the store. He/she hasn't seen you. He/she is talking excitedly to a person about one of the CD's. You're unsure whether the person is a stranger, family member or agency staff member as you don't know them. The student has a history of absconding (running away). What do you do and why?

2) A student is late for his morning class. You knock on his door and find that he has soiled the bedding, tried to clean up himself and has only made the situation worse. What's your priority in this situation? What do you do?

So any advice on how I should answer these will be massively appreciated.
    Also, what other typical scenario questions can I expect in the future? I have two more interviews coming up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by o-glez)
    How did you answer them?
    Then I can give my advice on this, but sometimes there is no right or wrong answer particularly as you have to remember it's all about person centred care.
    In learning disabilities especially, it's all about the individual and what works best for them. Care needs to be tailored to them, to ensure that you know them and are giving them the care and support they need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=deviant182;63198489]How did you answer them?
    Then I can give my advice on this, but sometimes there is no right or wrong answer particularly as you have to remember it's all about person centred care.
    In learning disabilities especially, it's all about the individual and what works best for the

For the first I said I would observe from a distance and observe the interaction between the student and person. I'd contact the school to let them know. I wouldn't aproach the child as I wouldn't be insured and I may open myself up to allegations. The risk assement May need reviewing.

The second.
    I'd ensure the person's Well being is prioritised. I.E that he is not distressed. We can then follow the infection control procedure. I'd help him but make sure he's contributing to the cleaning to promote independence

ReputationRep:
    1)
    As the child is a minor, never mind someone who is vulnerable due to their learning disability also, I'd say you answered as best you could.
    You're right to observe, and you could always ring the home/centre/manager etc to ask for advice even if you're not on duty.
    This can happen in reality so observe from a distance and if needed, take notes.
    The child may be out with someone they know and management may be aware. The child is first and foremost a child. So put them and their safety first. If you at all worried or concerned in anyway, you have a duty of care to report the child and ask for advice.

2)
    your priority in such a situation is to maintain the persons dignity at all times.
    School can wait. As the individual had the awareness of personal hygiene and has tried to clean it up this shows a self awareness. Therefore the person may be embarrassed, distressed and upset. So maintain their dignity, reassure them and try to maintain the situation and keep a level of calm (the person could display behaviours that challenge etc..)
    Try to promote their skills and assist them where needed but always try to promote the individual to do as much for themselves as possible, no matter how long it takes.
    Inform a member of staff that the child's travel may have to be reorganised / postponed for a while until the person is ready. Then just concentrate on the individual and make sure that they are okay. Yes following infection control, but within learning disabilities, and dependent on the setting, this may not always be strictly followed due to various factors. The important aspect is the person and your own safety.
    You have to remember the person may have been faecally incontinent, but always think of other factors. Ie is this regular for them? Do they smear as part of their behaviours? Are they on medication that would cause such an accident? What's their diet been like? Could they be ill and have an infection etc? You need to think of this to be aware of your own safety as well when in a situation especially if you're on your own.
    Inform whoever is the nurse / team leader on duty and make a mental note of what it looked like etc as bowel movements should usually be regularly recorded.

Hope that helps some ☺

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    1)
    As the child is a minor, never mind someone who is vulnerable due to their learning disability also, I'd say you answered as best you could.
    You're right to observe, and you could always ring the home/centre/manager etc to ask for advice even if you're not on duty.
    This can happen in reality so observe from a distance and if needed, take notes.
    The child may be out with someone they know and management may be aware. The child is first and foremost a child. So put them and their safety first. If you at all worried or concerned in anyway, you have a duty of care to report the child and ask for advice.

2)
    your priority in such a situation is to maintain the persons dignity at all times.
    School can wait. As the individual had the awareness of personal hygiene and has tried to clean it up this shows a self awareness. Therefore the person may be embarrassed, distressed and upset. So maintain their dignity, reassure them and try to maintain the situation and keep a level of calm (the person could display behaviours that challenge etc..)
    Try to promote their skills and assist them where needed but always try to promote the individual to do as much for themselves as possible, no matter how long it takes.
    Inform a member of staff that the child's travel may have to be reorganised / postponed for a while until the person is ready. Then just concentrate on the individual and make sure that they are okay. Yes following infection control, but within learning disabilities, and dependent on the setting, this may not always be strictly followed due to various factors. The important aspect is the person and your own safety.
    You have to remember the person may have been faecally incontinent, but always think of other factors. Ie is this regular for them? Do they smear as part of their behaviours? Are they on medication that would cause such an accident? What's their diet been like? Could they be ill and have an infection etc? You need to think of this to be aware of your own safety as well when in a situation especially if you're on your own.
    Inform whoever is the nurse / team leader on duty and make a mental note of what it looked like etc as bowel movements should usually be regularly recorded.

Hope that helps some ☺

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your advice. Theres some reqlly useful info there. So you reckon i answered the first one well but the second not so well?

ReputationRep:
    Yes the first one is difficult but if you're not on duty you won't know who the child is with. And that is not necessarily your business to know as you're not on duty. However, all you can do in that situation is call the office etc to let them know, so partly you cover your own back incase anything happens, and 2, you're making sure the child is safe.
    the second one you could have gone into a little more detail about their dignity and watching for any behaviour etc and ensuring your own safety as well.
    But overall, I'd say you done as best you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.