Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    100#% yes, i planned my wedding when i was like 14 lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    I am not against the idea of spending my life with that special someone I love, what I am against however is how marriage laws in the West are structured to f*** the men over in the event of divorce.

The only way I would get married in the legal sense is if I knew I could ringfence some of my assets so I wouldnt be f***ed over by my spouse.

Of course if we had any kids I would make sure they are taken care of, but this theme in the West that a woman is entitled to half your stuff just because she married you is simply crazy.
    As far as I know the divorce process is not gendered like that in any way. It usually affects the man because women generally (less and less) are at home raising the kids and don't necessarily have a job/high paying profession. In event of divorce your joint wealth is split in half, and if that money, etc. has been mostly/only made by the husband, then that is how it goes.
    And why are you so certain that your spouse will turn on you? Marriage is a partnership based on trust and equality. The (irrational) fear of being unfairly gouged by your wife, should you get divorced, shouldn't be an undercurrent to your marriage.

Your argument, however, is exactly why I personally will never stop working and will always have my separate bank account. I've seen that sort of attitude too often and it never ends well.

(Original post by Emilia1320)
    I don't want to get married nor I want a committed relationship or relationship at all.

Opening post sounds like you assume everyone wants a relationship.
    I did assume that, yes, but if you don't want a relationship, then that's cool. Not trying to force you to conform to any traditional concepts of romantic affiliation.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes I am all for marriage. Me and my partner of 7 years are finally planning our wedding now after being engaged for 3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Married

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, don't really understand what the point if it is. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    lols you realise if a man ever heard you say that, he would never marry you.
    Good thing most men aren't on this forum then 😎
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Summertime99)
    Don't really believe in the institution of marriage. Weddings are fun though and I like wedding dresses.

I'll probably get married at least a few times.
    So you're planning on divorce also?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i don't really have a preference either way but i guess marriage appeals to me more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    So you're planning on divorce also?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well that's the only alternative to death, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely want to get married!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Summertime99)
    Well that's the only alternative to death, I suppose.
    Fair enough, I suspect the guys are really gonna get hurt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would like to get married but when I will have big amount of money.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.