Turn on thread page Beta

What's wrong with the UK Parliament? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but everyone in the UK parliament seems to be running amuck. People screaming over eachother, obnoxiously loud banter and just general rude behaviour. Could anyone care to explain why that is and why it's deemed acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    It's only really like that during PMQs, which is just one hour a week. It's a session where the government and the opposition try to get one up over each other and so it can get quite rowdy and obnoxious. Whether that's a good thing or not has been debated, but you do hear some great put-downs

Much of the time is spent debating actual matters, and is usually far more respectful and civilised. But it's also less showman-like than PMQs so it's not seen as often

ReputationRep:
    They're leaving Europe...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliNaqvi:D)
    I don't know but everyone in the UK parliament seems to be running amuck. People screaming over eachother, obnoxiously loud banter and just general rude behaviour. Could anyone care to explain why that is and why it's deemed acceptable?
    when people have media attention they like to put their views across in the most outrageous way hoping that they will relate to some people i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    It's only really like that during PMQs, which is just one hour a week. It's a session where the government and the opposition try to get one up over each other and so it can get quite rowdy and obnoxious. Whether that's a good thing or not has been debated, but you do hear some great put-downs

Much of the time is spent debating actual matters, and is usually far more respectful and civilised. But it's also less showman-like than PMQs so it's not seen as often
    Makes sense, I was asking because I saw a few videos like this:
    https://youtu.be/TCbWLeJ35cA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)

This. Most of the time there is less than about 50 (generous) people in there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2u)
    They're leaving Europe...?
    no they're not. the people might be though. it's a referendum. it's called democracy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    English politics is quite adversarial. It's how it's always been, as it's set up that way (committees, PMQs etc)

ReputationRep:
    Aren't enough delegates from Trafalgar Square. Those pigeons know what's wrong with the world.

ReputationRep:
    Idiots elect idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    no they're not. the people might be though. it's a referendum. it's called democracy.
    Which is why we have a constitutional monarchy. There is no democracy on this planet except two counties in Switzerland. The Founding Fathers decided on a constitutional republic for the US to prevent the "Tyranny of the Majority".

For example, in Switzerland, the closest in the world to a democracy, 56.57% of the eligible voter population turned out in the February 2014 Swiss immigration referendum, only 50.33% of the population voted "Yes" to restricting immigration from the EU, even though a large portion of the immigration was from other rich EU countries, whilst 49.67% voted "No", which is not even a true majority. This was tyranny of the majority as the only reason why Switzerland is treated as an EU country even though it isn't, is because if follows most EU laws, especially the law which allows free EU migration, same with Norway and Iceland.

Once again, the UK won't get any special treatment, the Swiss didn't the Norwegians didn't and the Icelandic didn't, no other non-EU country has gotten as many treaties with the EU as said countries have without having to make concessions, especially free migration.

Obviously, if over 70% of the eligible voter population turn out for the 2016 UK immigration referendum and over 65% vote to leave the EU, then it will be fully democratic and everyone will have to accept it since that is not the "Tyranny of the Majority". Can you see where I'm coming from here? If it's a true majority, then it's a true majority, if it's 50.33%, it's not a majority. Also, I don't trust English polls that support In or Out since what happened in the last General Election. Never again.

(Original post by asmuse123)
    the 2016 UK immigration referendum
    It's a referendum on EU membership, not on immigration, even though EU membership has ramifications for immigration policy. It's not like the Swiss referendum, which was specifically to do with the matter of immigration from the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Simple it's been like that ever since radio broadcasts were introduced decades ago it goes on for 1 to 2 hours on a Wednesday to try and get one over the other side precisely because people like you only watch/listen to that and get the impression you have presented on this thread.

The rest of the time is usually nothing like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise that there was such confusion over PMQs being 30 minutes long...

But yes, it is one of the few parts of the parliamentary week like that - and even then, the last half of it is usually far more sedate.

ReputationRep:
    It's great theatre, and a great test of leadership and oratory, all important skills for the leader of a country on the world stage.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It's an absolute embarrassment to be perfectly honest, I've seen better behaviour in my Year 8 PE lessons. A perfect example of a tradition that needs to be disposed of as quickly as possible. It might only be one session a week but that is not an excuse; it has a very high attendance and is probably by far the most viewed and publicised part of the parliamentary week.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's too bad. It's tradition. I'd rather people complained about the gears of democracy before judging it's architecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I didn't realise that there was such confusion over PMQs being 30 minutes long...

But yes, it is one of the few parts of the parliamentary week like that - and even then, the last half of it is usually far more sedate.
    The whole things isn't 30 minutes. Yes that's what he stands up for but there is rowdiness before and afterwards.

I watch it every week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    The whole things isn't 30 minutes. Yes that's what he stands up for but there is rowdiness before and afterwards.

I watch it every week
    Sometimes it overruns, but it moves immediately from the preceding business into PMQs - there's no gap at all - and afterwards they're clearing the chamber pretty sharpish.

ReputationRep:
    PMQs is great fun. I imagine it's somewhat useful too, for the commons to have an opportunity to grill the PM directly.

So it gets a bit loud :dontknow:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.