Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently with the WJEC board for my GCSEs, and as you may know if you are familiar with WJEC that you do three science exams, two in the summer and one in Year 11 January. My GCSEs in year 10 were appalling, and definitely did not achieve what I was capable of. I did resits, one in an ICT exam, two in science and then the three additional January sciences. I thought I had done fairly well. I had revised (though admittedly, not to perfection) and felt confident when writing in the exams.
    So, I opened my results... and boom. All Ds except for a C, in my Physics resit - in which I had got a C last time.
    How did this happen? How can I achieve better grades in the summer? Because of this my teachers are now pushing me towards foundation and saying I should settle for Cs which I really do not want and should not bother resitting because of the stress. Even Bs would be good.
    Do I consider remarking? Many people did badly, especially in my set for biology (we had no proper teacher as they kept changing) and nobody got any higher than a C. Though - some did get As and A*s, (but they were in top set with a really good teacher, whom I had a few years ago) so this is no excuse.
    Any tips would be very much appreciated, thank-you.

ReputationRep:
    Do past papers and revise

ReputationRep:
    hmm, .. this is my worst fear personally. I guess my advice would be to become more independent in your learning and leave nothing to your teachers, look at past papers and the type of questions/ topics that will come up in your exam. Also make sure you start revising early most importantly do not be fazed by your past grades or teachers.

good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Independent revision, go over topics you feel weak in first and don't know anything about and then move on to topics you know. Make mind maps, flashcards, poster, flowcharts. Study groups may help you. Past papers as well.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you got one grade that was really bad i would get you, but considering all of your grades were pretty low i would say that you might want to consider actually studying a little bit harder. If you are already going out of your way to do anything possible to achieve higher grades i would have to agree with your teachers, not to be harsh but if you get all Cs and Ds on GCSEs you are either very lazy or just not really cut out for getting the A*s/As.In case you are just lazy, i would really recommend to start studying now. I did absolutely nothing for my GCSEs, like literally nothing, i did manage to get 4 A*s, 4 As and 3 Bs but when i got to As with the same mentality it all just collapsed.So ye, do a lot more work. The exams are quiet standard, so if you know your stuff there is a very small chance of getting below a A/B level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nymeriacx)
    hmm, .. this is my worst fear personally. I guess my advice would be to become more independent in your learning and leave nothing to your teachers, look at past papers and the type of questions/ topics that will come up in your exam. Also make sure you start revising early most importantly do not be fazed by your past grades or teachers.

good luck!!
    It's my worst fear too :cry2:. I suppose I'll just have to put in maximum effort and start revising hard now. I think I shall resit, I don't really care what the teachers say. (They're not too brilliant to begin with) Thanks for your tips - though I do do past papers, I definitely need to focus on them more.

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic. You're not alone. Me, myself I am scared right now of getting below C's in my GCSE's because right now I really want to get into Sixth form next year and I only applied to one of them. If I wont get 5 GCSE's over C grade, I cant get into it.
    All I can advise you is to ask your head teacher if the school can do after-school weekly sessions for students who need help. Don't revise too much, but don't leave whole revision for the last minute either. First of, revise the topics that you find most interesting perfectly well as they will get into your head faster, and leave the ones that you struggle with after. I know it's hard, but try not to get distracted by internet or social media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2u)
    Don't panic. You're not alone. Me, myself I am scared right now of getting below C's in my GCSE's because right now I really want to get into Sixth form next year and I only applied to one of them. If I wont get 5 GCSE's over C grade, I cant get into it.
    All I can advise you is to ask your head teacher if the school can do after-school weekly sessions for students who need help. Don't revise too much, but don't leave whole revision for the last minute either. First of, revise the topics that you find most interesting perfectly well as they will get into your head faster, and leave the ones that you struggle with after. I know it's hard, but try not to get distracted by internet or social media.
    Thanks ! This has comforted me a lot, knowing I'm not alone. I think I definitely did my revising unhealthily now I think of it. Hopefully I can turn things around in the summer....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apolexian)
    Well, if you got one grade that was really bad i would get you, but considering all of your grades were pretty low i would say that you might want to consider actually studying a little bit harder. If you are already going out of your way to do anything possible to achieve higher grades i would have to agree with your teachers, not to be harsh but if you get all Cs and Ds on GCSEs you are either very lazy or just not really cut out for getting the A*s/As.In case you are just lazy, i would really recommend to start studying now. I did absolutely nothing for my GCSEs, like literally nothing, i did manage to get 4 A*s, 4 As and 3 Bs but when i got to As with the same mentality it all just collapsed.So ye, do a lot more work. The exams are quiet standard, so if you know your stuff there is a very small chance of getting below a A/B level
    These are not all my grades, just sciences. (I can't stand sciences, either.) I'm quite confident I will get As and A*s in some subjects, but a lot (ones I'm not really interested in) need the work and I'm struggling how.

ReputationRep:
    You can do it! It may be disapointing and downheartening but you are capable of doing it!

Someone I know had E's in a subject at the start of the year and worked hard and she got an A* in the subject. This may sound like hard work and it is - but it shows you it is possible.

You just have to believe in yourself and have motivation to improve your results. Take it as a lesson.

I have some tips as well:

Ask a teacher for help - it seems embarassing or you may think thet do not care - but just ask. It is thier job to boost your grade to your potential. If not your teacher - another teacher you trust.

Dont cram - it will NOT help. Revise little and often (30 mins to hour per subject)

Try various revision techniques. Dont just copy. Mind map, list, colour code, diagram draw... Everyones mind works differently and you need to find how you can recall things in your mind.

LOOK AT THE SPECIFICATION FOR THE EXAM This is honestly the best thing you can do if you want to fill gaps in your knowledge. I do not personally study WJEC but I study AQA for science and it will most likely be similar. For science EVERY key point is listed and you can use this to see what you know and need to know. Specifications have every bit of subject content you need and every exam question will be based on these points.
    You can then use your revision resources (internet, textbook...) and learn the knowledge the specification is telling you you need to know for your exam.
    (You find these on exam board websites with the past papers)

I hope this is helpful for you and let me know if you need any more help or advice. Know you are capable of doing it and don't give up. I know this part is a bit cheesy but it is true. Don't be the one that gives up because they have got a few bad results - I've seen that happen and it is not good for anyone - take the results and look at how you can improve them - twist it into positive.
    The most important thing other than this is to see how you learn best and remember things. You just need to put the work in to find this out.

EDIT: PS. Teachers have to let you choose what paper you do. You do get the choice. Maybe do a past paper to see how you do and show them. I don't want to say that they are wrong for pushing you towards it but in the end it is your decision. You just need to make sure it is the right one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura5746352)
    These are not all my grades, just sciences. (I can't stand sciences, either.) I'm quite confident I will get As and A*s in some subjects, but a lot (ones I'm not really interested in) need the work and I'm struggling how.
    If you are on course to get A*s/As in other subjects just try get Bs in ones you dont like really. GCSEs are important but not that majorly if you are not thinking of going to the top unis like oxbridge/Lse etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte.13)
    You can do it! It may be dissapointing and downheartening but you are capable of doing it!

Someone I know had E's in a subject at the start of the year and worked hard and she got an A* in the subject. This may sound like hard work and it is - but it shows you it is possible.

You just have to believe in yourself and have motivation to improve your results. Take it as a lesson.

I have some tips as well:

Ask a teacher for help - it seems embarassing or you may think thet do not care - but just ask. It is thier job to boost your grade to your potential. If not your teacher - another teacher you trust.

Dont cram - it will NOT help. Revise little and often (30 mins to hour per subject)

Try various revision techniques. Dont just copy. Mind map, list, colour code, diagram draw... Everyones mind works differently and you need to find how you can recall things in your mind.

LOOK AT THE SPECIFICATION FOR THE EXAM This is honestly the best thing you can do if you want to fill gaps in your knowledge. I do not personally study WJEC but I study AQA for science and it will most likely be similar. For science EVERY key point is listed and you can use this to see what you know and need to know. Specifications have every bit of subject content you need and every exam question will be based on these points.
    You can then use your revision resources (internet, textbook...) and learn the knowledge the specification is telling you you need to know for your exam.
    (You find these on exam board websites with the past papers)

I hope this is helpful for you and let me know if you need any more help or advice. Know you are capable of doing it and don't give up. I know this part is a bit cheesy but it is true. Don't be the one that gives up because they have got a few bad results - I've seen that happen and it is not good for anyone - take the results and look at how you can improve them - twist it into positive.
    The most important thing other than this is to see how you learn best and remember things. You just need to put the work in to find this out.
    Thank-you so much! This has definitely made me feel better, and you've definitely given a lot of tips. I'm definitely more motivated to resit them and try much harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura5746352)
    Thank-you so much! This has definitely made me feel better, and you've definitely given a lot of tips. I'm definitely more motivated to resit them and try much harder.
    No problem! I am genuinely glad you feel better. I know a lot of people who have given up - I'm in my second round of mocks this week and some people have just stopped trying when there is so much they could do about it.
    Let me know if I can help any more!

All the best for your exams

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about them too much, as scary as it seems - if you are well prepared for the exams then you will do fine. Do lots of exam papers, 7 or 8 lots of past exam papers will really boost your confidence and help you in preparation. Don't leave anything till the last minute and Study, study, study. If you want to know that you are cabale of getting top grades or want top grades then don't expect much of a social life. The only way of doing it is spending at least a few hours every night (minimum of 4 hours) on revising (on top of school homework too). Hard work and dedication are the only things that will get you to be a straight A/A* student knowing thats what everyone wants to achieve in their gcses beacause they are extremly important and determine your future from every next stage and give you that confidence you need. It must sound daunting but if it's something you want then you've got to put in the effort. It's not too late to start revising but it's best to give yourself at least a whole year if not more (i'm guessing you're in year 10). Plus you have to sit mocks anyway so if you want to be entered for the higher tears the you need to do well in those.

While having good grades are good in order to achieve them you have to give up a lot of time so be prepared! A note of encouragement: Getting A*s isn't as hard as it sounds so don't stress yourself too much. As long as you put some effort into it and always listen to your teachers in all classes beacause most/some of the things they will be teaching you may be in the exam papers and atleast you will do alot better then those who didnt take the lesson serously ,didnt listen in class, got kicked out oftenly, didnt turn up or come to school or bunked the lesson but think of the fact that you have put effort even if it was mostly just listening in class as a postive thing rather then a negative way by remebering you'll probably get at least an A or a decent grade but dont get me wrong still try, try and try an dont just depend on teachers, friends, peers or your parents beacause know that the only thing that may be stopping you from doing well or getting those good grades you want is you and it could even possibly be beacause of the fact you are not during homework at all even if you are revising and if you dont like whats going and want to solve this matter fix your problem asap
    and dont give up trying to and know that if anything bad or good happens during this period of your examaniation they will not be the people will will be siting beside you helping you out and you will have to take responsiblities for your own actions for whatever happens and when you get that feeling of sucess and achievement i am sure you will mostly feel very happy and proud of yourself know that you got those good grades and are cable for alot more especially in the future where you will know that beacause of yourself you got that bright future that you and your parents wanted you to have and you were responsible for your achievements and achievements/sucess sure do feel extremly good for sure especiallly when remembering those experiences/times knowing that the only reason you are at this position you may be at now is beacause you put in alot of effort and avoided being in the wrong state of posistion uncessarily beacause you know you have that confidence in yourself making you understobble and great .

if you really don't feel like doing another past paper, leave it for tomorrow because if you're exhausted, your results won't be as good anyway beacause you need your brain to function well at the time, good concetration and focus and an abilty to remember everthing you learnt beacause im guessing that scientist have probaly predicted that those who get less then 8 hours of sleep dont do as well as those who were probaly rested no matter how good there academical levels/grades are and i know for sure that just like studying for long hours well and hard, sleeping will also give you better confidence in what you are cabale of getting or achieving and remember to also have a good suitable breakfast beacause those who are hungrier probaly dont the good at all beacause they are stuck and confused about the fact that they can only think about food constantly beacause of their hunger. Anyway
    Best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.