Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been doing Aikido for a bit I love it but I also want to do one more martial arts I am not sure which one i love how effortless aikido is but I also want something else.I don't know what martial art I want to do I thought Taekwando but i am not sure whether it is for me really.Can anyone give me some comparisons between different martial arts please.

Well I cant. However dont do karate. That kata stuff is only gonna get you stabbed. Probably should do Judo. Aikido teaches you strikes n schit, so cover your weakness by learning a grappling based attack. Street fights often end up on the ground and they say grapples help with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Well I cant. However dont do karate. That kata stuff is only gonna get you stabbed. Probably should do Judo. Aikido teaches you strikes n schit, so cover your weakness by learning a grappling based attack. Street fights often end up on the ground and they say grapples help with this.
    Aikido is great for grappling gently putting your opponent onto the floor but I also want to do something else so I can mix the gracefulness and gentle Aikido with something a bit more aggressive grappling is good but I also want more skills.I never fight but I enjoy martial arts can you compare judo with tae kwando please.

(Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Aikido is great for grappling gently putting your opponent onto the floor but I also want to do something else so I can mix the gracefulness and gentle Aikido with something a bit more aggressive grappling is good but I also want more skills.I never fight but I enjoy martial arts can you compare judo with tae kwando please.
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I have been doing Aikido for a bit I love it but I also want to do one more martial arts I am not sure which one i love how effortless aikido is but I also want something else.I don't know what martial art I want to do I thought Taekwando but i am not sure whether it is for me really.Can anyone give me some comparisons between different martial arts please.
    wing chun
    the ip man movies are cool and show quite a few awesome fight scenes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2qHKXL-_vw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcF8uB57fQ

also this guy does videos on learning win chun etc on youtube of course here's his channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2N...x_PQvqaQGzxKxQ

ReputationRep:
    IM Humble O, aikido is only useful when someone statically grabs your wrist or lapels. in the real world it looks out of place and i would term this 'grappling' i would recommend any submission style of wrestling such as mala-Yuddha as the best thing you could learn, tho i doubt you will find a class in this country of any note. you can go to some mma classes they tezch a bit of basic grappling, and supplment with judo and jiujitsu

its always advisable to mix in striking proficieny so would sugest standard boxing, muay thai, or if you want to stay may dojo based, kempo is a good comprimise, though again has limitations

ReputationRep:
    tae kwando
    I did taekwondo (would help you if you got the right spelling of it...) ages ago and I can tell you that I am no better equipped to fight people than I was before I did it. Rather a waste of time unless you plan on doing it for years and years, which I did not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    IM Humble O, aikido is only useful when someone statically grabs your wrist or lapels. in the real world it looks out of place and i would term this 'grappling' i would recommend any submission style of wrestling such as mala-Yuddha as the best thing you could learn, tho i doubt you will find a class in this country of any note. you can go to some mma classes they tezch a bit of basic grappling, and supplment with judo and jiujitsu

its always advisable to mix in striking proficieny so would sugest standard boxing, muay thai, or if you want to stay may dojo based, kempo is a good comprimise, though again has limitations
    Which would I enjoy the most?I am not very fond of boxing and the standard western fighting styles.

Which would I enjoy the most?
    How is anybody but you supposed to know that? Do some research and learn what looks like fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    How is anybody but you supposed to know that? Do some research and learn what looks like fun.
    Well from their own experience they may have enjoyed a particular martial art thus they may think I would enjoy it is well.

Well from their own experience they may have enjoyed a particular martial art thus they may think I would enjoy it is well.
    They could do that for someone whose tastes they knew something about; they don't know you, what with this being a website that allows for anonymity (as you should know, given your username).

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing aikido for a few years too, but since I've moved away to uni I haven't been able to train as much. Since I've been looking for something where I am now, I found a really good sounding taekwondo place that I've emailed for a practise session or two. I'd say just try a few different things and see which you get along with

ReputationRep:
    I currently do tae kwon do and i wouldnt give it up for the world
    Its brilliant

ReputationRep:
    Which would I enjoy the most?I am not very fond of boxing and the standard western fighting styles.
    it depends - my background was in submission grappling in india so i took to brazilian jujitsu easily, i got into muay thai also which was very differnt but i enjoy that too. i see practical applications for both.

why dont you try differnet classes of each

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.