Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,in this thread i want you guys to describe your experiences of being either at a state school or at a private school.
    What really is the actual difference, in the future will we not have any private school?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well I can compare schools which are in larger cities whereas in urban areas.
    I used to go to a school in London, The building was huge and perfect for learning and it was clear that my school had a lot more money than the one that I go to now. However most of the students were afraid to ask the teacher of what they haven't understood, as the teachers used to be very strict and the school used to have a lot of rules which made local people think that it was a private school. When I moved more to a country side, the school teachers seem to be very helpful and nice, but a lot of people are under achieving. In London most of the people used to have B's and above in each of the lessons where as here less people have grades over C. Also, the school building where I go now is very small and not so good looking.
    BTW Damn Daniel ( if you know that vine :] )

ReputationRep:
    So I didn't go to a private school and in my case I think I would have achieved more from going to one. I got A's and B's which is good but think I would have been more focused and learnt more about life in general and how to behave better in a private school. But hey, I turned out ok.

(Original post by In2u)
    BTW Damn Daniel ( if you know that vine :] )
    :awesome::awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame parents for sending their children to private schools. I won't even start on quality of education, because that isn't actually the main issue. The real issue is social class.

(Original post by DANIELREED)
    in the future will we not have any private school?
    Thanks
    It would be great if in the future we had no private schools.
    Sad thing is, it's currently not possible. If we abolished all private schools, there would simply be too many students pouring into the state sector than the government has spaces and money for.
    We need to invest more money in expanding the state sector and improving the quality of education there first.

ReputationRep:
    Private dear students

ReputationRep:
    Been at both.

Private school:
    Pros
    - Excellent sporting facilities/educational facilities overall
    - Better table manners/attitude to food and meals
    - Emphasis on smart uniform/good manners
    - Emphasis on respect for teachers
    Cons
    - Some people weren't very down-to-earth/saw state schools as chavvy
    - Teaching not necessarily better for the money

State school:
    Pros
    - Free
    - Great education provided teaching quality follows Oftsed rating
    Cons
    - I noticed many students were a lot more fussy/ungrateful about food
    - Almost no sporting facilities to speak of except a run-down field and basketball court
    - Much more stingy about educational facilities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    Private school:
    Pros
    - Excellent sporting facilities/educational facilities overall
    - Better table manners/attitude to food and meals
    - Emphasis on smart uniform/good manners
    - Emphasis on respect for teachers
    Cons
    - Some people weren't very down-to-earth/saw state schools as chavvy
    - Teaching not necessarily better for the money
    This point is especially true in my case.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine described the advantage as 'facilitating aspiration'

Want to do pottery, need a CNC mill for a design project, learn to shoot or play a church organ or study Latin (or other 'rare' subjects)? CCF nitex - no minibus ride - Chinook helicopters organised by an old boy picked the cadets and flew them there! The facilities are there, and whether you find your niche in Latin, art, sport, CCF, drama, running a business, debating, cooking - whatever - there is probably something in place to make it happen and inspire. And anyone bad for business is eventually booted out.

I certainly didn't go to one famous enough for the 'old boy' network to be anything like people imagine (secret handshakes and guaranteed jobs etc.) and it did nothing for me. However, its facilities and opportunities, small class sizes, variety of ability graded sets and generally decent teaching i can't fault. Only negative might be that it was a factory: gcse, a-level, uni - no hint that anything apart from a-levels and uni being an option. Which today, maybe, is true?

Some level accusations at private school regarding the fact that they spoon-feed their students, are sheltered and middle class, disconnected from the real world.
    That didn't bother me at the time.
    And when the decision comes, unless there is a magnificent alternative, won't bother me when deciding where to send the next generation.

There will always be public schools in the UK because people are willing to pay for them - it's a business after all. And there is definitely a demand.
    Look into what is happening in Scandinavia - most people would never consider a private school there as it makes no sense. Says a lot about our system. Outside of the dozen or so truly elite private schools in the UK, there really isn't any prestige attached to it at all. And any f***s given about where you studied evaporate in the first year of uni.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think private schools are lauded as being excellent because of the quality of the overall education. Education is not only about arithmetic and verbal skills, I think it is about the whole being. This includes sports, arts, music and drama. I think the advantage of a private education comes after the core classes, because the students then acquire more skills that will complete the well-rounded education.

The other issue is the number of students in the private sector vs the state sector. A school with 800 'free' students will not fare better than a school with 400 fee-paying students. The resources just cannot go round to every student.

I am not arguing that state schools are bad, but having to support 93% of Britain's children with diminishing support from the government does not bode well for the quality of their education.

At an Oxbridge, UCL or Manchester admission interview, I think it is probably easier and more comfortable for a kid from Eton or Rugby to have an academic conversation with their interviewer because it has a similar setup as their school system with their tutors.

Finally, banning private schools will not solve the problems. Many ambitious parents, who can afford it, will send their children to the private schools in Europe, US and Australia. Then, they will return to become Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    You've gotta pay to go private its the only moral thing to do. Dont criticise private schoolers, criticise the megarich celebrities, the Cheshire footballing/pop star ******s who add absolutely nothing to the society and revel in debauchery. The average middle class accountant is doing the decent moral thing in sending his son to private school because even in good state school pupils will still throw chairs across the classroom and that is totally unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Private schools rock! Plebs gonna pleb.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.