Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling sad about drifting from university people Watch

I'm in my 2nd year at Uni and was offered and took up the opportunity of a placement year working. It just occurs to me every now and again with just a couple of university months left that this will be my last time(s) at university with everybody. When I say everybody, I don't mean friends alone as such but just that feeling of knowing everyone and knowing that this is the last of it. I recently met some great guys from Italy at my University and I just know that because I don't get to see them much and there's hardly any time left, there isn't any real time for me to develop those friendships. And then to think that after my placement I will be returning to University knowing just a handful of other people is somewhat sad to think about.

How can I fill myself with boundless positivity?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I was only good friends with 2 people before I did my placement and I still talk to them now. I did know people before that but we never really connected properly.

First, you identify who your close friends are or who you talk to a lot.
    Next, you make sure that you maintain that closeness before you go off to placement.
    Next, try to arrange meetups once in a while. Of course, talk to them every now and then asking how they are.

Understand that you will lose contact with a few people. This will happen and this is just the reality of life.

But then when you return to university you'll reconnect with those people, hopefully.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    95% of the people you meet at uni are temporary and will drop you like a hot potato as soon as you aren't convenient to them. The 5% who actually stay in touch with you make it worth it.

ReputationRep:
    get their phone numbers, get them added on facebook. invite the ****ers to a movie and go clubbing. friendships die naturally if you let them!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.