Turn on thread page Beta

Renault trafic auxiliary belt riped and jam in camshaft pully watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi when I was driving to work yesterday my Renault trafic was making a different noice and suddenly cut off and won't start. I was pushing with my assistant from main road to a residential park area about 1 miles then we called the recovery and towed the van. I have removed the bit pieces of auxiliary belt from camshaft pully but still not starting I have just got a quote with a mobile mechanic came and gave two solutions one replacing the engine two repair it. I'm really confused that can an auxiliary belt damage the engine? Can anybody help me with a good idea what to do next
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    First question, was it the aux belt or the cam belt that snapped? They're two different components. It sounds like it's the cam belt that snapped and in that case it's not surprising the engine won't start as the valves won't be moving. At the very least the cam belt will need to be replaced before the engine will run again, but it's quite likely that there's serious internal damage to one or more of the pistons/valves/heads etc.

If it's the aux belt that's failed it's much more minor, but from the problems you've described I think it's more likely to be the cam belt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    First question, was it the aux belt or the cam belt that snapped? They're two different components. It sounds like it's the cam belt that snapped and in that case it's not surprising the engine won't start as the valves won't be moving. At the very least the cam belt will need to be replaced before the engine will run again, but it's quite likely that there's serious internal damage to one or more of the pistons/valves/heads etc.

If it's the aux belt that's failed it's much more minor, but from the problems you've described I think it's more likely to be the cam belt.
    Thanks for quick response The cam belt is ok just the aux belt it's not completely ripped part of the aux belt gone into camshaft pulley and Jammed
    I will but also check the cam belts tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Hi just one thing as the mechanic man just tried to loose the camshaft bolt a bit Engine making a crank but won't start

ReputationRep:
    Kinda hard to say with any certainty, especially without knowing what engine you have (a quick google shows the Trafic with both a SOHC chain driven cam and DOHC belt driven cams). Best guess is the aux belt sufficiently disrupted the cam belt/chain to throw the timing out, so as an absolute minimum the timing would need to be reset. Worst (and not unlikely) case is the internal damage I mentioned before. It's all speculation without knowing exactly what happened and what state the valve gear timing is in though.

ReputationRep:
    Kinda hard to say with any certainty, especially without knowing what engine you have (a quick google shows the Trafic with both a SOHC chain driven cam and DOHC belt driven cams). Best guess is the aux belt sufficiently disrupted the cam belt/chain to throw the timing out, so as an absolute minimum the timing would need to be reset. Worst (and not unlikely) case is the internal damage I mentioned before. It's all speculation without knowing exactly what happened and what state the valve gear timing is in though.
    What if I just cut the aux belt and fully replace then try a start as I did full battery charge last night because the aux belt it was half way riped and look like jumped from its track please advice me if I do so will it make more harm to engine Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    If the engine's going to start it will do so without an aux belt in place. Get a socket on the end of the crankshaft and turn it over for a few revolutions before trying to start it, pull the glow/spark plugs out if necessary. If it jams up solid you can be pretty sure you have timing issues which need to be sorted before going any further.

ReputationRep:
    If the engine's going to start it will do so without an aux belt in place. Get a socket on the end of the crankshaft and turn it over for a few revolutions before trying to start it, pull the glow/spark plugs out if necessary. If it jams up solid you can be pretty sure you have timing issues which need to be sorted before going any further.
    Hi mate today morning I have cut and removed the aux belt and removed some riped belt pieces but still few in there I have uploaded few pics. As you said I will try to rotate the crankshaft later. Lot of cheaters garages talking about camber and engine as well but if you see in photos the cam belt is properly close no holes it's not possible I definitely think a jam in crankshaft pully or any one think it could be the crank sensor burned very complicated problem thanks for tips so far guysAttachment 510287510289Name:  image.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  517.0 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Update!
    Hi every one thanks for your valuable times and advices I had a mechanic coming today he was checked my cam belt and it's broken already I attached a pix. So it's Defo a danger in the engine. Can anybody tell me how much roughly the labour will cost changing the piston , valves and head gaskets etc. Incl. timing belt and every thing and also for the parts how much it will be because I have the price here from the mechanics he is going to do every thing to run the van for £600 incl. parts is it reasonable? Or bargain? Or expensive please advice me ThanksName:  image.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  439.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    1.9 Renault Traffi dci 100

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 10, 2016
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.