Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently taking my GCSE's and I've been doing really well. I've been getting A's in maths, science and quite a few other - which I'm happy with. But I suck at English! I know some people are more into stem subjects (I.E. ME) but I really need to bring my grade up, but I'm running out of time. I'm currently at a D grade.

Please any advice would be great!? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nursesforever2)
    So I'm currently taking my GCSE's and I've been doing really well. I've been getting A's in maths, science and quite a few other - which I'm happy with. But I suck at English! I know some people are more into stem subjects (I.E. ME) but I really need to bring my grade up, but I'm running out of time. I'm currently at a D grade.

Please any advice would be great!? Thanks
    Hey, just a bit of advice. I was at a D grade until around April and then a C grade and I managed to get an A for my actual exam! My advise would be to do every past paper question and as tedious as it may be, do them again! Try and time yourself accurately and don't be disheartened by your grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TianaEsther)
    Hey, just a bit of advice. I was at a D grade until around April and then a C grade and I managed to get an A for my actual exam! My advise would be to do every past paper question and as tedious as it may be, do them again! Try and time yourself accurately and don't be disheartened by your grade.
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going to give that a go! Hopefully it will help enhance my grade in time. I could do with getting a B really, so I'm going to have to work hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nursesforever2)
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going to give that a go! Hopefully it will help enhance my grade in time. I could do with getting a B really, so I'm going to have to work hard!
    Definitely! Don't aim for a B, aim higher!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    by english, do you mean language or lit?
    dont worry you can definitely do it, on my first language exam in 2015 summer. i got a D, which got remarked to a C, i was still not happy so i resat that unit in jan 2016 and got an A*, at the same time i sat my unit 2 language exam and got an A. Overall i got A for language.

the important thing to focus in this subject is accuracy of spelling, grammar, have a creative mind for story writing (or you know just steal a story and alter it as much as you can and bring in your own ideas if the story gets your mind thinking a lot), also be good at speeches, reports, letters, articles, brochure writing, MR bruff on youtube does short clip of these types of writing. he is generally helpful for english students at gcse .

the other element is comprehensions, there can only be so many type of questions they can ask you, once you learn what they ask for you'll be fine. for example WJCE eng lang comprehensions usually ask questions that require you to basically copy and paste quotes with your own definitions of what they mean, the next question asks you to look into the text deeper, the next asks about how the author presents thing. it's so systematic that i just learn their format and practise to get better

im not a STEM type of person, im more of an essay based subject person but even then english lang and lit is my worse nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    by english, do you mean language or lit?
    dont worry you can definitely do it, on my first language exam in 2015 summer. i got a D, which got remarked to a C, i was still not happy so i resat that unit in jan 2016 and got an A*, at the same time i sat my unit 2 language exam and got an A. Overall i got A for language.

the important thing to focus in this subject is accuracy of spelling, grammar, have a creative mind for story writing (or you know just steal a story and alter it as much as you can and bring in your own ideas if the story gets your mind thinking a lot), also be good at speeches, reports, letters, articles, brochure writing, MR bruff on youtube does short clip of these types of writing. he is generally helpful for english students at gcse .

the other element is comprehensions, there can only be so many type of questions they can ask you, once you learn what they ask for you'll be fine. for example WJCE eng lang comprehensions usually ask questions that require you to basically copy and paste quotes with your own definitions of what they mean, the next question asks you to look into the text deeper, the next asks about how the author presents thing. it's so systematic that i just learn their format and practise to get better

im not a STEM type of person, im more of an essay based subject person but even then english lang and lit is my worse nightmare.
    Thanks so much for the great advice! Just worried because throughout the year I've always been a couple of marks off a C,and it worries me so much! But I'm going to try my best to revise in the most efficient way. Thanks for the youtube link, I'll definitely check him out. And to the question you asked before; I'm doing English Language.

For me, I've been doing well in the reading section of the exam. The bit where you have to analyse and explain what the author's trying to portray; it's the writing section. I tend to go off topic, and find it hard to write page after page, based off one line. Any advice?

I think most people just find English language and literature, boring haha. Unless they love it, but for me... just no.

Thanks for the great advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.