Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Some universities eg.UCL have typical offers for some courses like medicinal chemistry which say AAA-AAB, so I wanted to ask when would someone be given the AAA offer and when would someone be given the lower AAB offer ? Does it depend on your predicted grades (the higher your predicted grades , the more likely to receive the higher offer instead ) ?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    This can be very situation and institution dependent.

I have seen a correlation in predicted grades and offers - i.e. if the offer range is say AAA-AAB and your predicted grades are AAB, it is more probable you will be offered the AAB.

However this is not guaranteed, and relies on both the university and the other parts of your application.

For example I applied to one uni for two course; geo (AAB-AAA range) and geo with a year abroad (AAA-A*AA range), and I was offered AAA for both. My predicted grades I believe are A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nihil_nimis)
    Hi,

Some universities eg.UCL have typical offers for some courses like medicinal chemistry which say AAA-AAB, so I wanted to ask when would someone be given the AAA offer and when would someone be given the lower AAB offer ? Does it depend on your predicted grades (the higher your predicted grades , the more likely to receive the higher offer instead ) ?

Thank you
    I cannot comment on UCL but there are usually 2 reasons for the range.
    1 The lower rate is a contextual offer depending on things like poor school, poor area, only member of family to attend uni etc.
    2 A lower offer is sometimes made if you are studying certain A level subject(s).
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    I cannot comment on UCL but there are usually 2 reasons for the range.
    1 The lower rate is a contextual offer depending on things like poor school, poor area, only member of family to attend uni etc.
    2 A lower offer is sometimes made if you are studying certain A level subject(s).
    Yes 1. applies to UCL. They operate a contextual offer policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nihil_nimis)
    Hi,

Thank you
    I got an ABB offer instead of AAA from Exeter because apparently my school isn't the best lmao. Sometimes it gets lowered if your interview is great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    I got an ABB offer instead of AAA from Exeter because apparently my school isn't the best lmao. Sometimes it gets lowered if your interview is great
    Exeter and Bristol both lower your grades if the school you studied your A levels falls in the bottom 40% of A level results. It doesn't usually get lowered on good interviews. For many courses there are no interviews

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.