Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If Arsenal fail to win the Premier League this season, Wenger must go! watch

ReputationRep:
    Evening folks.

I'm not a massively attached football fan in the sense that while i like it, i'm not tribal (actually tennis is the greatest sport) however after my stint of following Man U, recent seasons (13/14 onward) have seen me rather enjoy the style of play from Arsenal and i think they have the team that is capable of winning the league.

Despite calls from others i myself have always been a Wenger fan, he's the embodiment of what football clubs should be in approach and i love that he's tended not to simply buy the title (ironic considering i'm an ardent capitalist) and so i put aside the loss of 14 (Arsenal should/could have won it) and even last year where they should have cemented second and was again rather impressed with them for most of this season.

With all the above being said however i feel that the last month or so has seen a line reached. It's fair enough that Swansea can be put aside (hit the post/bar 3 times) and Barca (should have stayed deep in the second half as well instead of going for the win) however a number of other losses and draws have gone beyond the pale and the way in which the last 2 months will have seen them go from leading to being ~6 points a team whom they've beaten twice suggests to me that Wenger may not be able to cut it in terms of applying the appropriate pressure late in the season when the Champions League is secure but they need that final push for glory.

As such i contend that if Arsenal are unable to life the title this season (objectively they should be winning all but the Totenham and Man C matches before the end of season) then i'm afraid that as much as i admire the man, it's time for him to go.

*I should add that his replacement should be another long term manager though, i dislike the Man C situation of buying the best manager every 3 years or so.

ReputationRep:
    idk what to believe
    -the idea that you're not a "proper" fan if you only lurk around club forums to a) dish out vitriol towards the players/management whenever "your" team loses, or b) troll a rival team that loses just to feel all smug about it
    -or the idea that there is some conspiracy against your club by the refs, since when you start to beg for decisions to go in your favour you're obviously going to lose track of the game and make a mistake that leads to your team conceding.

imo Wenger's time is up. FA Cup saved him two seasons ago, but now he has the money and is not willing to spend it + he moans whenever decisions goes against him. Don't forget the excuses - Fergie is no longer towering over him, the oil clubs are having their off seasons and what do we get? 3rd (at best)! Which is where we've finished for 10+ years!

ReputationRep:
    Jimmy Savile, Arsene Wenger
    Arsene Wenger, Jimmy Savile

ReputationRep:
    I think the worrying thing is that other teams are not afraid to play Arsenal. They go into the game thinking they can win. Hell, Arsenal fans go into every game thinking the other team can win.

Only Wenger believes the team has "character" and "mental strength", and given how often he has to mention it, I'm guessing even he doubts it. (Next season I am going to count how many times each PL manager mentions "mental strength" in post-match interviews. I already know Arsene will win this competition.)

There is also a worrying disconnect between Wenger and the fans. Now I do think he should privately ignore the fans, and he should also ignore Henry (everybody should ignore Henry), but for example his recent mocking comments about how Henry couldn't tell if the fans were angry because of where he sits in the stadium - now that just shows he is completely out of touch. HELLO. Everyone could tell the fans were angry. It's one thing to pretend they are not and another to acknowledge they are but making reasoned decisions to ignore it. TBF I think the pressure is getting to him a bit.

I think he doesn't have good excuses but personally I don't think he should be forced out. He is not a complete disaster and meh. I'm a bit like you OP - not tribal, and probably as a consequence, not "angry". I'm just a bit sad for him, given how long he has been at the club. I was hoping he could leave on a high.

ReputationRep:
    If we don't win he should walk. Simple as. We've not had many big injuries bar possibly Cazorla and have lost to truly shocking sides. Any top manager with this arsenal squad and other teams faltering would walk this league

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.