Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in S5 and taking 5 highers in history, english, maths, biology and chemistry. I am really interested in history and think i want to pursue a career related to this field or another social subject.
    I was initially thinking of taking AH history and maths with crash highers in modern studies and business. However, I have recently started looking into archaeology and am really intrigued by it. Would it be better to, say, take AHs in maths, history and biology plus modern studies instead (some of my friends are taking an extra higher, as if we don't we have to do school service), as well as leaving my options open in case i change my mind?
    I got 5 As in my prelims last month so I think I would be capable of both workloads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy713)
    I am currently in S5 and taking 5 highers in history, english, maths, biology and chemistry. I am really interested in history and think i want to pursue a career related to this field or another social subject.
    I was initially thinking of taking AH history and maths with crash highers in modern studies and business. However, I have recently started looking into archaeology and am really intrigued by it. Would it be better to, say, take AHs in maths, history and biology plus modern studies instead (some of my friends are taking an extra higher, as if we don't we have to do school service), as well as leaving my options open in case i change my mind?
    I got 5 As in my prelims last month so I think I would be capable of both workloads.
    I love AH maths! couldn't Recommend it more obviously you have an interest in history hence your decision to do AH, but for AH bio you'd be adding a lot of extra work, especially around this time next year as you'll have a fully independent investigation in addition to your normal workload for other subjects so I'd say stick with your 2 AHs and 2 highers as, if you change your mind or decide on another entry route to your career, universities will probably favour more highers and many employers may look a little more favourably on H business
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    How about doing Higher Geography?

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who got a conditional offer for Archaeology, all Highers. He is hoping to leave this year (we're S5). Personally I would look at what the university wants and if unsure email them. At our school we have a limit of three Adv.Highers and no other subjects, 2 Adv.Higher and 2 Highers/Nat 5's, 1 Adv.Higher and 3 Highers/Nat 5's or a mixture of five Highers/Nat 5's to keep the workload down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.