Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Asghar Stanikzai :adore:

And then he gets out! :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing if Sri Lanka lose to Afghanistan then they'll have no chance at progressing, that's the influence Sanga and Mahela had on this team. Shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Yeah, it's true. Experience in these conditions is vital and England don't have that much. Tomorrow promises to be an exciting day with England VS South Africa and New Zealand vs Australia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could be the best day of the entire group stage, to be honest.

Australia are a puzzling team. They really don't place much stock in the T20 format, so I hope NZ deal with them well. Smith has preached pragmatism in the build-up, though. They don't have a spinner good enough to trouble NZ (Agar isn't good enough with the ball - he faced more balls with the BAT than he bowled during the BBL ffs and Zampa hadn't played an international T20 until three weeks ago), while the Black Caps' trio are obviously on form and bouncing with confidence.

As for England and SA? The toss is vital. Whoever wins the toss needs to bowl first and hope to avoid some of the dew after that.

(Original post by Aky786UK)
    ^As shown by Bravo's bowling which was highlighted in the Verdict - but still felt as they knew what he was going to deliver to improvise a tad more to be more aggressive. But West Indies T20 side has a wealth of experience, a shame their Test team is so depleted with experience.
    Good point.

I had a debate with a colleague earlier. He said that Gayle - no matter what England did - would have won the Windies the match. I disagreed, and felt our bowlers could have made life uncomfortable for him. What do you reckon?

Don't get me wrong, on days like that, he is unplayable. But England served up some absolute gifts and he didn't have to break a sweat.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mackay;63472371
    I had a debate with a colleague earlier. He said that Gayle - no matter what England did - would have won the Windies the match. I disagreed, and felt our bowlers could have made life uncomfortable for him. What do you reckon?

Don't get me wrong, on days like that, he is unplayable. But England served up some absolute gifts and he didn't have to break a sweat.[/QUOTE]

Gayle is containable but as the Verdict said, they gave some runs to Samuels which probably made a tad easier for Gayle as he wasn't under pressure to strikeout. He can be suffocated and he gives his wicket away but I think it's down to a lack of experience in the bowling ranks within England on those conditions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Afghanistan's bowling and batting was excellent again. It was only their fielding which let them down. No wonder they regularly and routinely bully the fellow associate nations. They are a real tidy outfit, and they pushed the reigning T20 Champions all the way today.

SL needed some strokes of genius from Dilshan - and Matthews at the death.

Afghanistan's bowlers never really looked like they were going to pull off a surprise, but they gave it a go and I thought their batsman did really well in rescuing the innings after a slow start which saw them lose four wickets cheaply.

They will rue those three noticeable misfields, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Could be the best day of the entire group stage, to be honest.

Australia are a puzzling team. They really don't place much stock in the T20 format, so I hope NZ deal with them well. Smith has preached pragmatism in the build-up, though. They don't have a spinner good enough to trouble NZ (Agar isn't good enough with the ball - he faced more balls with the BAT than he bowled during the BBL ffs and Zampa hadn't played an international T20 until three weeks ago), while the Black Caps' trio are obviously on form and bouncing with confidence.

As for England and SA? The toss is vital. Whoever wins the toss needs to bowl first and hope to avoid some of the dew after that.
    Hopefully it doesn't get ruined by rain.

Agree, I don't really see them as such a strong T20 team and there history in the WT20 isn't that great either, but they still have a pretty good team and are always dangerous in big tournaments. I doubt NZ will play all 3 spinners again, and Southee/Boult will likely come in instead.

England are gonna have a tough time, especially with a fresh SA team. All eyes will be on ABDV. If ABDV does similar to what Gayle did, then England will have been destroyed by two of the most dangerous batsmen in the world.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Hopefully it doesn't get ruined by rain.

Agree, I don't really see them as such a strong T20 team and there history in the WT20 isn't that great either, but they still have a pretty good team and are always dangerous in big tournaments. I doubt NZ will play all 3 spinners again, and Southee/Boult will likely come in instead.
    I imagine you're right.

Both Southee and Boult will probably come back in, but the two spinners who are dropped can feel really really aggrieved at being omitted.

All three of them offered something different, and without Lyon in their squad, you feel Australia would kill for a spinner of NZ's qualities.

In truth, I'm probably more excited for the NZ/Australia meeting tomorrow. England/SA will be great, but I always enjoy watching the former as a neutral.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Agar gets a start for Australia, but is taken off after one over having conceded a whopping 18. He got hit for fun by NZ, who have opted to omit Boult and Southee again (surprisingly).

Agar's held a couple of catches in the field, and NZ find themselves three down after a good start.

Really good game this.

ReputationRep:
    Shame to see Malinga injured and miss the rest of the tournament.

ReputationRep:
    Who do you think will progress in group 2. My prediction is New Zealand and Pakistan.

ReputationRep:
    Not a great start by England, 17 in just 2 overs. This SA team are capable of putting up 200+ if you're not disciplined in your bowling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    37-0 in just 3 overs with de Kock scoring 36 of those. Unbelievable.

36 in 15 deliveries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And... Topley drops Amla. Costly mistake, can't do that against one of the best batsmen in the world.

50 in 3.5 overs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Batting masterclass on show, albeit terrible bowling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    4,4,4,6,4 with a ball remaining. Jordan getting smoked in his first over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jordan getting taken apart so far 22 off an over and Amla now joining in.

ReputationRep:
    96 in 7 overs. Gutted I won't be able to watch the whole match.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Amla, caught of Moeens bowling. He's done his job anyway. Can't see SA scoring less then 210 tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Brutal from SA! 229 from just 120 balls.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Australia's batting was uncharacteristically appalling today.

Australia should have seen the game out after reducing NZ to just 143. That score was well below-par for a pitch like that, with wickets regularly and routinely puncturing their momentum.

Khawaja started in swashbuckling fashion, but they lost their heads and lost wickets throughout the innings which was a real shame for them. No wonder Smith lamented the batsman in his post-match interview, and press conference. I imagine Lehmann was livid.

Ish Sodhi was superb (again) and Mitch McClenaghan really impressed with his three wickets, while Australia's spin options of Zampa and Agar didn't pull their weight.

NZ are a real shout to win this entire tournament, you know. Williamson is showing signs already that he's a great captain and leader.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.