Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    i doubt there has been anyone better to win a game chasing in limited overs - id say in that category he already stands alone above SRT, Dhoni and ABDV
    There hasn't, and it will take someone extra special to beat Virat Kohli, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hard to find enough superlatives for Kohli. The man is a colossus. The way he keeps his head when all around him are losing theirs. Is there a finer chaser in world cricket? And if there's not, you have to wonder what the hell Smith was playing at sending in India second. 122.83 average chasing in T20s for Kohli. Remarkable.

As brilliant as Kohli was, I was delighted for Dhoni to hit the winning runs. He's the calmest and most collected captain I've ever seen (Smith could learn a thing or two) and, if India end up winning this World T20, they'll have done so with only two of their batsmen playing well. When their order clicks, they'll be unstoppable.

Kohli was exceptional at picking his shots: proper cricketing strokes, not slogs. He was wise, waiting for Watson (undoubtedly Australia's best bowler with figures of 2-23) to finish.

Speaking of Watson...my word did he contribute. Great catch to dismiss Yuvraj, and great bowling to get rid of Sharma and Raina (who are both under-performing woefully). It's been a heck of a ride, Watson. Nevill could have got out Yuvraj sooner mind, if he'd taken that stumping.

Once again Australia failed to perform against spin. I thought Ashwin and Jadeja would struggle, but they conspired to stump Warner (who has had a dreadful tournament, scoring only 30+ runs in four innings) and I thought Nehra was outstanding. Great captaincy by Dhoni, too, to bring Yuvray on. Dhoni isn't known for being experimental, but that choice was inspired and Yuvraj duly responded with the wicket of Smith.

Without Khawaja, Australia would have been lifeless. They managed a blistering start - 50 runs from 4 overs - but then the run rate dried up to barely a run a ball. Not good enough against this Indian side. They only managed 51 runs between the 5th and 14th over - and hit just three fours. That's uninspiring form.

ReputationRep:
    A cracking India-Australia game.

I really felt Khawaja's knock had set up an excellent platform for a big score but India pulled it back excellently and Nehra has been impressive leading the line - nice to see one bowler from South Asia brought back from the wilderness perform unlike others coughSamicough.

I have to say, I felt Australia might nick the game even at the 15th over mark. I underestimated Kohli who took the game by the scruff of the neck (cliche I know but so true in this instance) and drove his team over the line. I was in awe watching and thinking, how the hell do you get this guy out?! It must be an exasperating experience for bowlers. IDK if it was just me but I thought Yuvraj unnecessarily played a risk of his team's innings by carrying on - sure admire his resilience but from a team pov, if I was his captain, I'd given him the order to come off, let Dhoni come in to help pick up the ones/twos and Singh could have returned later if needed.

Kohli is King at this format - think there was a piece being discussed about Sachin v Kohli and the latter giving security; former gave hope. Give me Kohli's security every day of the week.

Afghanistan winning was wonderful - the wicket-keeper Shehzad, what a character! Shame the big three dominating world cricket affairs means teams like them get marginalised and they can't build on their success.

For the semis - New Zealand and India final.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have to admit, I was gobsmacked by Smith's decision only to deploy Zampa for two overs. He should have bowled his full quota for sure. Sure, Watson was devastating with the ball and Maxwell/Zampa struggled for 0-18 and 0-11 respectively, but they kept it tight and should have been allowed more time showing what they could do.

Zampa, in particular, has been a revelation this tournament and bagged the MOTM award against Bangladesh. He's young and deserves his chance. I hope they don't drop him and ruin his progress a la Agar.

(Original post by Aky786UK)
    For the semis - New Zealand and India final.
    Agreed. In Mumbai, you'd fancy India's batsmen to click (not just Kohli and Dhoni) and I can't see WI contending with them - even if Gayle shines.

Time for Rahane to get picked in my view. Raina and Dhawan are offering little.

ReputationRep:
    I got SA and WI the wrong way round in my predictions before the tournament

Has been a really good world cup, thus far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    I got SA and WI the wrong way round in my predictions before the tournament

Has been a really good world cup, thus far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure you did... :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Agreed. In Mumbai, you'd fancy India's batsmen to click (not just Kohli and Dhoni) and I can't see WI contending with them - even if Gayle shines.

I think India will fancy their chances of getting Gayle out early. After all they've had plenty of opportunity to "work him out" with the IPL. Get Ashwin on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nehra has been good for us. His experience has really showed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This has been far too easy for SA. Plenty has gone wrong for them in this tournament - injuries to Duminy, Steyn and a lack of bowling discipline causing far too many extras - but they signed off with a low-key victory today.

Spin was key, obviously. Phangiso, Tahir, Behardien all exceptional - and great to have Steyn back. This won't gloss over the problems for SA, but at least they signed off with a win.

Steyn/Abbott dove-tailed really well, and Amla's innings was fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    Sure you did... :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I realised that I said SA will be finalists, so I hope I was wrong about that cause that would mean that WI will beat India :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Worth remembering the women's competition has also reached the final four stage.

England Women vs Australia Women tomorrow, and NZ Women vs West Indies Women on Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    Yuvraj Singh ruled out of the WT20. Expect Rahane to play instead.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Bring in pandey for Raina as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Bring in pandey for Raina as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm, Raina offers a lot in the field and on a flat pitch (like mumbai) he normally does quite well. If Pandey is to play, I would drop Dhawan for Rahane and then bring in Pandey for Yuvraj.

A lot of pressure on Sharma, Dhawan and Raina though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whilst this isn't ideal (would rather kick out Sharma or Dhawan for Rahane) I am glad Rahane is getting some game time now.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Hmmm, Raina offers a lot in the field and on a flat pitch (like mumbai) he normally does quite well. If Pandey is to play, I would drop Dhawan for Rahane and then bring in Pandey for Yuvraj.

A lot of pressure on Sharma, Dhawan and Raina though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dhawan offers as much on the field. Tough call but I would Dhawan has the slight edge over Raina in who is more likely to do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Dhawan offers as much on the field. Tough call but I would Dhawan has the slight edge over Raina in who is more likely to do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I honestly don't think he is. He isn't a bad fielder, but he isn't as good as Raina. We are lucky that we have such good fielders now :lol: plus Raina gives Dhoni an option with the ball, too. Rahane is also a better option in the top 3 (especially in T20s).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    England opt for the same side, with NZ bringing in Milne. The pitch is likely to favour seam options, and this is the side that beat Australia.

Morgan won the toss and has sent in NZ to bat. He's obviously mindful of dew later on, but NZ haven't chased yet in the T20 and I'd have put myself in to bat first probably.

That said, England do better when their backs are up against the wall.

Not a very good start for Willey, mind. Gone for 11 in the first over.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I personally think India have kept their faith in both Yuvraj and Raina far too long. Between them, Rohit, Dhawan, Raina and Yuvraj have scored 181 runs at an average of just 11.31. Kohli has scored 184 runs alone.

Obviously, stats don't tell the whole story, but I'd have deployed Rahane a while back personally. Dhoni has suggested he'll only come in as an opener, though.

No surprise Pandey has come in - but it's been a while since he played any form of serious, meaningful cricket.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for England spinners today, can't see anything but very bad figures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.