Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in Year 11, expected 8/9A*s at GCSE. The one possible A being in Maths. I want to go to Uni to do Philosophy, and therefore am choosing Philosophy and English Literature for sure, with French as my third at the moment. I'm unsure whether to switch this out for Physics as it fits the whole Metaphysics aspect of Philosophy and I think it is better regarded (?). I'll also be taking an EPQ as a way of getting another qualification under my belt, as we cannot take 4 A-Levels. This will likely be in music composition as I'm quite good at it, but I suppose I could move that around...

As Maths is my technically worst subject, it would be logical to drop Physics, so how much Maths (and how hard) is actually involved at A Level? In Physics I get borderline A*s most of the time. I am good in terms of grades at French, consistently A*ing the GCSE course, but just plain don't like it, its dull. Physics interests me more, but the Maths side of things is my big drawback.

Hopefully someone on here can give me some guidance! Thanks!

The university won't tend to pick physics or French over each other, they will only look at what grade. I think for philosophy both subjects would be as equally impressive, but I warn you physics is really tough if you're not picking maths as an a level. The physics course is mostly maths.

I'm taking A-level German and IMO you cannot do well if you don't have a passion for it. Language A-levels are incredibly difficult & require a great deal of commitment and work outside of the classroom - of course all A-levels do, but especially so for languages. I love German to bits but even I find it consistently hard to motivate myself to work at it because it gets super difficult - I'm the only one who took it to A2 in my school, if that gives you an idea lol.

So, yeah. If you find French dull now it will make your life hell at A-level, to be honest. I wouldn't recommend taking it unless you're very enthusiastic.

Physics is probably best as the skills you learn in it can be applied elsewhere, if you are worried about the maths content, yes there is a lot but it will not be higher then c1 maths level even in the second year
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.