Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am starting my masters in education, in september assuming i pass my ba. And i was even contemplating doing a phd after this. However i was looking through the 100 hour internships today, and i found some quite tempting jobs, which would give me both valuable skills and experience should i be accepted for one after my m ed. So the question is, do i go for the internship or the doctorate?

ReputationRep:
    why not both? im an undergrad and ive had an internship for every summer ive been at uni, its still not enough for me to get a job in the sector I want due to competition so you might have to think about cramming more in to get the grad jobs you want to go for after your masters/phd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkAcid)
    why not both? im an undergrad and ive had an internship for every summer ive been at uni, its still not enough for me to get a job in the sector I want due to competition so you might have to think about cramming more in to get the grad jobs you want to go for after your masters/phd
    okay thanks for the advice. btw what sector do you want to go in to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    okay thanks for the advice. btw what sector do you want to go in to?
    conservation and ecology

ReputationRep:
    conservation and ecology
    And what year are you at your undergraduate degree? To be honest with you i'm so tired of working, i really don't want to do extra intern work over the summer. I need to have this time for me. Plus next year the masters i have chosen runs over three terms, and not two, so I don't think there will be time to do that anyway. But thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    And what year are you at your undergraduate degree? To be honest with you i'm so tired of working, i really don't want to do extra intern work over the summer. I need to have this time for me. Plus next year the masters i have chosen runs over three terms, and not two, so I don't think there will be time to do that anyway. But thanks for the advice!
    im in my second year so ill be going into my last year in September, I totally get what you mean ive worked 7 days a week for a year straight and knowing im going to have to do it again this summer and the summer inbetween my PHD or Masters just to get a graduate job is pretty ridiculous. its totally up to you but I do think you should push yourself to do at least one between now and graduating your masters/PHD itll really help your cv

ReputationRep:
    what is an internship?

ReputationRep:
    shawtyb, an internship is a taught/given job, generally by a 'red brick' university, in to a particular line of work. My university (Derby) offers them for a hundred hour slots, so basically full time for a month i think that is. Or i have even heard that some of them can be broken down in to part time. I'm not sure if open university offers such opportunities, but that being said you could find out. Google is your friend remember. Also, the the advantage i have is that the derby internship, is only open to students or graduates at derby. So there will be a limited number of people applying for the positions (and thus a greater chance of actually getting one).

I understand that experience is important, but so is spending time with the family. And given that i like working hard, and even gaming when i have the time, i have plenty of things to do as well as work for a job. This being said, it is something i am seriously considering, most likely after my masters/ research degree. Also there is no guarantee that i will get accepted for my research proposal (PhD) given that the majority of them are accepted. However I have been in discussion with two faculties, one here ate derby, the other in london, about this possibility. And we have agreed to wait until after i have completed my masters, before discussing this any further. I am actually signed up for a number of moocs at the moment, to pass away the time (massive online environment certificate/awards) or something. And shawtb, these are things you could do as well as your degree, if you felt, you had the time? Which it would seem like you don't at the moment. To be honest with you, the only reason why i am even taking on this extra workload, is because my degree is nearly finished, and i feel able to do so. However, the reason why i didn't do a mooc, or internship, at an earlier stage, was because i really didn't know whether i would make it. Thank God i have!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    what is an internship?
    see this link, may be of interest to you??

http://www.open.ac.uk/research/main/...se/internships

ReputationRep:
    im in my second year so ill be going into my last year in September, I totally get what you mean ive worked 7 days a week for a year straight and knowing im going to have to do it again this summer and the summer inbetween my PHD or Masters just to get a graduate job is pretty ridiculous. its totally up to you but I do think you should push yourself to do at least one between now and graduating your masters/PHD itll really help your cv
    Pink acid, do you think you can get a place on a postgraduate course, and what is you average grade so far? Plus what grade do you need to do a masters/research degree? And will you change unis to do this?

ReputationRep:
    Pink acid, do you think you can get a place on a postgraduate course, and what is you average grade so far? Plus what grade do you need to do a masters/research degree? And will you change unis to do this?
    i got firsts in every subject during first year and one 2:1, so far this year ive averaged a first and two high 2:1's simply due to my exam marks pulling me down. i didnt revise anything last semester due to one of our modules requiring us to teach ourselves R statistics within the space of 12 weeks with 4 essay based 5 page requirement per question sheets given out each week.

to do a masters you need a 2:1 or a 2:2 depending on where you choose, a PHD requires a 2:1 or a first. i need to change unis to do this as Derby doesnt offer ecological consultancy post grads.

ReputationRep:
    i got firsts in every subject during first year and one 2:1, so far this year ive averaged a first and two high 2:1's simply due to my exam marks pulling me down. i didnt revise anything last semester due to one of our modules requiring us to teach ourselves R statistics within the space of 12 weeks with 4 essay based 5 page requirement per question sheets given out each week.

to do a masters you need a 2:1 or a 2:2 depending on where you choose, a PHD requires a 2:1 or a first. i need to change unis to do this as Derby doesnt offer ecological consultancy post grads.
    are you at derby now as well then?

ReputationRep:
    yes, at kedleston campus

ReputationRep:
    yes, at kedleston campus
    me too, let's carry on this conversation in pm?

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.