The Student Room Group

English Literature exam

Sorry this may be quite long and probably annoying but I'll try to explain as best I can.
For the section B on the lit paper u must compare 4 poems, 2 from pre 1914 and 2 from post 1914, will it ask for example " compare Kid with another post 1914 and 2 other pre 1914 poems or will it say for example " choose 2pre and 2 post 1914 poems and compare and contrast them". If the former than would you essentially compare all of them together into one comparrison like compare a with c, c with d, b with a, d with c and so on, which to me seems ridiculous, or would you for example in paragraph one compare Kid with the other post 1914, para 2 compare kid with one of the pre 1914 and 3 compare kid with the other pre 1914. Sorry if this is hard to understand but i desparately need an answer.
Reply 1
Any one?
well...u'll get 2 pre and 2 post 1914.

Tips: Use comparisons (however, therefore, in contrast etc.) apparently the examiner puts a tick after every comparison u use...so USE them!!!!!

FLUENT LINKS between poems (V. important)

Start first with a statement about all 4 poems ("Digging", "Catrin", "On My First Sonne" and "the affliction of Margaret" all present ideas of family bonds.

I start with the named poem/ the first one mentioned and then when i get to a point tht can be linked with another poem i bring that in and compare that...don't get stressed about comparing them all to each other...its not needed for an A* :smile:

K xxx
Reply 3
oh thanks alot, so what your saying is what the examiner's are looking for really is the points u make over how you structure your piece? If so thats a load of my mind.
Reply 4
^Yep it's always the content over structure I find...I generally think quicker than I write so my structure is pretty messy, but I get good grades (*touches wood* for Tuesday) because all the points are there...

For your first question, I'd just check on the AQA site for past papers and see what the questions were like there.
Reply 5
has anyone got some kind of acronym for things u really need to think about in the exam, i know Pee - point, evidence, explanation. Anymore?
Reply 6
ROLE? I forgot what it stands for though.
Reply 7
hmm thanks for the input.

Latest