Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do men have to pay on dates? Watch

Not just dates, but also when it comes to say buying the groceries for the house, it's always the man that pays. Why?
    Feminists go out of their way to protest against the wage gap, sexual objectification and other forms of sexism, but no one bats an eyelid when it comes to issues like men being pressured to paying all the time.

I know most of the females on this forum will say that they wouldn't mind paying for their bit of the meal on a date. But let's not kid ourselves, in the real world men pay almost 99% of the time. I spent a year and a half working as a waiter at a fairly posh restaurant, and I never had any occasion where the female took out her purse. It was always the man who gestured to reach his back pocket to pull out his wallet. I've even worked on the tills at McDonald's and again, it was always the man who paid. I now work on the tills at Sainsbury's, and whenever I have couples coming in shopping, it is always the man who pays.

There is obviously some sort of societal pressure on men to pay.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't pay for it then don't Bruv

ReputationRep:
    you think its the man thats paying it could be a joint account 😛

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is a societal norm... men pay because of it.. and to be honest most waiters hand the bill to the man at the end of the meal, regardless of the type of restaurant one goes to. I dont complain for obvious reasons but i also dont think its right

ReputationRep:
    Very narrow minded. I also work in a posh restaurant and women pay all the time. My boyfriend and I take it in turns paying for dates. Men do not pay for everything, for all you know he might be treating her to dinner. as for groceries, it could be a joint account. But rest assured that "99.9% of men" (your unsourced statistic) are not being financially drained by women.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a lot of bigoted feminists saying that men must pay for all dates. They do it because they're sexist, insecure and just plain stupid. If you order something in a restaurant you pay for it yourself, you can't just expect others to pay it for you. The same applies on dates as well. It's common sense, but then again common sense isn't so common anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Because men earn more on average. If women were better paid, it would be fair to ask them to pay.
    Moreover, many dates start at the invitation of the guy, so if they "invite", it's logical that they pay.

dates are stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaintedLight)
    If you can't pay for it then don't Bruv
    That's all.

I think guys have a lot of pressure put on them, a lot of them can't afford being a provider. OP there's girls who don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Haha it's just been typical over the centuries because women could never have their own money because their father or husband owned it until literally a hundred and a bit years ago. And that was apparently a part of chivalry.

But; my opinion now. I hate when men pay for me. I hate when anyone pays for me, but especially men. It makes me uncomfortable, and *many* (not all, ffs, don't start screaming that it's not all men, we all know that) men have always expect something in return, even if I insist to pay for myself and they basically shove me aside to pay for it.
    But the "oweing them" thing many boys make up isn't my main problem. I just believe we should both pay for ourselves, or split the bill equally. I have money, he has money. We both pay. I have money and he doesn't, I pay for his coffee or the whole pizza. Or when he has money and I don't, he can pay for my tea and pizza or whatever, but I'll still insist on paying back with money or by buying the food and drinks next time.

Men don't have to pay for something just because they are men, but can simply out of the kindness of their heart. And vice versa.
    Women don't owe men sex, "a chance" or feelings just because he paid for her or was nice to her. And vice versa.

Equality, y'all!

ReputationRep:
    you don't have to pay lmao. tell that beetch to pay for her own food.

ReputationRep:
    Also, the person who invites someone on a date is the one to pay. So if someone invited me on a first *date* for example, to a restaurant, it's pretty much their responsibility to pay tbh. And in return, if I asked someone to come to the cinema with me for the second date, it would be my responsibility to pay because I was the one who invited them and planned it. sorry for the lengthy responses!

ReputationRep:
    Patriarchy.

I realise thats very much a SJW word. But its true. Its part of an old system that its an indicator that the man can be the provider. It assumes men will be the ones with the money and the woman will be the babyoven.

ReputationRep:
    My other half always insists on paying for dates, but occasionally I get him to accept me paying. Tbf, I'm at uni and he's working full time so it makes sense a lot of the time. When I finish uni and move in with him, I'll be paying for all the food etc. because I won't be earning proper money until September (teacher problems!) and so won't be able to pay much toward rent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not just dates, but also when it comes to say buying the groceries for the house, it's always the man that pays. Why?
    Feminists go out of their way to protest against the wage gap, sexual objectification and other forms of sexism, but no one bats an eyelid when it comes to issues like men being pressured to paying all the time.

I know most of the females on this forum will say that they wouldn't mind paying for their bit of the meal on a date. But let's not kid ourselves, in the real world men pay almost 99% of the time. I spent a year and a half working as a waiter at a fairly posh restaurant, and I never had any occasion where the female took out her purse. It was always the man who gestured to reach his back pocket to pull out his wallet. I've even worked on the tills at McDonald's and again, it was always the man who paid. I now work on the tills at Sainsbury's, and whenever I have couples coming in shopping, it is always the man who pays.

There is obviously some sort of societal pressure on men to pay.
    Because apparently sexism only happens to women. But at supermarkets most families consist of a housewife and a husband who works. Don't think thats sexist but rather statistical.

ReputationRep:
    I have a joke OP.

What do you call a woman who expects the man to pay for everything?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Single.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    I have a joke OP.

What do you call a woman who expects the man to pay for everything?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Single.
    Haha PRSOM - I actually laughed at that :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Not always the case. I pay for my boyfriend more than he does for me because I can afford to more than he can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (My opinion comes from living in America)

I worked at a restaurant and I would have to say I've seen both men and women pay for the meal.

Usually, men pay around the early stages to show they're "gentlemen". Personally, I think whoever asks you out first, should pay. If I asked the guy out, I'm going to tell him it's on me. Why? Because I asked him! If he asked me, I'll assume he'll pay. Now once our relationship passes the early stages, we'll probably start splitting on some occasions.

ReputationRep:
    How do gay people decide who pays for dates?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.