Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Naming Variables For A Mixed Methods ANOVA/Help Coming Up With An Appropriate Title Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

The study that I am conducting for my coursework looks into cognitive attentional biases' in alcohol-dependent drinkers.

I am not sure whether I have operationalised and named the variables appropriately, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback:

Between-subject factor: Alcohol (Alcohol drinking, type of drinker etc could also be used but I don't know the best way to express this) - Alcohol-dependent vs. Teetotal (is this the best way to accurately name the control condition of people who don't drink?)

Within-subject factor: Type of Information (Negative/Positive) - Alcohol-Related Words vs. Non-Alcohol Related Words

Or should it be:

Within-subject factor: Type of Word (Negative/Positive) - Alcohol-Related vs. Non-Alcohol Related

Dependent variable: Reaction Time (in ms) as measured by a dot-probe task.

Would an Alcohol Dependence Scale be used to assign participants to that particular condition? If so, how would the teetotal participants be assigned? Obviously, participants would have to fulfil certain criteria to be allocated to their respective conditions.

I would appreciate help coming up with a good title as well, and any other insights. I don't really understand how this sort of experiment would work, and what the previous literature would predict? If anyone could direct me to some reading, that would be great. I don't really know what a dot-probe task entails, and how it works in context to this study.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahJones101)
    Hello,The study that I am conducting for my coursework looks into cognitive attentional biases' in alcohol-dependent drinkers.I am not sure whether I have operationalised and named the variables appropriately, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback:Between-subject factor: Alcohol (Alcohol drinking, type of drinker etc could also be used but I don't know the best way to express this) - Alcohol-dependent vs. Teetotal (is this the best way to accurately name the control condition of people who don't drink?)Within-subject factor: Type of Information (Negative/Positive) - Alcohol-Related Words vs. Non-Alcohol Related WordsOr should it be:Within-subject factor: Type of Word (Negative/Positive) - Alcohol-Related vs. Non-Alcohol RelatedDependent variable: Reaction Time (in ms) as measured by a dot-probe task.Would an Alcohol Dependence Scale be used to assign participants to that particular condition? If so, how would the teetotal participants be assigned? Obviously, participants would have to fulfil certain criteria to be allocated to their respective conditions.I would appreciate help coming up with a good title as well, and any other insights. I don't really understand how this sort of experiment would work, and what the previous literature would predict? If anyone could direct me to some reading, that would be great. I don't really know what a dot-probe task entails, and how it works in context to this study.Thank you!

Between Subject Factor
    - Alcohol (Heavy/Light drinker (drinks more than X units a week) or Regular/Non Regular drinker? Drinks X amount of days a week/month)
    -Alcohol Dependent vs Non-Dependent vs Non-Drinker (Teetotal sounds a bit too informal to me but you can always check with your tutor)

I think "Within-subject factor: Type of Word (Negative/Positive) - Alcohol-Related vs. Non-Alcohol Related" sounds better to me and your dependent variable sounds good.

You could use a likert scale question such as "How often do you drink alcohol?
    1=Never 2=Rarely 3=Sometimes 4=Often 5=Very Often" and those answering Never would be Non-Drinkers/Teetotal and the ones responding Rarely/Sometimes/Often/Very Often could fill out the Alcohol Dependence Scale so you could assign them to dependent or non-dependent groups

Here are some studies you could read and that might help you with designing yours and coming up with a title.
    http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/38/1/45.long
    http://link.springer.com/article/10....213-004-1906-7 (This one uses a dot-probe task)

Hope this is any help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.