Turn on thread page Beta

Am I mad to decline Lancaster for Southampton, Leicester or Newcastle? Does RG matter watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I'm in the same boat, I'm deciding between Lancaster, Leicester and Newcastle for Computer Science. I've got offers from the first two and an interview at Newcastle next week.
    It's tough isn't it, where are you leaning towards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    Hey,

I was just wanting to get a bit of advice, I've got offers from Lancaster, Newcastle and Southampton for Linguistics (and English @ Leicester)

Looking purely based on league tables Lancaster is ranked the highest in the subject & overall so would I be mad to turn it down for Newcastle or Southampton who are RG and seem to have better graduate prospects or Leicester where my friends go...

I just want to know whether RG really matters and if you were in my boat where would you go?
    As a former Lancaster student, refusing your offer from there is probably the best decision you could make.

It's a dump of a University, in a dump of a city, run by a bunch of lying, deceitful bureaucrats who don't even think twice before screwing over large portions of the student body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    As a former Lancaster student, refusing your offer from there is probably the best decision you could make.

It's a dump of a University, in a dump of a city, run by a bunch of lying, deceitful bureaucrats who don't even think twice before screwing over large portions of the student body.
    What happened to make you dislike your time there and what did you study?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    What happened to make you dislike your time there and what did you study?
    You'll find other students who'll say the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    You'll find other students who'll say the opposite.
    No, that's very true just interested to hear why.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's depressing.
    It also tells you that universities and your degree are not much, UNLESS you have a load of work experience, of course this doesn't apply if you want your own business but you get the point. Choose the university you prefer, if you're going to go to a university (when they're all good universities anyway the ones you said) based on a few levels higher in the league, well that could be something you regret
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, it does motivate me, I've already got a fair bit of experience because I had to make my gap year worthwhile so I've volunteered with Deaf Blind UK, stroke groups taught English in Thailand over the summer lol.

I only got Bs in my A-levels so my experience helped get me offers from the unis in the first place as it made up for it so I understand the importance of it haha.

My only point was it was a bit depressing to hear that before even getting my foot in the door :L
    Now that's what I want to hear! If you keep going with that initiative and also get involved whilst at uni, you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    It's tough isn't it, where are you leaning towards?
    I'm on the fence tbh as I like the look of both unis that I've visited. I applied for CompSci with a year abroad which I've been offered at Leicester but Lancaster only offered it to me without the year abroad, however there's more bursaries on offer at Lancaster so I'd probably have about 20% less student debt at the end of it, but the chance to spend a year in Europe is really tough to turn down regardless of money. I haven't been to an open day at Newcastle so next weeks UCAS visit day will be my first look at the place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the fence tbh as I like the look of both unis that I've visited. I applied for CompSci with a year abroad which I've been offered at Leicester but Lancaster only offered it to me without the year abroad, however there's more bursaries on offer at Lancaster so I'd probably have about 20% less student debt at the end of it, but the chance to spend a year in Europe is really tough to turn down regardless of money. I haven't been to an open day at Newcastle so next weeks UCAS visit day will be my first look at the place.
    Yeah the bursaries at Newcastle are well good as well, it's one of the things I really like! I love Leicester, I really love the accommodation and the city is good and Lancaster is pretty decent and I like the campus. They're all good which makes it hard, with my course I go abroad in basically all of them away so it isn't as much of an influence but I think all of them can offer some form of year abroad. 😭

Where you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    It also tells you that universities and your degree are not much, UNLESS you have a load of work experience, of course this doesn't apply if you want your own business but you get the point. Choose the university you prefer, if you're going to go to a university (when they're all good universities anyway the ones you said) based on a few levels higher in the league, well that could be something you regret
    No it's a very fair point, thank you I never really thought of it that way

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the bursaries at Newcastle are well good as well, it's one of the things I really like! I love Leicester, I really love the accommodation and the city is good and Lancaster is pretty decent and I like the campus. They're all good which makes it hard, with my course I go abroad in basically all of them away so it isn't as much of an influence but I think all of them can offer some form of year abroad. 😭

Where you from?
    I'm from Macclesfield. Manchester is the closest good uni to me but I'm doing Access to HE which they don't accept without A-level maths alongside it hence the wider search. I didn't really want to spend another year getting it or do a foundation year.

I liked the fact that Leicester has a higher percentage of mature students and internationals who tend to be a bit older, I'll be 27 when I go and I feel like I might stand out a bit living on the Lancaster campus.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Macclesfield. Manchester is the closest good uni to me but I'm doing Access to HE which they don't accept without A-level maths alongside it hence the wider search. I didn't really want to spend another year getting it or do a foundation year.

I liked the fact that Leicester has a higher percentage of mature students and internationals who tend to be a bit older, I'll be 27 when I go and I feel like I might stand out a bit living on the Lancaster campus.
    Nah not really there's always the mature student society and at uni I get the impression it doesn't matter how old you are as long as you're a decent human lol.

27 isn't old at all!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.