Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    So i was just looking for some advice. I have a conditional offer to study diagnostic radiography next year at sheffiel hallam but i am in a dilemma as to whether to rent accommodation or to commute. I live about a half hour drive away and so i dont know whether to commute each day or to just live there. I would rather stay at home but im trying to work out if it would be possible. I have some questions if anyone could please answer them?? Thanks
    First of all, if you stayed at home, does this affect where u may be put on placement? For example if you stayed at home are you more likely to get posted to sheffield or chesterfield?
    Second of all, how would parking be around the campus? Ive heard it can be difficult to find a space but if u parked a few streets away and walked then could this be solved? And thirdly, if u were me wud u stay at home or move out?

ReputationRep:
    Hello Rachel
    Congrats on receiving an offer.
    Someone asked at the interview day, would they get higher preference to get a placement at Chesterfield as they lived there and would be commuting from there daily. They replied that they would take it into consideration but normally they only look at preference for special circumstances such as kids or if your a carer. so you could be somewhere close by like Chesterfield or Sheffield or you could be far out at Boston.

Can really help you about parking, as I've sold my car so haven't looked into it. But I believe it's recommended you don't try and park around the campus as it's normally very very busy. maybe look into commuting by train as the campus is only a 20min walk from Sheffield train station. Or maybe student parking? I'm not sure.

I'm a mature student and I'm planning on moving into the halls, I'll be grouped up with other older students. I'm doing an access course at derby university at the moment. I live fairly close to Derby university and the greatest thing is being able to nip down the road and I'm at the library. Honestly this has definitely improved my grades and ability to study. Everyone is different though, I prefer being close to the university.

Hope that helps come chat with the others Sheffield Hallam diagnostic radiographers applicants in the thread here.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3915997

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel2970)
    Hello
    So i was just looking for some advice. I have a conditional offer to study diagnostic radiography next year at sheffiel hallam but i am in a dilemma as to whether to rent accommodation or to commute. I live about a half hour drive away and so i dont know whether to commute each day or to just live there. I would rather stay at home but im trying to work out if it would be possible. I have some questions if anyone could please answer them?? Thanks
    First of all, if you stayed at home, does this affect where u may be put on placement? For example if you stayed at home are you more likely to get posted to sheffield or chesterfield?
    Second of all, how would parking be around the campus? Ive heard it can be difficult to find a space but if u parked a few streets away and walked then could this be solved? And thirdly, if u were me wud u stay at home or move out?
    Hi Rachel, i was in the exact same position as you as i live in chesterfield, after weighing everything up ive decided to live in sheffield for my first year! Would be nice to hear from you on the other sheffield chat whih jimmy has posted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel2970)
    Hello
    Hi Rachel,

I'll be commuting from Barnsley each day, probably catching a train to get to lectures and driving to placements. I believe parking near Collegiate Campus can be difficult, however if you were to move into halls you'd most likely be able to walk to your lectures. Halls are good for your first year, I can imagine being grouped with others in the NHS would make it more interesting too. I lived in halls when I completed my first degree and it was a good experience...I think you definitely grow as an individual living away from home for the first time.

Come and join us in our other thread Jimmy mentioned.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You need to work out a budget and look at the potential journeys on a map with times for if you live in Sheffield or you stay at home. I understand the extra expense, but dont forget being at Uni is more than just about your course and living in Sheffield will have the added advantage of easier access and better social life living with other students, which is part of the uni experience. No idea which campus you will be at but the main one in town you cna park for 50p an hour or the train station is a short 5-10min walk, so very commutable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.