Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, so I'm in my first year of college at the moment and I started with 4 AS levels and then had to drop one due to a medical condition that means I physically cannot do 4 (tires me out and whatnot). I've also missed a lot of college though it is all authorities due to good communication with the college, I'm doing well in my subjects still but I was wondering what I need to get done for uni prep?? Also, will I have enough UCAS points for a good college with 3 AS levels? I'm currently doing English Lit, History and Politics (dropped business studies). Will my attendance be an issue also??
    Sorry, I'm just really worried at the moment and don't know what I've missed and what I've not in relation to universities.
    Thank you (if anyone replies) (:

ReputationRep:
    As long as your teachers are comfortable enough with predicting you good grades then you should be fine getting into most universities Most only ask for 3 A-levels any way. Additional subjects are 'nice' but not needed.

Obviously 'oxbridge' will probably be ruled out. But even russel groups are still achievable depending on your grades

ReputationRep:
    Its fine with your attendance as the college/ sixth form will only show your authorised
    It will also be fine for 3 As as yes some unis only do ucas points for entry but most habe set grades for the whole a level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamlife)
    Hi guys, so I'm in my first year of college at the moment and I started with 4 AS levels and then had to drop one due to a medical condition that means I physically cannot do 4 (tires me out and whatnot). I've also missed a lot of college though it is all authorities due to good communication with the college, I'm doing well in my subjects still but I was wondering what I need to get done for uni prep?? Also, will I have enough UCAS points for a good college with 3 AS levels? I'm currently doing English Lit, History and Politics (dropped business studies). Will my attendance be an issue also??
    Sorry, I'm just really worried at the moment and don't know what I've missed and what I've not in relation to universities.
    3 AS levels is absolutely fine! I did 3 because 4 was far too difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)

Obviously 'oxbridge' will probably be ruled out. But even russel groups are still achievable depending on your grades
    I did only 3 AS Levels and got offers from Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    You're perfectly fine off doing only 3 AS-Levels. You can get into any top university provided that you do sufficiently well in those three.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you do really well in them you should be fine! The reason for doing 4 AS's is incase you don't do well you have an AS to fall back on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You only need 3 A levels to get into uni. Really the main issue is flexibility because normally you would drop the 4th in the second year but really don't have much of a choice when it comes to courses. A lot of unis when they ask for UCAS points it tends to be the amount needed from 3 subjects e.g. City university asks for 3 B's or 300 UCAS points (which is 3B's).

You will be fine. My brother got sick in lower sixth and had to drop an AS level so only has 3. His school wrote a letter explaining this which was attached to his UCAS application.

He now has offers from Durham, King's College London, Newcastle and Reading to read Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    Obviously 'oxbridge' will probably be ruled out.
    Kek no.

Neither Oxford nor Cambridge ask for more than 3 A-Levels.

Besides, OP, you don't apply to uni with AS. You apply officially with A2. As long as you have 3 A2 to apply to unis with, you're golden. AS are really only used as an indication of what you will achieve in A2.

And high-five, you're doing the same AS subjects as me! How are you finding them? For me, Eng Lit is my least favourite.

ReputationRep:
    Yes 3 a levels are absolutely enough and you might get a chance to do the EPQ depending on ur school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I did only 3 AS Levels and got offers from Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and Warwick.
    Interesting, I was under the impression UCL loved the 4th AS. My offer asked for a pass in it and I'd heard they expect it somewhat. Were you asked about it or did they just give you the offer if I might ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Interesting, I was under the impression UCL loved the 4th AS. My offer asked for a pass in it and I'd heard they expect it somewhat. Were you asked about it or did they just give you the offer if I might ask?
    They just gave me an offer; I didn't even know about that fourth AS thing till a few weeks after my offer. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Kek no.

Neither Oxford nor Cambridge ask for more than 3 A-Levels.

Besides, OP, you don't apply to uni with AS. You apply officially with A2. As long as you have 3 A2 to apply to unis with, you're golden. AS are really only used as an indication of what you will achieve in A2.

And high-five, you're doing the same AS subjects as me! How are you finding them? For me, Eng Lit is my least favourite.
    Exact same, loving History and Politics, I find them so interesting. English is just dragging a bit I think, we did Jane Eyre and I loved it, but now the other novels just aren't as good and I'm getting bored. Much better than science and maths though(: Good luck in your AS'!!!

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine I did 3 A-Levels (I'm in A2 now), didn't have a medical issue and got offers from Birmingham and Cardiff

Good Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.