Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

White people running Indian restaurant??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have yet to see a white person run a middle eastern restaurant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withengar)
    Food cultures are meant to be shared.

Otherwise, you, as an European, shouldn't eat chocolate, corn, tomatoes, peanuts and sweet potatoes just to name a few, since none of them originate in Europe. This idea that only the indigenous people can prepare and serve their own "national" food is ludicrous. Spaghetti and pizza are Italian, French fries are (ironically) Belgian, so are waffles, croissants and baguettes are French, wurst and schnitzels are German, bean stew and white truffles are Croatian and so on. The point here is that most of the foods and products we consume originate someplace else entirely. But through immigration, trade and movement of people, we shared our cultures and that's why it's perfectly okay for a white British person to run an Indian restaurant, just as it's okay for an Indian to run an Italian restaurant.

Finally, if British people only ate their own "national" dishes, you'd be stuck with fish and chips and Yorkshire pudding, so...shush.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty racist man... who cares who runs it.

ReputationRep:
    Only a tiny % of 'Indian' restaurants in the UK are run by Indians anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhotfire)
    I kid you not, I walk in to find all the staff were white British even the chef, I had to walkout and check the sign to ensure it was an Indian restaurant. I walked back in and the waiter asked me if I'd like a table I asked him what was going on, and he asked what I meant. I just walkedout without replying. Surely this is false advertising? I bet all they do is heatup ready meals and charge £20..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh I would probably be more willing to eat at an indian restaurant run by white people than indians. I'd be surprised if Rajesh even knew what heath & safety standards were :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Racist!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i went to McDonalds in Norwich & was horrified to find that none of the staff was American.

i split the joint mucho rapido. hot diggety. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I have yet to see a white person run a middle eastern restaurant
    you would be amazed at the size of my falafels :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you would be amazed at the size of my falafels :giggle:
    Lol show me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Lol show me
    this is just one :ahee:

http://www.jweekly.com/images/upload...fel%20ball.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Most food by white people is decent dude, doesn't matter what it is, if they're trained it's good.

Only thing that is lacking is the hotness, I find British 'spicy' food isn't really that spicy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmostNotable)
    I would call the police and have them all sent back to India.
    Don't say that. In fact India contributed 1.5 million soldiers in world war 1 and 2.5 million in ww2. Dude i think you should be grateful instead of being a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    I'd have a curry made by Rick Stein any day of the week.

There wasn't any need to just walk out without replying. You should of at least tried the food.
    have

ReputationRep:
    My father is an Italian chef and he's not Italian. Owned an Italian restaurant too.

But I just realized something! I live in America and all Indian restaurants are owned by Indians, all Chinese restaurants are owned by Chinese people. I think it makes it more authentic, personally.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like all the fired chicken shops are run by Americans, or that all the pizza joints are run by Italians, so why should all the Indian restaurants be run by Indians? There a lot of British chefs out there who can make a better curry than an Indian.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    There are a ton of Indian restaurants owned by Nigerians where I live:awesome:
    suck on that :awesome:
    I wouldn't trust it

ReputationRep:
    The owners of the restaurant must be tired from immigration enforcement taking all their profits, and decided to play it safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    That cultural appropriation tho
    pls no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withengar)
    Food cultures are meant to be shared.

Otherwise, you, as an European, shouldn't eat chocolate, corn, tomatoes, peanuts and sweet potatoes just to name a few, since none of them originate in Europe. This idea that only the indigenous people can prepare and serve their own "national" food is ludicrous. Spaghetti and pizza are Italian, French fries are (ironically) Belgian, so are waffles, croissants and baguettes are French, wurst and schnitzels are German, bean stew and white truffles are Croatian and so on. The point here is that most of the foods and products we consume originate someplace else entirely. But through immigration, trade and movement of people, we shared our cultures and that's why it's perfectly okay for a white British person to run an Indian restaurant, just as it's okay for an Indian to run an Italian restaurant.

Finally, if British people only ate their own "national" dishes, you'd be stuck with fish and chips and Yorkshire pudding, so...shush.
    Food cultures are meant to be shared yes, but I'd like mine to be authentic. It's not like anyone's saying that certain ethnicities should only eat certain foods. Anyone can eat what they like, but If I walk into a Chinese restaurant and the chef is Afro Caribbean, I'd walk out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.