Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonbabes)
    I'm curious..

Why did you choose dietetics?
    Well, Its a long story. I'll keep it short and simple. I used to be an obese young kid, but through the treatment of a Dietician from Greece I managed over the years to become healthy and get over my problems. (If you see pictures of me from 10 years ago you will not believe in your eyes :P ) So since the past 2-3 years that I got to choose a career pathway I realised that, this is the best choice for me. I like to help other people, and the department of health offers many opportunities too. In addition, I've got real life experience and I can understand people with weight problems, which means I can support them easier comparing to people who were never overweight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleftheriadis)
    Well, Its a long story. I'll keep it short and simple. I used to be an obese young kid, but through the treatment of a Dietician from Greece I managed over the years to become healthy and get over my problems. (If you see pictures of me from 10 years ago you will not believe in your eyes :P ) So since the past 2-3 years that I got to choose a career pathway I realised that, this is the best choice for me. I like to help other people, and the department of health offers many opportunities too. In addition, I've got real life experience and I can understand people with weight problems, which means I can support them easier comparing to people who were never overweight.
    Aw soo cute x
    Well I've always been a helpful person who was non judgemental like people that see anyone overweight / underweight assume they starve / eat too much,but I will consider the fact it could be due an illness.

I've always had this thing for diseases. Being a dietitian will help me improve or stabilise conditions by using nature eg. . Food products rather than medicines.

ReputationRep:
    Im mostly interested in cancer treatment regarding the nutrition. Chance is that you will not come across many disease treatments that you will learn. But I have to admit that it is fascinating!

ReputationRep:
    Im mostly interested in cancer treatment regarding the nutrition. Chance is that you will not come across many disease treatments that you will learn. But I have to admit that it is fascinating!
    Wait we don't learn cancer treatment?

We'll learn about nutrition related diseases eg. .survey

ReputationRep:
    Wait we don't learn cancer treatment?

We'll learn about nutrition related diseases eg. .survey
    haha sorry, I mean the nutrition treatment for people suffering from cancer. We will definitely learn how to treat this disease.After all dietitians are responsible for the diet of every patient in the hospital.

Your focus on people suffering from cancer is to help them maintain their weight, because due to chemo they tend to throw up all the time.That's why there are some juices especially for patients with cancer that have a lot of nutrients and vitamins that deplete dangerously quick.

Don't worry we will learn everything related to disease treatment with proper nutrition.

ReputationRep:
    haha sorry, I mean the nutrition treatment for people suffering from cancer. We will definitely learn how to treat this disease.After all dietitians are responsible for the diet of every patient in the hospital.

Your focus on people suffering from cancer is to help them maintain their weight, because due to chemo they tend to throw up all the time.That's why there are some juices especially for patients with cancer that have a lot of nutrients and vitamins that deplete dangerously quick.

Don't worry we will learn everything related to disease treatment with proper nutrition.
    Can't wait xx we will help people with different diseases eg. Cystic fibrosis, cancer, diabetes, IBS etc

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait xx we will help people with different diseases eg. Cystic fibrosis, cancer, diabetes, IBS etc
    yeap, although cystic fibrosis and diabetes, IBS etc are all mostly based on the same principles. For example, overweight people get treated like people with diabetes. Cystic fibrosis is very rare, but nothing special. Cancer is the real challenge :beard:

ReputationRep:
    yeap, although cystic fibrosis and diabetes, IBS etc are all mostly based on the same principles. For example, overweight people get treated like people with diabetes. Cystic fibrosis is very rare, but nothing special. Cancer is the real challenge :beard:
    True x

I'm only scared about the fact that hospitals are the main environment where you can catch diseases etc

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you'll build up antibodies by interacting with microbes daily :3

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you'll build up antibodies by interacting with microbes daily :3
    Aha X PLUS Were NOT Ganna Work Around Patients With Infectious Diseases so we won't catch it..

ReputationRep:
    Aha X PLUS Were NOT Ganna Work Around Patients With Infectious Diseases so we won't catch it..
    Not entirely true, You will have to meet them in order to get their medical report under their bed

But don't worry you won't get sick. My aunt works in a hospital for 30 years and never been sick as far as I can remember :P

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely true, You will have to meet them in order to get their medical report under their bed

But don't worry you won't get sick. My aunt works in a hospital for 30 years and never been sick as far as I can remember :P
    Yh but the patients won't have like HIV etc like we can't catch cancer

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point. :P

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point. :P
    . I've applied for biomed , nutrition, dietetics & biochem.

I prefer dietetics. Biochem & biomed are really lab based
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And you won't catch HIV either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    And you won't catch HIV either.
    Well I've realised the mistake lol.

But there's barely HIV patients that meet Dietitian. That's the only communicable disease they will work with
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well I've realised the mistake lol.

But there's barely HIV patients that meet Dietitian. That's the only communicable disease they will work with
    I'd be seriously worried if a dietician was doing anything that would put them at risk of catching HIV during a consultation with a patient.

Hospital dieticians will work with a vast number of patients (particularly with the low threshold for in-patient dietician referrals) and those patients will be suffering from a wide range of diseases, 'communicable' or otherwise.

My point mainly is you should be wary of making such statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    I'd be seriously worried if a dietician was doing anything that would put them at risk of catching HIV during a consultation with a patient.

Hospital dieticians will work with a vast number of patients (particularly with the low threshold for in-patient dietician referrals) and those patients will be suffering from a wide range of diseases, 'communicable' or otherwise.

My point mainly is you should be wary of making such statements.
    True my bad.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys..

I've got an interview on the 27nth. Anyone care to to tell what to expect... A bit nervous over here hahaha 😩🙈

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paidamoyo1)
    Hi guys..

I've got an interview on the 27nth. Anyone care to to tell what to expect... A bit nervous over here hahaha 😩🙈
    Just be yourself, they will not make you uncomfortable. They were pretty friendly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.