The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'd say geography just about scrapes in as a science since I think it's typically awarded with a BSc.

Some subjects may be a bit "between" such as economics, where some universities award a BSc while others a BA. It generally refers to worth the course is focused upon. A sports science course may be focused upon biomechanical stuff and be a BSc, or upon holistic athletic development in which case it's more of a BA.

It's worth mentioning that Oxbridge award BAs for all their subjects, so it's possible to have a BA in NatSci if you've gone to Cambridge, etc.

PS: Worst topic title ever.
Reply 2
Iscariot
I'd say geography just about scrapes in as a science since I think it's typically awarded with a BSc.

Some subjects may be a bit "between" such as economics, where some universities award a BSc while others a BA. It generally refers to worth the course is focused upon. A sports science course may be focused upon biomechanical stuff and be a BSc, or upon holistic athletic development in which case it's more of a BA.

It's worth mentioning that Oxbridge award BAs for all their subjects, so it's possible to have a BA in NatSci if you've gone to Cambridge, etc.

PS: Worst topic title ever.

Is the title better now? :biggrin:

So what is the title given to Social sciences and humanities? Can it either be BA or BSc?

Off topic: Iscariot, can you get onto a Medicine course with any BSc degree? What if someone did a BSc Geography degree and then wanted to do Medicine? :confused:
Reply 3
The boundaries are blurred. Geography, for example, fits under all of your headings.

And you're wasting you're time on the whole BA/BSc thing to be honest as they're both equivilant and can be awarded for pretty much any subject. As a general rule BA is awarded for arts and social sciences, while BSc is for sciences, but there are plenty of exceptions.
Law would fit into social sciences or humanities I guess.
Reply 5
tiasax

Off topic: Iscariot, can you get onto a Medicine course with any BSc degree? What if someone did a BSc Geography degree and then wanted to do Medicine? :confused:

At some institutions you can get onto a medical program with any degree, but most require a bioscience. It's a very long topic. If you don't have a bioscience undergraduate degree you may be required to have related A-levels with good results and/or sit a rather daunting entrance exam.
I'd personally say:

Arts
English
Languages
Art
Music
Drama
Media/film
Journalism

Humanities
Geography
History
RE

Social sciences
Psychology
Sociology
Politics
Economics
Law

Sciences
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

There are a few I'm not sure of though, like whether philosophy and business are arts or social sciences, and there is a lot of crossover. Generally the first three categories are BA and the latter BSc, but with some subjects you can get either depending on what modules you take. For example, I think physical geography is a BSc and human geography is a BA.
Reply 7
oooh thanks!
Reply 8
I'd also consider Engineering a whole section on it's own, as there are lots of different types of engineering.
Psyk
I'd also consider Engineering a whole section on it's own, as there are lots of different types of engineering.

Yeah, I didn't want to include anything like engineering or medicine etc because someone in another thread was discussing how they aren't pure science and since I know nothing about science, I didn't want to get into all that :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending