The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

OCR Computing F453 Official Thread
Date of Exam: 22/06/2016
As Computing threads tend not to come about until a couple of days before the exam, I decided to make this thread early :biggrin:
F453 in my opinion is nicer than F452, but this thread is here to help people with the exam and allow resources to be shared :smile:
I will kick this off with some resources:

Spoiler

As for some other questions:
How are people finding F453 when revising / learning?
Which topics are you less confident on in F453?
How is the coursework unit F454 coming along?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
HEY, do you by any chance have the June 2015 paper for F453
Original post by geekface98

I don't unfortunately, I have also been looking around for it
Ive sent out a few feelers... Il let you know if I find anything
Ive sent out a few feelers... Il let you know if I find anything

I have a printed copy of the 2015 paper... but of course I won't be able to upload it as our teacher did not send an email, but I can post the questions maybe? I don't have a mark scheme either though :[
Checking in.

How is everyone's coursework going?

I got F453 2015 paper pdf if anyone in need of it. PM me your email address.

:smile:
Has anyone got any resources/methods to help me succeed in coding questions on F452 since i'm retaking?
Original post by King_Kauko
Has anyone got any resources/methods to help me succeed in coding questions on F452 since i'm retaking?

Have you tried Codecademy? They have a lot of tutorials on programming languages and the tasks set helped me in F452 last year.

https://www.codecademy.com/
Checking in.

How is everyone's coursework going?

I got F453 2015 paper pdf if anyone in need of it. PM me your email address.

:smile:

I finished the coursework in December, our school had us start the coursework in June after AS exams. Our teacher is also a moderator for OCR, so he knows exactly how OCR want the coursework to be written and we are quite confident with his set grades for our coursework; hopefully they won't go down after moderation :smile:
Original post by Dapperblook22
Have you tried Codecademy? They have a lot of tutorials on programming languages and the tasks set helped me in F452 last year.

https://www.codecademy.com/

The thing is sometimes they only expect pseudo code so I can't go ahead and write code in Python (language we did), I guess some questions do require a high level language. But I will make sure I take a lot at the tasks and have a go thanks :smile:
I finished the coursework in December, our school had us start the coursework in June after AS exams. Our teacher is also a moderator for OCR, so he knows exactly how OCR want the coursework to be written and we are quite confident with his set grades for our coursework; hopefully they won't go down after moderation :smile:

That's very lucky! My 1st completed version of F454 hasen't been marked yet. Hoping to get a high mark though. I'm confident I can do well in F453 since I got an A in the theory last year but with not a lot of work. So for me my B/A/A* depends on the F452 result which I'm still not confident with tbh. (Need an A ideally to hit the A or A*)
Fairly relaxed about this exam; last year I mainly revised by learning the past mark schemes which worked well. How did people find F454?

F452 was hellish last year with algorithms taking complete precedence so this year I'm focusing content revision on the comparative in F453 (UML diagrams :redface:)
(edited 7 years ago)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9efg017qnqpq955/AABgmTzYLQjEeSkqvLw_DawPa?dl=0

I have attatched F453 June 2015 QP, F453 June 2015 MS, F453 Notes, F453 Difficult and Awkward questions, F453 Difficult and Awkward answers and F453 definitions.

Good luck everyone.
Original post by ryanroks1
Fairly relaxed about this exam; last year I mainly revised by learning the past mark schemes which worked well. How did people find F454?

F452 was hellish last year with algorithms taking complete precedence so this year I'm focusing content revision on the comparative in F453 (UML diagrams :redface:)

Same here really. I just learned the mark schemes and hit high marks in F451. Planning on doing the same for F453 as well as completing all the past papers. Fairly relaxed about it, the issue for me is bumping up my F452 mark because that exam didn't go the best for me :L
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9efg017qnqpq955/AABgmTzYLQjEeSkqvLw_DawPa?dl=0

I have attatched F453 June 2015 QP, F453 June 2015 MS, F453 Notes, F453 Difficult and Awkward questions, F453 Difficult and Awkward answers and F453 definitions.

Good luck everyone.

You are a savior :biggrin:, I will update the OP to include this resource :smile:
You are a savior :biggrin:, I will update the OP to include this resource :smile:

You are most welcome :smile:

It is surprising how little people are on this official thread in comparison to basically most other subjects...I suppose it will change closer to June!
You are most welcome :smile:

It is surprising how little people are on this official thread in comparison to basically most other subjects...I suppose it will change closer to June!

Yeah, not many people I know actually take Computing, the size of my class is 5 people
Original post by ryanroks1

I did exactly the same last year, I managed 100/100 UMS in F451 just by learning mark schemes alone. There was only one question I was unsure on, which was the bridges and gateways question.

F454 went quite well. I created a learning resource in Python for students to practice conversions from hex, octal and binary (forwards and backwards) and record their scores in a file for reading by the teacher as an admin.

I agree F452 was insane last year, I managed 80/100 on F452, but the algorithms were just too long to complete in the time they wanted us to.
Yeah, not many people I know actually take Computing, the size of my class is 5 people

Our class size is only 4 and we have 2 computing teachers for some of our scheduled lessons...quite good really :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest