The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lordyP
I'm hoping the 8 marker will be on virtual memory and we can just run wild and write about why it's needed and how it works and then about disk threshing

Yeah would be great!

Virtual memory/Paging/Disk threshing question waffle lol
Original post by aa15ron
Anyone else struggling with UML diagrams? Any tips/resources?

YES! There is a UML support document!

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/75768-unit-f453-unified-modelling-language.pdf

e. interpret class, object, use case, state,sequence, activity and communicationdiagrams;

f. create class, object, use case andcommunication diagrams;

In other words I would focus more on the ones you would be expected to create since interpreting is something you can sort of do on the spot whereas if you don't have knowledge to create one its easy marks lost :smile:

**Worth a read everyone tonight**
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by King_Kauko

e. interpret class, object, use case, state,sequence, activity and communicationdiagrams;

In other words I would focus more on the ones you would be expected to create since interpreting is something you can sort of do on the spot whereas if you don't have knowledge to create one its easy marks lost :smile:

Thanks! I can never figure out how to construct the right diagram.
I'm currently in year 8, going to start in the new GCSEs in yr 9. I was wondering if it would be essential for me to learn some coding languages over the summer? If it would be then which languages should I learn and where? (Apart from code academy)
Reply 264

Thanks 👍🏽
Reply 265
Predictions on how hard it will be?
Original post by LifeIsFine
I'm currently in year 8, going to start in the new GCSEs in yr 9. I was wondering if it would be essential for me to learn some coding languages over the summer? If it would be then which languages should I learn and where? (Apart from code academy)

You can learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript from http://w3schools.com (HTML and CSS aren't strictly programming languages, but if you learn JS then they are useful to know too). You can learn them on Code Acedemy too I think.

Python is also a good language to learn (which you can do on Code Academy)

It can be good to learn different paradigms of programming, too, so I'd also recommend Scheme - great resource for learning it - a functional programming language that helps you think about approaching programming problems in a different way. (Don't worry if you don't understand some of the mathematical examples - I didn't either until I learnt about them in maths A level)

It's one of the first languages that got me interested in programming.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aa15ron

Legacy could mean untested parts of the spec appearing, as experienced in f451/2. Although, for a paper which is just memory recital, it is hard to increase the difficulty(other than the diagram questions maybe).
Original post by aa15ron

Hopefully not difficult! I have high expectations LOL

Hoping a standard paper with repeated questions e.g. I don't think we will be limited time wise if it is challenging

We will have to wait till tomorrow
Has anybody noticed anything not covered by specification since it likely will appear tomorrow?
Has anybody noticed anything not covered by specification since it likely will appear tomorrow?

"describe algorithms for the insertion, retrieval and deletion of data items stored in stack, queue and tree structures;"

I think I've maybe seen one question on trees

"use SQL to define tables and views, insert,select and delete data and to produce reports."

Haven't seen very many SQL questions either. I feel like it's unlikely they'll ask us to write something in SQL though.

"discuss the concepts and, using examples,show an understanding of data encapsulation, classes and derived classes, and inheritance when referring to object-oriented languages;"

Not seen many questions about data encapsulation.
I feel like pretty much the whole spec's been covered.
Original post by ryanroks1
I didn't sit F452 yesterday but it might be worth emailing OCR if you feel there were any problems. I emailed them last year about that 'FreeMeals' variable error and they responded with a pretty lengthy letter that did mention complaints are taken into account during the awarding process (ie setting grade boundaries).

That mistake was ****ing hilarious. I couldn't believe it in the exam. Here's a screenshot of my script:
Original post by joef1337
You can learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript from http://w3schools.com (HTML and CSS aren't strictly programming languages, but if you learn JS then they are useful to know too). You can learn them on Code Acedemy too I think.

Python is also a good language to learn (which you can do on Code Academy)

It can be good to learn different paradigms of programming, too, so I'd also recommend Scheme - great resource for learning it - a functional programming language that helps you think about approaching programming problems in a different way. (Don't worry if you don't understand some of the mathematical examples - I didn't either until I learnt about them in maths A level)

It's one of the first languages that got me interested in programming.

Thank you so much!
Reply 273
does anyone have a list of the grade boundaries from previous years?
Original post by WhatIsSleep

"describe algorithms for the insertion, retrieval and deletion of data items stored in stack, queue and tree structures;"

I think I've maybe seen one question on trees

"use SQL to define tables and views, insert,select and delete data and to produce reports."

Haven't seen very many SQL questions either. I feel like it's unlikely they'll ask us to write something in SQL though.

"discuss the concepts and, using examples,show an understanding of data encapsulation, classes and derived classes, and inheritance when referring to object-oriented languages;"

Not seen many questions about data encapsulation.
I feel like pretty much the whole spec's been covered.

I really hope they don't throw some tree questions in there but it's more than likely.

I also doubt they will ask about data encapsulation, it's more likely they ask about local/global variables because its kinda the same thing. It would be a nice 2/3 marker though.
Are we safe to use the D1 method of quick sorting?

For some reason OCR prefer the pointer method, which in my opinion is much easier to explain/carry out.

I think the pivot method would be okay though, I've only ever heard of the pointer being on the left/right most value, starting the middle is news to me.

I think so as long as you describe what you're doing

On a mark scheme for a previous question about quicksorting it said "swap values that are in the wrong order" OR "partitioned into sublists less than pivot and greater than pivot", so either way of describing it works
Original post by Teshi
does anyone have a list of the grade boundaries from previous minutes?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/

(Put in the paper to the dropdowns and it gives the grade boundries and UMS)
Reply 279
Would someone be able to explain to me what a class and object are? Can't get my head round it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending