Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanroks1)
    A* in Computing, literally just on the border! My F454 was moderated down quite a bit though - not that I care!
    Same here, 180/200 so just made the A*! I was worried about F454 getting lowered, but luckily mine remained the same. Well done for your A* .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dapperblook22)
    Same here, 180/200 so just made the A*! I was worried about F454 getting lowered, but luckily mine remained the same. Well done for your A* .
    Congrats - the boundaries were definitely in our favour!! How was your 180 split? Mine was on the boundary for each - 108 in F453 and then 72 in F454!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats - the boundaries were definitely in our favour!! How was your 180 split? Mine was on the boundary for each - 108 in F453 and then 72 in F454!
    I acheived slightly less in F453 but higher in F454, 103 in F453 and 77 in F454.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow managed to miss an A by 5 UMS in computing.... ****
    however somehow managed to get an A in economics which i guess makes up for it....still exceeded my offer anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Got 92 UMS somehow, really thought the exam was easy, 11UMS below the A*

ReputationRep:
    Disappointed at only getting a B, thought I aced F453. Still got in to where I wanted to go though

ReputationRep:
    I got 79/80 for F454 then 33/120 for F453 haahhaha

ReputationRep:
    My F454 got moderated down from 76 to 55 😬 Luckily my F451, F452 and F453 were really high so I still got an A overall

ReputationRep:
    Could someone explain to me how the last answer is wrong? That answer has been on every mark scheme for this type of question.

Name:  F453.PNG
Views: 107
Size:  37.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Gray Fox)
    Could someone explain to me how the last answer is wrong? That answer has been on every mark scheme for this type of question.

Different scheduling has different priorities I think. As in First Come First Served the highest priority would be the first job entered. So each method of scheduling uses its own method of highest priority and high priority isn't a method of scheduling. I think anyway I could be wrong, sorry for it being poorly worded but I hope you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackpcraig)
    Different scheduling has different priorities I think. As in First Come First Served the highest priority would be the first job entered. So each method of scheduling uses its own method of highest priority and high priority isn't a method of scheduling. I think anyway I could be wrong, sorry for it being poorly worded but I hope you know what I mean.
    That could be it but I'm not too sure. With first come first served wouldn't it just process the jobs in the order they come in, irrelevant of priority? With round robin each user is given processing time, I don't think there is any priority just a continuous cycle. And for shortest job first it just chooses which to process based on which has the smallest execution time.

So I feel highest priority first is its own form of scheduling.

ReputationRep:
    That could be it but I'm not too sure. With first come, first served wouldn't it just process the jobs in the order they come in, irrelevant of priority? With round robin each user is given processing time, I don't think there is any priority just a continuous cycle. And for shortest job first it just chooses which to process based on which has the smallest execution time.

So I feel highest priority first is its own form of scheduling.
    Actually TV means too vague (I think), maybe you needed an example like "An interrupt from the printer buffer needing filled would be higher priority than saving a word document".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackpcraig)
    Actually TV means too vague (I think), maybe you needed an example like "An interrupt from the printer buffer needing filled would be higher priority than saving a word document".
    The question says to only state the scheduling algorithm and doesn't give me enough space to explain or give an example. Also I got the marks for the other two answers I gave and I didn't explain or give an example for them. Ironically the last answer I gave is more detailed than the other two.

ReputationRep:

I can't even remember if I put that as an option in my exam... I know the TV means too vague. I'm not even sure why that answer wasn't accepted, I assume the only other possibility was First Come First Served. Not sure myself on this one sorry .

ReputationRep:
    The question says to only state the scheduling algorithm and doesn't give me enough space to explain or give an example. Also I got the marks for the other two answers I gave and I didn't explain or give an example for them. Ironically the last answer I gave is more detailed than the other two.
    Yeah I see what you mean, I really don't understand how you didn't get the mark.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot see how your answer is too vague; I put 'priority queues' which gained the mark when my script was ordered back to use for staff training. If you're only a mark away from a border, definitely get a remark.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot see how your answer is too vague; I put 'priority queues' which gained the mark when my script was ordered back to use for staff training. If you're only a mark away from a border, definitely get a remark.
    Yeah I was one mark off the next grade for the subject. Pretty frustrating when things like the example I gave happened in pretty much every page of the exam. Doesn't help that my entire class's projects all got marked down by 7.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was one mark off the next grade for the subject. Pretty frustrating when things like the example I gave happened in pretty much every page of the exam. Doesn't help that my entire class's projects all got marked down by 7.
    I literally wrote highest priority job first and I got the mark. Sounds like you had a strict examiner-I would definitely get a remark. My F454 also got moderated down Sounds like they're being extra strict with the coursework this year.

ReputationRep:
    Just got my F453 remarked and it went up 6 marks! Now on an A, just if any of you were close to the next grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.