Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE choices for future lawyer watch

• View Poll Results: GCSE option for future lawyer
    Music
    28.57%
    Sociology
    71.43%

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm in year 9 and im chosing my options this week and I need to decide between sociology and music.. Music is one of my favorite subjects but i dont think it will help me to become a lawyer. And i haven't done sociology yet and once i pick i cant change the subjects. Could someone please get back to me and help me decide if i should do sociology or music? Also what subjects would you advise me to pick..

ReputationRep:
    Well if you want to be a lawyer you should pick sociology, I'm pretty sure if you're really struggling they would let you swap, at my school they let you change until Christmas of yr10, as long as you have quite a strong reason. music is quite a practical based subject, it's still 60% even with the new 9-1 spec, sociology however is not considered a strong enough subject because they are not redeveloping it, so it will still be A*-G

ReputationRep:
    I'd say sociology would be better if you equally enjoy both. If you have a music grade for an instrument from playing in your free time, and a sociology GCSE you can put both down in your university application, whereas if you pick a music GCSE you can only put one subject down. If you don't have a music grade for an instrument then taking a Music GCSE might be too difficult. However, I don't study either subject so am not an expert. See if you can talk to a careers advisor at school or a form tutor about what they think. Ask the sociology teacher what the course covers to find out how interesting you'd find it and ask the music teacher what grade you need to study it successfully at GCSE to check you could do it based on how good you are at music already. I very much doubt this decision will affect your ability to become a lawyer, so pick what you'd enjoy most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessie.ldn)
    Hi, i'm in year 9 and im chosing my options this week and I need to decide between sociology and music.. Music is one of my favorite subjects but i dont think it will help me to become a lawyer.
    It really doesn't matter - there aren't even any specific A levels that are required to read Law. Pick the one you think you'd enjoy the most.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to be a lawyer at a top firm/go to a good uni then they don't really care what subjects you do for GCSE but they DO care what grades you get- so go for the one you'll do best in

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend doing History if you're not already doing it. universities like it - many law applicants have A Level history so doing GCSE will keep options open as some sixth forms prefer you to have GCSE.

Sociology is not as highly regarded as some at GCSE or even A level so if i were in your shoes i wouldn't even think about it although i don't know how easy/hard it is.

music is very tedious, everyone i know who does it at my (selective) school cant wait to sit the exam and have done with it.

From someone who massively regrets their GCSE options my advice would be unless its paramount with regards to the A Levels you may take, choose the easiest options (RS, ICT, business...) - remember you have 11 other subjects to think about
    chances are universities will only look for B grade maths and english, the number of passes A*-C and the number of A/A*, not individual subjects

Humanities MFL and even Maths A Level will give you the edge over other candidates when it comes to Law university applications.

Good luck with your GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ermintrude1999)
    I would recommend doing History if you're not already doing it. universities like it - many law applicants have A Level history so doing GCSE will keep options open as some sixth forms prefer you to have GCSE.

Sociology is not as highly regarded as some at GCSE or even A level so if i were in your shoes i wouldn't even think about it although i don't know how easy/hard it is.

music is very tedious, everyone i know who does it at my (selective) school cant wait to sit the exam and have done with it.

From someone who massively regrets their GCSE options my advice would be unless its paramount with regards to the A Levels you may take, choose the easiest options (RS, ICT, business...) - remember you have 11 other subjects to think about
    chances are universities will only look for B grade maths and english, the number of passes A*-C and the number of A/A*, not individual subjects

Humanities MFL and even Maths A Level will give you the edge over other candidates when it comes to Law university applications.

Good luck with your GCSEs
    thanks so much for the help Well i've heard that many people who study law pick history for GCSE but I'm planning to do geography instead because i'm slightly better at it...Will it affect me if i choose geography instead of history? or does it not matter as much..

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much for the help Well i've heard that many people who study law pick history for GCSE but I'm planning to do geography instead because i'm slightly better at it...Will it affect me if i choose geography instead of history? or does it not matter as much..
    It will be fine. Probably the majority of people applying to read Law take English Lit or History at A level but neither is obligatory - Geography would be perfectly acceptable. As long as you choose academically credible A level subjects you can do pretty much any A levels you want.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm choosing my GCSEs at the moment and I want to go into law as well. So far the only thing that people look for from potential law students is essay based subjects and Computing is also a good GCSE to have according to this website which suggests subjects for jobs. I'm planning on taking History, Geography and either computing or RE as that is supposedly another good subject to take. Hope this helps you, have been trying to find as much as possible but there aren't really any set subjects. Goodluck!!

ReputationRep:
    Current third year law student here and never once have I been asked what options I took for my GCSEs so I think you'd be better doing something you enjoy and doing well overall in your GCSEs. You'll probably be able to do sociology at a-level. I did it, but I also did biology. From my experience, subjects haven't been a massive issue so I really wouldn't worry at this stage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hann95)
    Current third year law student here and never once have I been asked what options I took for my GCSEs so I think you'd be better doing something you enjoy and doing well overall in your GCSEs. You'll probably be able to do sociology at a-level. I did it, but I also did biology. From my experience, subjects haven't been a massive issue so I really wouldn't worry at this stage
    Thanks so much, since you're a third year law student could you explain it to me. So in Law school they focus on A-levels right? Which A-levels would u suggest me to consider taking?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, since you're a third year law student could you explain it to me. So in Law school they focus on A-levels right? Which A-levels would u suggest me to consider taking?
    The only thing I found was that some uni's didn't accept general studies. Taking any essay based subjects like English, sociology or law would definitely help but since a lot of course requirements are AAA or at least ABB I'd take subjects you're comfortable with and feel you can do well in

ReputationRep:
    Law has no specific requirements as such, although universities like candidates who demonstrate the ability to communicate points through writing. so a level History, Government and politics, english literature etc.. but thats only really significant at A Level. as long as you have one of those and another facilitating subject at A Level you should have a fairly strong application. as i say they won't look at your GCSEs in depth, only maths and english and number of A/A* grades. doing geography instead of history won't be a disadvantage, in face it would be better to have more top grades in your GCSE profile.
    Note that Law is NOT a preferred subject and will be of a disadvantage when applying to some universities.
    My mum became a solicitor except she studied french at university and did a common professional exam afterwards and qualified that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hann95)
    The only thing I found was that some uni's didn't accept general studies. Taking any essay based subjects like English, sociology or law would definitely help but since a lot of course requirements are AAA or at least ABB I'd take subjects you're comfortable with and feel you can do well in
    Sociology is a total doss, psychology far more respected and law is an active DISADVANTAGE when applying to some universities.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology is a total doss, psychology far more respected and law is an active DISADVANTAGE when applying to some universities.
    Law at A-level being a disadvantage is a complete myth. Also, chill out with the passive aggressiveness, I was giving advice 👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    Yes i've heard that law is a disadvantage but why? Also unfortunately in my school psychology is an A-Level subject only.

ReputationRep:
    So if i wanted to do MFL should i do my own home language (polish) or french since im one of the tops students in it?

ReputationRep:
    I also wanted to ask another thing. Does it really matter if i decide to pick combined sciences instead of triple science? If i want to be a lawyer

ReputationRep:
    So if i wanted to do MFL should i do my own home language (polish) or french since im one of the tops students in it?
    Both if possible!

ReputationRep:
    It couldn't make less of a difference OP.

Yes i've heard that law is a disadvantage but why? Also unfortunately in my school psychology is an A-Level subject only.
    There's nothing behind the claim at all. It's thought to be less impressive at A level than a more traditional essay subject, such as history, but the claim that it's an active disadvantage is just made up to be honest.

That is at A level. At GCSE, not to labour the point, but it doesn't matter. Do what you want to do.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.