Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just accepted an unconditional offer from Bournemouth as my firm choice so I have some questions about the university and area for any students currently attending!

1. What is the local area like? What would you recommend doing around Bournemouth during spare time?
    2. How easy is it to find a part time job to earn a bit of extra money?
    3. How is the night life?
    4. Which are the best halls to apply for accommodation?

anyone with an offer for cyber security management hmu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshlepine)
    I've just accepted an unconditional offer from Bournemouth as my firm choice so I have some questions about the university and area for any students currently attending!

1. What is the local area like? What would you recommend doing around Bournemouth during spare time?

Hi Joshlepine,

Congratulations on accepting an offer from Bournemouth University!

I am a student ambassador here at Bournemouth Uni and I am also a second year student studying Television Production.

1. If you enjoy the beach then you will enjoy the local area of Bournemouth. It’s a nice place to go for a walk or just chill out with friends on days you get bored. Another nice area to just sit and chill is the Lower gardens; it’s an open space which also has crazy golf and a hot air balloon in it. The new forest is also super close if you like the outdoors.

Other things you can do in your spare time is: go to the Odeon cinema, go bowling (They do cheap student days), go shopping in the town centre, grab some dinner (I’d recommend Turtle Bay the food is super good!), go for a coffee in the many cafes here, go to gym, go to sprinkles/creams for a desert. Also try goggling thing’s to do in Bournemouth and I am sure more options will come up!

2. Part time job wise I have quite a few friends who were able to find jobs. I didn’t personally apply to any normal part time jobs just because I didn’t know how much work my degree would take up. Instead I applied to be a student ambassador which I’d really recommend. You get to work different types of events and to work them all you have to do is put in your availability online and then later on receive texts and emails asking if you would like to work it or not. It’s super flexible that’s why I wanted to work for them, also the work is pretty enjoyable as well as its mainly talking to future students about university life.

3. Night life wise there is pretty much a different place to go on each night of the week. The main clubs are Halo, Cameo, Fire station, Lost Gardens, Yates. Then there’s other bars such as Revs, Walkabout, Bar so, Bonsai, Starkey’s, Infernos and of course there are loads of weather spoons around!

4. Accommodation hall wise they are all quite similar. If you stay in lansdowne (which is where the majority of halls are) you will be in walking distance of all the other halls and the town centre. All the lansdowne accommodation includes ensuites and a bus pass to take you to and from the Talbot campus. Then other accommodation options are the student village of Talbot Campus. Good for those who want to wake up 5 minutes before their lecturer! Also there is a hall in Poole called Corfe but it’s slightly out the way compared to the other accommodation.

Hope this helped! If you have any other questions feel free to ask
    Gemma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshlepine)

i am a first year and ive re applied through ucas to go somewhere else because its so **** here

1. absolutely **** the town is **** the best thing there is a sports direct and the beach is **** - the only thing there is the pier and the entire thing is taken up by this stupid soft play place (literally if anything didnt have to be outside its soft play and this huge ugly building takes up the whole pier)
    2. depends on the hours of your course
    3. **** - freshers was crap, triple entry fee's for "themed" nights ("project x" night was just red cups" after week 1 it was the same thing every week even till now (i've been here since september) theres nothing new or cool ever happening
    4. purbeck or lyme

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.