Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be living at Keele but I would like to bring a car. Is it ideal?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

If you're going to be living in halls on campus, then you won't be able to bring a car, although there are a couple of exceptions (see here)

ReputationRep:
    Don't bring a car, parking is really hard to find - you will have to park so far away it's easier to use the bus!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hiya

If you're going to be living in halls on campus, then you won't be able to bring a car, although there are a couple of exceptions (see here)
    Thanks for ur help 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iooi)
    Don't bring a car, parking is really hard to find - you will have to park so far away it's easier to use the bus!
    Thanks!! for the help

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to any of these people, including the universities official line. Firstly no one can stop you from bringing a car to campus and parking it on the road leading into Keele village; it's not uni property, and there are no yellow lines. I've kept a car on campus for the past year with relative ease.

If you're willing to take a few more risks parking on campus is also possible. The university recently changed the contractor they use to issue private 'parking tickets' note-these are actually just invoices and can generally be appealed for unjustly charging too much with respect to their loss. They do issue them more frequently however than they used to. Within the fringe car parks that are not right in the centre of campus, they tend to only check cars Thursday-Friday once at around 10 am and never on weekends. There are also, regardless of what people say plenty of spaces on campus if you know where to look, particularly around Lindsay, Barnes, Hollycross (LOADS of parking at Holly Cross) and often at the back of Horwood. Parking in the pay and display outside the union might be more crowded and is checked more frequently it costs £6 to park all day and £1 for two hours.

The impression that you can't have a car on campus unless your one of the chosen few is crap designed to conform to the uni's environmental agenda and unwillingness to provide proper parking on campus for the student population In the form of a multistory car park. In the private sector, almost no landlord would deny the available parking outside their building to its tenants. The way the university treats students with regards to parking is contemptuous and patronising at best. If you pay for a room on campus, you should expect to be treated like a customer, not a criminal.

The university employs so many power-crazed bureaucrats that write nasty emails threatening to withdraw you from the University, for things as trivial as being late with an accommodation payment due to student finance being late (as it often is). Even the email from accommodation informing you about the end of tenancy is patronising and unpleasant in its tone here is an excerpt:

"VACATING YOUR ROOM

You must leave your room by 9 am on Saturday 11th June 2016

YOUR BEDROOM

ALL BELONGINGS MUST BE REMOVED FROM YOUR ROOM? IT MUST BE LEFT EMPTY AND AS YOU FOUND IT

1. All posters and Blue Tak to be removed You will be charged for quantities of Blue Tak left on the walls and any damage caused to the walls by removing it
    2. Rubbish should be placed outside in the bins or recycle bins, as applicable. If you leave rubbish in your room the cost of removing this will be deducted from your room deposit and the cost divided between the students concerned. The cost you will be charged is 」5 per bag
    3. We reserve the right to charge reasonable costs for additional cleaning beyond normal requirements and any related administrative costs. The cost for this is 」7 per hour
    4. Furniture must be put back to where it was when you moved in. Make sure you remove all items from cupboard
    5. You will be charged for the cost of repair of damage caused or the replacement cost of a missing item
    6. You must remove ALL items from your bedroom and kitchen ? you can recycle some of these via the recycling points in your Common Rooms
    7. Compensation cannot be claimed for ANY items left behind ? these WILL be disposed of and you WILL be
    charged for their removal"

My point is there is a phenomenal amount of disrespect to students from the back office staff; they don't see you as fully functioning adults deserving of the same level of respect you would treat any other adult. They see students as easy to ignore and not worthy of the same level of respect they might give someone older and for the most part they are incredibly incompetent at their jobs, at least in my experience. The teaching staff are perfectly pleasant, but they are almost never who you are dealing with.

So in conclusion while living on campus be prepared for a torrent of abuse from your new 'landlord' that would most likely be illegal if a private landlord did the same thing. Oh and if they put you in a shared room, the dimensions of it are in fact illegal for two people to live in and aginst Newcastle council regulations, trust me ive checked.

ReputationRep:
    If I live at home while studying at Keele can I buy a parking permit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knowthetruth)
    Don't listen to any of these people, including the universities official line. Firstly no one can stop you from bringing a car to campus and parking it on the road leading into Keele village; it's not uni property, and there are no yellow lines. I've kept a car on campus for the past year with relative ease.

If you're willing to take a few more risks parking on campus is also possible. The university recently changed the contractor they use to issue private 'parking tickets' note-these are actually just invoices and can generally be appealed for unjustly charging too much with respect to their loss. They do issue them more frequently however than they used to. Within the fringe car parks that are not right in the centre of campus, they tend to only check cars Thursday-Friday once at around 10 am and never on weekends. There are also, regardless of what people say plenty of spaces on campus if you know where to look, particularly around Lindsay, Barnes, Hollycross (LOADS of parking at Holly Cross) and often at the back of Horwood. Parking in the pay and display outside the union might be more crowded and is checked more frequently it costs £6 to park all day and £1 for two hours.

The impression that you can't have a car on campus unless your one of the chosen few is crap designed to conform to the uni's environmental agenda and unwillingness to provide proper parking on campus for the student population In the form of a multistory car park. In the private sector, almost no landlord would deny the available parking outside their building to its tenants. The way the university treats students with regards to parking is contemptuous and patronising at best. If you pay for a room on campus, you should expect to be treated like a customer, not a criminal.

The university employs so many power-crazed bureaucrats that write nasty emails threatening to withdraw you from the University, for things as trivial as being late with an accommodation payment due to student finance being late (as it often is). Even the email from accommodation informing you about the end of tenancy is patronising and unpleasant in its tone here is an excerpt:

"VACATING YOUR ROOM

You must leave your room by 9 am on Saturday 11th June 2016

YOUR BEDROOM

ALL BELONGINGS MUST BE REMOVED FROM YOUR ROOM? IT MUST BE LEFT EMPTY AND AS YOU FOUND IT

1. All posters and Blue Tak to be removed You will be charged for quantities of Blue Tak left on the walls and any damage caused to the walls by removing it
    2. Rubbish should be placed outside in the bins or recycle bins, as applicable. If you leave rubbish in your room the cost of removing this will be deducted from your room deposit and the cost divided between the students concerned. The cost you will be charged is 」5 per bag
    3. We reserve the right to charge reasonable costs for additional cleaning beyond normal requirements and any related administrative costs. The cost for this is 」7 per hour
    4. Furniture must be put back to where it was when you moved in. Make sure you remove all items from cupboard
    5. You will be charged for the cost of repair of damage caused or the replacement cost of a missing item
    6. You must remove ALL items from your bedroom and kitchen ? you can recycle some of these via the recycling points in your Common Rooms
    7. Compensation cannot be claimed for ANY items left behind ? these WILL be disposed of and you WILL be
    charged for their removal"

My point is there is a phenomenal amount of disrespect to students from the back office staff; they don't see you as fully functioning adults deserving of the same level of respect you would treat any other adult. They see students as easy to ignore and not worthy of the same level of respect they might give someone older and for the most part they are incredibly incompetent at their jobs, at least in my experience. The teaching staff are perfectly pleasant, but they are almost never who you are dealing with.

So in conclusion while living on campus be prepared for a torrent of abuse from your new 'landlord' that would most likely be illegal if a private landlord did the same thing. Oh and if they put you in a shared room, the dimensions of it are in fact illegal for two people to live in and aginst Newcastle council regulations, trust me ive checked.
    I'll need to bring my car because I can't leave it anywhere else as I do not have any family in England. I've already been told that this will no be a good enough reason to get a parking permit.
    Can you maybe tell me exactly where you parked your car all year long. Did you ever have any problems finding a parking space?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.