Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know which modules to choose for next year! I did P1-P3 this year and gonna take it up to P6. I wanna complete my further maths alevel by next june, so I have to choose 6 more modules......

Do S1-S6
    Do M1-M6
    Do M1-M3 & S1-S3

I really don't know which ones to do....I may take M1 & S1-S2 in January, so I'll have less mods to take in June next year but I can't really make up my mind....What do you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    From experience, so far, I have done M1, S1 & S2. I found S1 really easy and got 77% without any revision (hence why im gonna retake), sat S2 yesterday, its a real jump from S1, and will be impossible to score well in if you dont understand the different distributions. As for mechanics, I dont study physics, I found the exam extremely difficult and will be expecting a poor result and thus a resit form lol. However from the guys studying physics in out group, they can do it without effort but struggle greatly overall. I must say also discrete maths is available and D1 (OCR) can be used as an AS Further Maths module and thats an easy points scorer. So Id recommend doing S1 M1 P1 for you Maths AS P2 P3 S2 (or M2 depending on what you prefer) as these are increasingly likely to help you achieve a high grade. However, most exam boards juggle the results that dont have to be in a certain catagory, around to obtain the best two results for you.

Hope this has helped

Streety

(DO S1 M1 D1 and see which you prefer so that you can do what you are best at and enjoy)

ReputationRep:
    Do S1 S2 M1-4 thus avoiding coursework in S3.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=streetyfatb] I must say also discrete maths is available and D1 (OCR) can be used as an AS Further Maths module
    QUOTE]
    Could you explain about d1 being used as an AS further maths module on ocr? We're doing p1-6 s1-2 m1-3 and haven't decided on another module we can do. Our teacher doesn't think we can do D1 as it won't count in the FM a' level but he suggests doing D1 and 2 as "they're only little"
    Would we be able to just do D1 and count it? I'd quite like to do them both anyway but if i could use them both i may be able to substitute them for my terrible mechanics scores...m1 was ok but m2 was really hard and no idea how i'll handle m3!!!! x

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=undercover-ange]
    (Original post by streetyfatb)
    I must say also discrete maths is available and D1 (OCR) can be used as an AS Further Maths module
    QUOTE]
    Could you explain about d1 being used as an AS further maths module on ocr? We're doing p1-6 s1-2 m1-3 and haven't decided on another module we can do. Our teacher doesn't think we can do D1 as it won't count in the FM a' level but he suggests doing D1 and 2 as "they're only little"
    Would we be able to just do D1 and count it? I'd quite like to do them both anyway but if i could use them both i may be able to substitute them for my terrible mechanics scores...m1 was ok but m2 was really hard and no idea how i'll handle m3!!!! x
    can you not just put your D1 towards your maths? i know further mathematicians who've done p1-p6, s1/2, m1/2, d1/2 and they all seemed to think it was a good mix. isn't p4 a comulsory module for further anyway, so should be counted there? my advice is do any modules you want and then the exam board will figure out which subject they all go in

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do D1-D2 as I'm gonna do compsci in uni but I'm international and no one seems to be teaching those modules here. I asked many teachers and none of them does it
    The ideal combo for me would be P1-P6, D1-D2, S1-S3 and the rest mechs...(1 or 2 units)
    I guess I'll start both and judge from the first exam..If I do well in M1 I'll do M2 too...If not, I'll complete the alevel with mods from stats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    I don't really know which modules to choose for next year! I did P1-P3 this year and gonna take it up to P6. I wanna complete my further maths alevel by next june, so I have to choose 6 more modules......

Do S1-S6
    Do M1-M6
    Do M1-M3 & S1-S3

I really don't know which ones to do....I may take M1 & S1-S2 in January, so I'll have less mods to take in June next year but I can't really make up my mind....What do you suggest?
    do M1-M6 mechanics is soo much better than Stats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    do M1-M6 mechanics is soo much better than Stats
    Yeah I've done S1 and S2 and they're much harder than the M modules... plus they're less interesting :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say do mechanics. I've always found Stats deadly boring anyway (I've done M3 - M4 and S1 - S3). I also think that M1 and M2 are easier than S1 and S2. Between M3 and S3 I'd say if anything M3 might be slightly harder.

(Original post by davedave)
    I think you'll find its S2 with coursework not S3 (I'm assuming you're doing 2000 specification). You have to have two units with coursework in both A level maths and Further Maths. Modules with coursework include M2 M4 S2 DD1 and DD2 (See http://www.mei.org.uk/level2.asp?R_Code=m1sa

ReputationRep:
    in edexcel
    No coursework in s2 ever since new syllabus

coursework is scrapped next year in s3, as well as m6 s4 s5 and s6 all being scrapped

edexcel anyway/

ReputationRep:
    Having chose to study pure and stats maths I wasnt expecting to have to do M1 instead of S3 as there were not sufficient teachers around who knew the syllabus for s3.

Although we had to learn the whole syllabus 3 months before the exam, I found it to be one of the best syllabus's I have ever come across. Compared to S1, M1 is so much more fun due to the more practical approach to questions.

I would definately rate mechanics above stats, but after S1 S2 is quite a decent paper aswell.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do at least 1 or 2 stats modules, because although i prefer mechanics, it gets very tough at the top end. For example, M4 is a lot harder than P4 and most of P5, so if you are considering doing up to M5/M6 be prepared to work hard. If you are ythinking about doing STEP next year it may be worth taking the very high modules as there are topics such as moments of inertia that often come up. I would say do either S1, M1-M5 or S1-S2, M1-M4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaffakidds)
    in edexcel
    No coursework in s2 ever since new syllabus

coursework is scrapped next year in s3, as well as m6 s4 s5 and s6 all being scrapped

edexcel anyway/
    Sorry - just assumed you were doing MEI! - I believe Edexcel is quite different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)

Do S1-S6
    Do M1-M6
    Do M1-M3 & S1-S3

M1, M2, S1, S2 are all pretty easy compared to pure maths. The mechanics modules require less revision, you can usually work out what to do by thinking about it. Stats is a bit arbitrary but with practise the formulae become easy to memorise.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help, I see that the last modules of each subject are always the hardest...
    I talked with my teachers today and I will do M1, S1-S2 and take them in January. Then I'll decide which modules I'll take to complete my a-level...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    Thanks for your help, I see that the last modules of each subject are always the hardest...
    I talked with my teachers today and I will do M1, S1-S2 and take them in January. Then I'll decide which modules I'll take to complete my a-level...
    M2 It's enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel have removed the coursework element in their S3.

John

ReputationRep:
    No longer any coursework in S3 for Edexcel.

JP

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 4, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.