The Student Room Group

trouble with picking my gcse's

I have a large variety of gcse options to choose from but i personally feel like i don't know what to choose for a law degree in the future.

I can choose four of the following...
Fine art
Design skills
Drama
Music
Physical education
Computer science
ICT
Business studies
Travel & tourism
French
German
Latin
Child development
Geography
History
Media studies
Religious studies
Sociology
Food preparation & nutrition
Product design
Systems and control
Construction- college course
Motor vehicle technology- college course
Salon services- college course

But my mandatory subjects are...
Mathematics
Triple science
English language
English literature
Citizenship
PSHE/careers
Religion and society
and a base level physical education.

thanks for your help xx
Original post by dontcrycraft
I have a large variety of gcse options to choose from but i personally feel like i don't know what to choose for a law degree in the future.

I can choose four of the following...
Fine art
Design skills
Drama
Music
Physical education
Computer science
ICT
Business studies
Travel & tourism
French
German
Latin
Child development
Geography
History
Media studies
Religious studies
Sociology
Food preparation & nutrition
Product design
Systems and control

But my mandatory subjects are...
Mathematics
Triple science
English language
English literature
Citizenship
PSHE/careers
Religion and society
and a base level physical education.

thanks for your help xx

A language would be good, as would history (essay subjects are highly favoured and you might want to study history at A level which would usually require a GCSE in it). Geography can also be handy in terms of having knowledge about human geography issues.
Law degrees don't tend to specify subjects, although the degree will consist of a lot of writing-based and logical thinking work so if you're really struggling maybe look at those subjects. Also, are you sure you want to do law? Don't pick your GCSEs based on that if you aren't 100% certain, because you might sacrifice doing something you enjoy more and regret it if you change your career choice in the future. As law is not that specific my best advice would be to pick what you enjoy most - you are going to be stuck with the subjects for a few years so go for what you like. However, I know it's a hard time when making decisions like this, so here are my personal opinions on each subject as a Year 11 student about to sit their GCSEs.

Fine art - Art requires a lot of work. Only do it if you enjoy it.
Design skills - No idea, we don't have this as an option
Drama - Quite difficult to pick up without acting experience
Music - Again, difficult to pick up without a Grade in a musical instrument already
Physical education - Seeing as you are doing a basic level in PE anyway, only do it if you enjoy PE
Computer science - A useful skill for the future as our world is so technology obsessed now. A good back-up if law doesn't work out. But if it is a new subject it could be a bit of a risk.
ICT - A useful skill for the future as our world is so technology obsessed now. A good back-up if law doesn't work out.
Business studies - It is very case study based. My friends do it and love it, but they say it is repetitive.
Travel & tourism - No idea, we don't have this option, but I'd say pick geography over it.
French - Languages are really useful and universities love linguists. If you enjoy it and are willing to work hard, go for it.
German - Languages are really useful and universities love linguists. If you enjoy it and are willing to work hard, go for it.
Latin - I know some Latin words are used it careers like medicine, but I personally don't see why a whole GCSE is necessary in it unless you really love it. If unsure about languages, I'd say choose French or German over it, but I've never done Latin so not an expert
Child development - Only do if you'd enjoy it as might not be that useful for law.
Geography - A really versatile subject that would open doors for Travel Law in the future. The best option in my opinion out of your selection if you enjoy it
History - Writing based and some schools look at crime and punishment over time. Useful for a law career but very difficult to remember the facts and figures. As a history student, to get a good grade it will require A LOT of hard work.
Media studies - I loved media studies, but not really that useful. I only did it as it was an additional option and didn't take the place of something else.
Religious studies - You are already doing RS as a mandatory option so unless you really love it it might be a bit pointless although it is a writing based subject.
Sociology - No idea, not an option at my school
Food preparation & nutrition - I don't really see the point of a GCSE in cooking. You can cook without a qualification in real life, unless you want to be a chef. But my friends really enjoyed it so again it's about personal preference.

The following ones are all career based. For example, take motors if you want to be a mechanic. If not, don't do it.
Product design
Systems and control

For law, I would say Geography History and Languages are most useful, but you will have to work really hard. But ask a careers advisor. I'm no expert. Good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
Also to add to what I said, GCSEs are unlikely to restrict you from going down a certain career path in the future. Most universities just ask for a Grade B at Maths and English if that. Check the UCAS website to see what GCSE grades universities you are interested in expect, but I very much doubt they will specifically require any GCSEs other than Maths and English. Treat your GCSEs as a way to find out which subjects you enjoy enough to study at A-Level. Try to pick GCSEs that you might want to study at A-Level, and ones where the A-Level version would be useful for law - anything essay-based basically.
Original post by Lavender3002
Also to add to what I said, GCSEs are unlikely to restrict you from going down a certain career path in the future. Most universities just ask for a Grade B at Maths and English if that. Check the UCAS website to see what GCSE grades universities you are interested in expect, but I very much doubt they will specifically require any GCSEs other than Maths and English. Treat your GCSEs as a way to find out which subjects you enjoy enough to study at A-Level. Try to pick GCSEs that you might want to study at A-Level, and ones where the A-Level version would be useful for law - anything essay-based basically.

UCL Like you to have a language at grade c or above, if you do not, you are expected to do languages modules to gain some proficiency at uni.
Hi, I just thought I'd give a more hands on way of choosing.
First go through the list and cross off any subject you don't want to do, there's no point taking something for 2 years that you would hate to do.
Next go to the teachers of the subjects you are seriously considering and ask them questions about the subjects. Ask them for past papers to see what the things you'll be covering in the subject are and don't be afraid to tell them what your career path is, chances are they have had past students wanting to do a degree in law too.

Quick Reply

Latest