Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The official thread to discuss the 2016 S1 AS Exam!

Exam date: Friday 15th June
    Time: 9 AM
    Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Resources:

ExamSolution S1 Lessons
    http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r.../S1/module.php

HegartyMaths S1 Lessons
    http://mathswebsite.com/a-level/edexcel/statistics-1

S1 Past Papers (2001 - 2014)
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...rs/s1-edexcel/

ReputationRep:
    https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc...%20Edexcel.pdf

Jan 11 paper, Q5b: for the mean, I understand that sigma t is already given but if i were to calculate sigma ft by multiplying the midpoints of time and frequency shouldnt i get 1414?

Have u guys finished reviding for s1 . If not how much prep have u done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blessed107)
    Have u guys finished reviding for s1 . If not how much prep have u done
    I've gone and done the papers from 2004-2007 so far. S1 seems to be a bit of a hit or miss for me. I just got a B on last year's paper.

ReputationRep:
    Guys there is some excellent Crash courses being taught at Birmingham Tuition Centre. Edexcel S1 and M1 Taught in 12 hours throughly over two days. Students in previous years have found very useful and gained 90+ ums

ReputationRep:
    For sd calculations, e.g. when a guy measures the height of 50 trees and records them or whatever, surely the S3 sd unbiased estimate formula applies??

ReputationRep:
    Who's just started revising s1 then? Focused on C1 and C2 now it's go time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honeystone)
    Who's just started revising s1 then? Focused on C1 and C2 now it's go time
    Haven't started yet.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Nikhilm)
    For sd calculations, e.g. when a guy measures the height of 50 trees and records them or whatever, surely the S3 sd unbiased estimate formula applies??
    Could you give an actual example of that? I guess the answer to your question would be no but it'd be interesting to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4nonymous)
    Haven't started yet.
    Same...probs going to focus on biology and chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Hello, can someone help me with this question please, I tried using the comparing formula, but I still got the answer wrong. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  500.1 KB
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by H-D)
    Hello, can someone help me with this question please, I tried using the comparing formula, but I still got the answer wrong. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
    What have you tried? (How have you compared them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM;[url="tel:65277945")
    65277945[/url]]What have you tried? (How have you compared them?
    Name:  image.png
Views: 1554
Size:  162.3 KBI tried using these formulas
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by H-D)
    Name:  image.png
Views: 1554
Size:  162.3 KBI tried using these formulas
    Right, so what numbers/calculations have you done for this question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H-D)
    Look at the base first 0-4 is represented by 0.5cm. So 0.5/4 =0.125cm. Each age is represented by 0.125cm
    Now take the population 260/0.5 = 520. This would be the vertical scale, but we can now see that we are using a scale of 1/100 to get the height.

Lets try the first question 16-44. This gives a width of 28. 28 x 0.125 = 3.5cm
    Now the height 1727/3.5 =493.4
    Divide by a 100 gives a height of 4.9cm
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone feel this paper will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkerz7)
    How does everyone feel this paper will be?
    It is not hard, everyone says its hard but it actually is not. The main problem is not reading/interpreting the question right OR if you make one silly mistake such a significant figure or even not typing into the calculator, it can cost you a lot of marks bc part a usually carries onto part b etc etc (Ofc you get ft marks though)

I just recommend you do as many past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    It is not hard, everyone says its hard but it actually is not. The main problem is not reading/interpreting the question right OR if you make one silly mistake such a significant figure or even not typing into the calculator, it can cost you a lot of marks bc part a usually carries onto part b etc etc (Ofc you get ft marks though)

I just recommend you do as many past papers.
    Sound

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    if you dont get an a in this paper you are a failure - 1st time i got 81 with little to no revision (didn't even finish the textbook) resitting to get 100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    if you dont get an a in this paper you are a failure - 1st time i got 81 with little to no revision (didn't even finish the textbook) resitting to get 100.
    Why you gotta be so savage LOL

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.