Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4nonymous)
    round and chose the closest one
    Yea that's what I usually do, but for the June 2013 (R) paper, question 4b, they needed the value of z for a probability of 0.85. I used 1.04, as it had a probability closest to 0.85, but the mark scheme used 1.0364.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    LOOOOOL june 13 r wasn't even that hard why is everyone complaining about it? i got 70/75 and finished it in 30 mins
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Haamoo7)
    Yea that's what I usually do, but for the June 2013 (R) paper, question 4b, they needed the value of z for a probability of 0.85. I used 1.04, as it had a probability closest to 0.85, but the mark scheme used 1.0364.
    you used the wrong sign hence you used z< instead of z> which requires percentage points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    you used the wrong sign hence you used z< instead of z> which requires percentage points
    Oh okay. I see where I went wrong now.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with this?

I was doing this past paper:
    https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc...%20Edexcel.pdf

and their reasoning for question 3d is very strange. Would I have gotten the marks if I had used 3(mean-median)/SD ?

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOOL june 13 r wasn't even that hard why is everyone complaining about it? i got 70/75 and finished it in 30 mins
    Alright big guns!

Some questions were a bit different, e.g. for 3D I hadn't seen that reasoning before and I did 3(mean-median)/SD so I'm not sure if I'd have gotten the marks or not.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question though. Using the method I did, it wasn't technically wrong. I reversed the inequality direction and made the probability 1 - the original probability, it's just that I did it to an insufficient accuracy.

The answer to that question was 14.5, and I got 14.4.

Would I still get the method marks and lose that 1 accuracy mark for the answer?

ReputationRep:
    Don't lie, you can't have finished a stats paper in less than 30 minutes, even if you got 70/75!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelegend99)

and their reasoning for question 3d is very strange. Would I have gotten the marks if I had used 3(mean-median)/SD ?

Thanks guys!
    mean > median >mode => postive skew
    im not sure about your method cus i dont usually use it, only if the question gives you the formula, but the mark scheme allows it for alt so it wont be the case

ReputationRep:

Thanks guys!
    Yes, any way of proving it's a positive skew is valid. The mark scheme are using: IF
    Mean<Median<Mode-- Negative skew
    Mean=Median=Mode-- Symmetrical (no skew)
    Mean>Median>Mode-- Positive skew
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Alright big guns!

Some questions were a bit different, e.g. for 3D I hadn't seen that reasoning before and I did 3(mean-median)/SD so I'm not sure if I'd have gotten the marks or not.
    what you didn't know about mean<median = negative skew ?

besides, it will tell you if you need to use this, otherwise learn page 67 of the textbook

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for speaking on behalf of all of us m8. You deserve a peace prize and two cookies.

ReputationRep:
    With normal distribution, when you have to standardize, do you have to look up the z value for 0.1 or can you just use it?

for example, P(X<200) = 0.1 (mean= unknown and SD= 7.8)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Thank you for speaking on behalf of all of us m8. You deserve a peace prize and two cookies.
    compared to the other papers, it is easy. Try june 10 (80 ums was 55/75 compared to 60 for june 13r)

When working out percentiles in continuous data do you multiply percentile/100 by n+1? and if so why?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what else I can do to revise at this point

ReputationRep:
    compared to the other papers, it is easy. Try june 10 (80 ums was 55/75 compared to 60 for june 13r)
    74 and 71 respectively for those papers and it wasn't easy. Js, what you find easy isn't what others will find the same. ATB for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any ideas on the hardest questions you can get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asinghj)
    I always do:
    If they are independent then P(B|C) = P(B)
    P(B) = 20/80 = 0.25
    P(B|C) = (4+3)/28 = 0.25
    Since P(B) = P(B|C) the events are independent
    And that would get 3 marks for sure?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, do you know where I could possibly get the June 2015 paper from?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.