Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by govandpolitics)
    need hard papers. Whats the hardest youve done?
    June 15 IAL

ReputationRep:
    Jan 2015 IAL, I scored the worst in this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angellll)
    Guys, do you know where I could possibly get the June 2015 paper from?
    edexcel site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhart1998)
    June 15 IAL
    I don't think it was that bad at all. I just felt a little time pressure but I've found the other IAL papers MUCH harder.

(Original post by Exavior)
    Jan 2015 IAL, I scored the worst in this one
    Yeah same here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    i'll let you in on a little secret - having a graphical calculator with certain settings allows you to solve varience / normal distrubutions and do basic probability faster than what I can do without it...
    Pls share! I have a graphical calculator.

Also, can you calculate probability with it?

Thanks once again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil20143)
    Don't lie, you can't have finished a stats paper in less than 30 minutes, even if you got 70/75!
    I finish s1 papers in about an average of 30 mins now. Once you've done quite a few it's just the same thing over and over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    I don't think it was that bad at all. I just felt a little time pressure but I've found the other IAL papers MUCH harder.

Yeah same here.
    Had the lowest grade boundary so only one I did. It was basically questions revolving around whether if u knew the method it was easy. But like many people probabaly had no idea where to start hence low GB. I got 67/75 somehow even tho I legit don't care about this exam much cuz not part of my uni offer

ReputationRep:
    BOX PLOT QUESTION HELP

When you work out outliers
    But none of the data falls into those outliers
    Then what is your highest and lowest numbers? Would it be the numbers on the data or the outliers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JT423)
    no they aren't the same:
    P([AnB]' is 1-P(AnB) (the part inbetween two circles)
    P(A'nB' is simply the part lying outside the two circles, 1-P(AuB)
    Ok thanks. Also other than this, what does the [ ] mean in probabilities?

ReputationRep:
    just did the june 15, got 57/75 annoyed. 2 marks off the grade boundary for an A

ReputationRep:
    Quick question, when they ask you to find for example P(1.5<x<3.5), in discrete random variable questions, do you always round down so it's P(1<x<3)? And if it's 1.8 instead of 1.5, do you still round down? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhart1998)
    And that would get 3 marks for sure?
    Let's look at the mark scheme,

first M1 mark for stating the values of required probabilities ( P(B|C) and P(B) for the way I did)

second M1 mark for use of correct test ( stating P(B|C) = P(B) for the way I did)

final A1 mark for correct conclusion (stating that they are independent)

So yeah that is 3 marks for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egge)
    Quick question, when they ask you to find for example P(1.5<x<3.5), in discrete random variable questions, do you always round down so it's P(1<x<3)? And if it's 1.8 instead of 1.5, do you still round down? Thanks!
    If its P(1.5<X<3.5) then you look at P(X=2) (since X has to be greater than 1.5 but in discrete random variables there can only be whole numbers nor the little x, so look at 2) and P(X=3) (again because <3.5 mean less than 3.5, there can only be whole numbers, so 3). So it's P(X=2) + P(X=3)

So you don't always round down. If it was 1.8 instead of 1.5 you'd still use 2 because 2 is the first outcome than is greater than 1.8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angellll)
    Guys, do you know where I could possibly get the June 2015 paper from?
    Edexcel's website

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully there aint going to be loads of justifiation questions like last year!

ReputationRep:
    January 2016 IAL was quite challenging.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have Venn Diagrams with the shaded regions for more difficult Probability notations?...
    e.g. P([AUB]') or P(A'nB)

Also is there any good material online about conditional probabilities cos I seem to really struggle with this too

ReputationRep:
    Anyone offer some help with part F of this question please? I know this was in your paper Zacken - any help please? Thank you!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    In relation to quartiles, when do I add 1 or not?

Am I ever meant to add 1 to the number before dividing by 2 or 4 (depending on the quartile I'm finding)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uberphuq)
    In relation to quartiles, when do I add 1 or not?

Am I ever meant to add 1 to the number before dividing by 2 or 4 (depending on the quartile I'm finding)
    If you hav DISCRETE data then the median is at the (n+1)/2 th position.
    If you have continuous data then the median is at n/2 th position
    So add 1 for Q1, Q2, Q3 if you have dicrete data

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.