Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I read on another thread (link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...949172&page=15) that if the mean is 50 and the coding is x/10 the mean becomes 0.5- but is that true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    mate - this has been asked countless times - I can't recollect there being an answer tho ahaha Have you checked the textbook?
    sorry I just got back from chemistry and do S1 straight away so havent check, that case was like an extra number added, but what if we code like v=x/1000, would it matter ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siamesedaffodil)
    Using a venn diagram..

...how would you work out P(A' U B) and P(A' U B'?? ? ?

Thanks!!
    In addition to the reply from earlier, I would say use the addition rule:

P(A u B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A n B)

It's often easier to visualise intersections rather than unions so use this if you're stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    Good luck everyone I'm done for the day. Just try your best
    thanks good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anndz3007)
    sorry I just got back from chemistry and do S1 straight away so havent check, that case was like an extra number added, but what if we code like v=x/1000, would it matter ??
    I'm so confused, because apparently they're all different for Sxx, Syy and Sxy

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please list all the things that can be coded and explain effect of coding on each of these things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogree)
    So, say you have 60 values. You want to work out the lower quartile. Do n/4 ---> 6/4 -----> 15. So you use the 15.5th value.
    Okay, but when I find the Q2, it's 60/4 which is 30, so I find the average of the 30th and 31st value?

ReputationRep:
    So, if you have a Coding where of say 2X+6, you ignore the +6. You multiply the Sxx by 4 (because that's 2^2), You multiply the Sxy by 2, and you don't multiply the Syy. That's what I saw from someone else. PMCC remains the same always.

Yes, that would be an example of when you would use that method.
    So Sxx = multiply by n^2
    Sxy = multiply by n
    Syy = no effect

Also are you 100% certain because I cant find much regarding this?

ReputationRep:
    So, if you have a Coding where of say 2X+6, you ignore the +6. You multiply the Sxx by 4 (because that's 2^2), You multiply the Sxy by 2, and you don't multiply the Syy. That's what I saw from someone else. PMCC remains the same always.

Yes, that would be an example of when you would use that method.
    so like if you got x=2a+6, Sxx= 4 Saa, y=4b+1, Syy= 16 Sbb , and Sxy= (2x4=8) Sab ?? just checked it in one example and it didnt turn out right

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any predictions for tommorw??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mina_)
    So Sxx = multiply by n^2Sxy = multiply by nSyy = no effectAlso are you 100% certain because I cant find much regarding this?
    I cannot claim I am 100% certain. But I have seen a couple of people say this. Is there an example Question anywhere?
    (Original post by Uberphuq)
    Okay, but when I find the Q2, it's 60/4 which is 30, so I find the average of the 30th and 31st value?
    That's exactly right. An example of this being used in Question 2 of Jan 2008.

so like if you got x=2a+6, Sxx= 4 Saa, y=4b+1, Syy= 16 Sbb , and Sxy= (2x4=8) Sab ?? just checked it in one example and it didnt turn out right
    I think that is right. Could I have a look at the example?

ReputationRep:
    I cannot claim I am 100% certain. But I have seen a couple of people say this. Is there an example Question anywhere?That's exactly right. An example of this being used in Question 2 of Jan 2008.

I think that is right. Could I have a look at the example?
    https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc...%20Edexcel.pdf

question 2, if you try to find d= Svs/Sss, you would not get the value as shown ??

Edit: It actually works, sorry its just me messing with Sxx Sxy value

ReputationRep:
    Can you use a black rollergel pen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mina_)
    So Sxx = multiply by n^2
    Sxy = multiply by n
    Syy = no effect

Also are you 100% certain because I cant find much regarding this?

so like if you got x=2a+6, Sxx= 4 Saa, y=4b+1, Syy= 16 Sbb , and Sxy= (2x4=8) Sab

Checked and it work, if only x is coded, Syy does not change, if both coded, they both would change

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=jessyjellytot14;65785699]Can you use a black rollergel pen?

It says no gel pens on the exam so i highly doubt it. I use the Uni-ball Eye ink pens as the flow similar to gel pens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetChilliCake)
    y=0.746+0.102x
    Also how do you do the last part of that question. I never understand them

ReputationRep:
    so like if you got x=2a+6, Sxx= 4 Saa, y=4b+1, Syy= 16 Sbb , and Sxy= (2x4=8) Sab

Checked and it work, if only x is coded, Syy does not change, if both coded, they both would change
    Sorry but what are you on about

ReputationRep:
    https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc...%20Edexcel.pdf

question 2, if you try to find d= Svs/Sss, you would not get the value as shown ??

Edit: It actually works, sorry its just me messing with Sxx Sxy value
    Yup it works. That's definitely the way to Code Regression. Fab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelegend99)
    hogree
    whoops hogree if events are independent, does that meant they're linked (does one affect the other)? Saw an example with two children being late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No problem.
    So i stalked your profile and saw you insured warwick over imperial. Why?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.