Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just to make sure, when drawing regression lines, the point goes through the mean, correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChilliLemon)
    Do we need to know about explanatory variables????
    Sort of. Remember it's an X-planatory variable, so on x-axis (independent variable)
    The other is the response variable.
    The only question I recall on exams is "which is the response variable?" Nothing high level.

ReputationRep:
    If n is an odd number then you just use the value in the number position or if it's a decimal round up to next position value.

However, if n is an even number then you have to find the midpoint between the 2 values, e.g. If n is 30, Q2 is the sum of the 15th and 16th value divided by 2.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not_lucas1)
    So if the Q is a whole number you add 0.5 and use the mean of the values its between? and if its a rational number you round it and use that specific number?
    Yes, but always round UP, not just round. That matters for Q1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisClothier)
    Not quite sure if you understand how the tables work, I think you should try figure out a way of using them that works for you, maybe a bit late now
    Ok, if you were given a random probability and there are probabilities on the table, which are close to your probability value. Do you choose the Z value of the one which is the closest?

(Original post by Mr T Pities You)
    Sort of. Remember it's an X-planatory variable, so on x-axis (independent variable)
    The other is the response variable.
    The only question I recall on exams is "which is the response variable?" Nothing high level.
    Thanks very helpful!!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone summarise and clarify which reasonings we need to know? For example why are mathamatical models useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HK4)
    Can anyone summarise and clarify which reasonings we need to know? For example why are mathamatical models useful.
    Chapter 1 of your textbook probably!

ReputationRep:
    when doing normal distribution when do you use this table, my teacher only did like 1 example with it
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and if you get a decimal round up and use that value.
    Thankyou!!

What is the hardest S1 Paper i can do before i sleep???????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SANTR)
    Ok, if you were given a random probability and there are probabilities on the table, which are close to your probability value. Do you choose the Z value of the one which is the closest?
    Provided it's not on the 'small table', yes. It usually doesn't matter which z value you pick (the one above or below)

ReputationRep:
    Provided it's not on the 'small table', yes. It usually doesn't matter which z value you pick (the one above or below)
    When drawing lines of regression, do we draw it through the mean value?

ReputationRep:
    when doing normal distribution when do you use this table, my teacher only did like 1 example with it
    When given a probability above a z value (and you are trying to find the z value)
    Look at the values for p though - there are only a few 'nice' probabilities in there.
    If it's an ugly probability that you're given, you'll have to find it in the big table.
    Key advice for any normal distribution question; draw a diagram!

ReputationRep:
    When P(Z>z) = p so the shaded area is to the right of Z and you do not need to subtract from 1.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Hopefully not.
    huh - a guy said you firmed warwick? oh hang on - if you got warwick and imperial; i guess you got oxbridge as well - in which case yh, hopefully i don't see you in warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrow_h)
    When drawing lines of regression, do we draw it through the mean value?
    Yes, (xbar, ybar) is on the regression line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChilliLemon)
    What is the hardest S1 Paper i can do before i sleep???????????
    June 2014 (R) had the most tricky 'standard' questions; hate that paper. Jan 16 IAL wasn't a standard paper imo and tested understanding quite well; loved doing it.

I'd do both if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollie1711)
    Thankyou!!
    No problem, good luck tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    huh - a guy said you firmed warwick? oh hang on - if you got warwick and imperial; i guess you got oxbridge as well - in which case yh, hopefully i don't see you in warwick
    Nah, I insured Warwick over Imperial. i.e: I had Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial and UCL and to choose a (firm, insurance) ordered pair, I chose (firm, insurance) = (Cambridge, Warwick). I'll probably end up at Warwick at the rate I'm going.

Good luck for your exam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.