Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasmineAladdin)
    P= 0.175 Q=0.15

Or possibly the other way around
    I got q=0.15 and p=0.0175 or something like that

ReputationRep:
    Actually quite enjoyed this morning ☺️ reckon the grade boundaries will be on the low side as well, which is a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think that's right. I can't even remember exactly

(Original post by Megan3245)

ReputationRep:
    This is where everyone is hiding today

ReputationRep:
    The probabilities have to add up to 1.
    ~Therefore (0.5+0.15+(2x0.175)=1
    for yours (0.5+0.15+(2x0.0175)=0.685
    ( I Think this is right)
    Hope that helps you understand

ReputationRep:
    this is what I got too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    This is where everyone is hiding today
    lol yep

ReputationRep:
    That's what I got

(Original post by Hannaha124)
    For the Rebecca and Sarah q I got that Sarah wins when X= 3/2 and 2 so 2/5 and Rebecca's wins when X= -2 -1 and 1/2 so her probability is 3/5. Is this correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the questions (if not all!) were worth very low marks (mostly 2 - 3 mark questions). Stingy examiners. Oh well, that means if we get a few questions wrong, our overall marks wont be affected too much

ReputationRep:
    HI does anyone know what they got for Sxy in question 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_IDE_sidf)
    Thankyou, that mishap cost me around 2-4 marks
    That's a shame, but don't worry too much about it, the paper was very hard and the boundaries will be low.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the questions (if not all!) were worth very low marks (mostly 2 - 3 mark questions). Stingy examiners. Oh well, that means if we get a few questions wrong, our overall marks wont be affected too much

True i just hope i get a C or above. this was my retake got a u last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CourtlyCanter)
    I said the Standard Deviation remained unchanged as the weight of the baby does not deviate from the mean weight of the babies.

I also said the Mean remained unchanged as it is the same as the mean weight of the 50 babies before the addition of this new baby.

Not sure if I got them right though. Someone please confirm or point out where I went wrong.
    I put that the mean remains the same, as you stated. However, I think that the standard deviation changes because if you look at the formula the Sum of x^2 values change and so does 'n' but the mean stays the same. If the calculation becomes different then the standard deviation would surely change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CourtlyCanter)
    I said the Standard Deviation remained unchanged as the weight of the baby does not deviate from the mean weight of the babies.

I also said the Mean remained unchanged as it is the same as the mean weight of the 50 babies before the addition of this new baby.

Not sure if I got them right though. Someone please confirm or point out where I went wrong.
    You are right mate!

ReputationRep:
    That's what I got
    Rebecca doesn't win when x=-2

OH **** **** **** **** ****

ReputationRep:
    That's what I got
    Rebecca's does not win when the score is -1. It's a draw. 1/-1 = -1 hence they have the same score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C. Dixon)
    You are right in saying that the value doesn't deviate from the mean, however this means that the standard deviation will decrease as the data as a whole will deviate less. The mean will indeed stay the same.
    SD will not change! SD is root of sum of X - X bar divided by n. So as X- X bar is O is this case so sum of X-X bar do not change! so SD remains the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uk_shahj)
    Wow I wrote the exact same points as you for both of them lol
    Yeah same here, i said the exact thing. Not sure if its write thou

ReputationRep:
    Is there any unofficial mark schemes (with the questions) out there?

ReputationRep:
    The mean would go up and the SD would change; the number was higher than de weight of most of the babies

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.