Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sgill23)
    is like a solid 4 full days enough to cover stats, hoping for an A any suggestions of what to do?
    Watch the exam Solutions S1 vids and the Hegarty Maths ones if you still need more work on some topics. Learn it all in 2 days max and then start doing exam papers. But once you've learnt a topic then do some exam questions on that topic to consolidate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj2152)
    Watch the exam Solutions S1 vids and the Hegarty Maths ones if you still need more work on some topics. Learn it all in 2 days max and then start doing exam papers. But once you've learnt a topic then do some exam questions on that topic to consolidate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Need a bit of help with Q7, January 2011. Part b.
    I don't understand how you know to do what it says in the mark scheme. I calculated each part of the tree diagram and then added together the values that start with the two same colours. This is incorrect apparently and I dont understand why
    EDIT: Sorry ignore me. I can't use my calculator apparently. The way i did it is correct too

ReputationRep:
    I am really confused by this mark scheme for question 6 part b.
    https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc...%20Edexcel.pdf

It says you get a b1 mark for +-((s-162)/7.5)=0.2553

but if you solve that with the minus you get:
    -0.2553=((s-162)/7.5)
    s=160.08525

but then in the final a1 mark, you only get the mark for answers which round to 184 which is what happens when you solve it with the positive?

why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    I am really confused by this mark scheme for question 6 part b.
    https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc...%20Edexcel.pdf

It says you get a b1 mark for +-((s-162)/7.5)=0.2553

but if you solve that with the minus you get:
    -0.2553=((s-162)/7.5)
    s=160.08525

but then in the final a1 mark, you only get the mark for answers which round to 184 which is what happens when you solve it with the positive?

why
    Well we know that the mean is 162, therefore the value of the 160.08525 goes against the idea that its in the 60th percentile. The value of 163.9 is correct. The reason you need the +- is to show that there IS a possible second value, but the question says Sarah remains in the 60th percentile.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or are the R papers really difficult? Like everything else I can do but the R papers are just so easy to lose marks with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    Is it just me or are the R papers really difficult? Like everything else I can do but the R papers are just so easy to lose marks with
    Well... They ARE REPLACEMENT papers! They're designed quite horribly if you ask me, some years they've been built well, but most of the time the boards just throw them together. They are not nice, no where, but if you can do those well and Solomon papers (obviously do the normal papers too) and you have a sound understanding of the topics, you'll be sorted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahesh114)
    Well we know that the mean is 162, therefore the value of the 160.08525 goes against the idea that its in the 60th percentile. The value of 163.9 is correct. The reason you need the +- is to show that there IS a possible second value, but the question says Sarah remains in the 60th percentile.
    ah okay, i just didnt know what percentile meant. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone show me a step by step by solution for part c)

On a randomly chosen day the probability that Bill travels to school by car, bicycle or on foot is 1/2, 1/6, 1/3 respectively. The probability of being late when using these methods of travel is 1/5, 2/5, 1/10 respectively.
    a) draw a tree diagram to represent this information
    b) find the probability that on a randomly chosenday
    i) Bill travels by foot and is late
    Ii) Bill is not late
    C) given that Bill is late, find the probability that he did not travel on foot.

I have done a and b and for c i have got this far
    P (F'/L)
    P (F' and L) / P (L)
    P (F' and L) / 1/5

Im confused on how to solve thr numerator on a tree diagram.

ReputationRep:
    Hey can someone tell me when i need to do (n+1)/2 and when to do n/2 to find the mean for linear interpolation??????

(Original post by sgill23)
    thank you!!
    I recommend you watch KESMaths S1 videos - they are by far the best S1 videos on YouTube

ReputationRep:
    For part c I don't understand why you pick P(L>133) instead of P(L<133).

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  316.1 KB

Hey guys can anyone explain to me the First part. I am just confuse with when I have to write in prabability or whole number. I usually write opposite, but it is not required.

(Original post by KloppOClock)
    ah okay, i just didnt know what percentile meant. thanks
    You just find the z value for the people 'above' her for this type of question- i.e. 40% which gives a z value of 0.2533 - then you can find your height from there, which I presume you know how to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahesh114)
    Well... They ARE REPLACEMENT papers! They're designed quite horribly if you ask me, some years they've been built well, but most of the time the boards just throw them together. They are not nice, no where, but if you can do those well and Solomon papers (obviously do the normal papers too) and you have a sound understanding of the topics, you'll be sorted!
    They're the regional papers, to accommodate for different time zones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marxist)
    You just find the z value for the people 'above' her for this type of question- i.e. 40% which gives a z value of 0.2533 - then you can find your height from there, which I presume you know how to do.
    yh i knew how to do it, i just worked out the probably for the 40th percentile which at the time i thought was the 60th percentile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    For part c I don't understand why you pick P(L>133) instead of P(L<133).
    Well you already know that the question is asking what the probability of her phone lasting 133 hours is. Think about it this way....

P(not need charging after 133 hours)
    = P(L>133 | L>127)
    = _P(L>133)_
    P(L>127)

^It's probability after 133 hours because why would she want to charge her phone before her flight is over!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this is a bit of a noob question about Venn diagrams but...

Are the shaded regions I've shown in the picture below the P(AnB)'
    Click to enlarge
    Name:  Venn Diagram - P(AnB)'.png
Views: 290
Size:  1.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)

Click to enlarge
    Yeah I believe so

(Original post by Philip-flop)

Click to enlarge
    Correct

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.