The Student Room Group

Edexcel D1 - 17th June, 2016 [Exam discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Someone asked this before but it wasn't answered. Is there an equation for the maximum number of passes for a bubble sort?
Original post by target21859
Someone asked this before but it wasn't answered. Is there an equation for the maximum number of passes for a bubble sort?

You mean maximum number of swaps? There isn't a maximum number of passes.

max. swaps is n(n1)2\frac{n(n-1)}{2}
Original post by NotNotBatman

Why did you use the summation of 'r' for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For question 7(e) why did they move activity J? I thought because it was a critical activity that had a start time of 15 and end time of 22, it had to always be between those values as it has no float. So, how come in the marks scheme they allowed it to start at 17 and end at 24? Thanks in advance!

June 2014 (IAL)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
Why did you use the summation of 'r' for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to sort numbers in descending order, the maximum number of swaps comes from a list that is in ascending order. e.g sorting the numbers 2,1,3,4 and 5 in descending order; for the maximum number of swaps the initial list has to be 1,2,3,4,5.
In the first pass there will be 4 comparisons then 3 then 2,1. So 1+2+3+4, sum of the first natural numbers, where the first term is (n-1)

If you accept that r=1nr=n2(n+1)\sum_{r=1}^{n}r = \frac{n}{2}(n+1) but there aren't dealing with numbers up to n n, but n1 n-1, so replace any n n in the formula with (n1) (n-1)

So 1n(n1)=n12[(n1)+1]=nn12\sum_{1}^{n}(n-1) = \frac{n-1}{2}[(n-1)+1] = n\frac{n-1}{2}

EDIT: If the LaTEX is illegible, try pressing quote to see if that works.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Glavien
For question 7(e) why did they move activity J? I thought because it was a critical activity that had a start time of 15 and end time of 22, it had to always be between those values as it has no float. So, how come in the marks scheme they allowed it to start at 17 and end at 24? Thanks in advance!

June 2014 (IAL)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The critical time is 22, but the question says within 25 days, so you can delay the project by 3 days.
The critical time is 22, but the question says within 25 days, so you can delay the project by 3 days.

Ohh, so every activity has an extra float of 3?
Original post by Glavien
Ohh, so every activity has an extra float of 3?

No, but the total extra float for all activities combined is 3.
No, but the total extra float for all activities combined is 3.

Ohh, thanks for that! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just found a very juicy linear programming question I thought worth sharing

https://gyazo.com/dd50f9bef7cc5f770da7f0a05488d71b
Quickest chapter to learn? From a string pure background. Need 15 ums ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Quickest chapter to learn? From a string pure background. Need 15 ums ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dijkstras algorithm/route inspection
Original post by iMacJack
Dijkstras algorithm/route inspection

Cheers mate appreciate.
How many marks could I rack up learning this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers mate appreciate.
How many marks could I rack up learning this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dependent on the paper probably around 20 marks? It all depends on how the marks are allocated but i'd say a secure 15 marks, how comes you only need 15 ums?
Dependent on the paper probably around 20 marks? It all depends on how the marks are allocated but i'd say a secure 15 marks, how comes you only need 15 ums?

Mainly duento getting 95-100 On C1-4 FP1-3 M1-3 so I am doing AFM this year and I am confident in getting 95 ish M4-5 and thing I have gotten a B in S3 so I need to just get enough for the 480 overall for 3A*s aggregate in Maths FM and AFM which is 10 UMS in D1/2 and around a decent amount of UMS in S4. Stats and decision ain't really my thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mainly duento getting 95-100 On C1-4 FP1-3 M1-3 so I am doing AFM this year and I am confident in getting 95 ish M4-5 and thing I have gotten a B in S3 so I need to just get enough for the 480 overall for 3A*s aggregate in Maths FM and AFM which is 10 UMS in D1/2 and around a decent amount of UMS in S4. Stats and decision ain't really my thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Impressive, well done :biggrin:
Impressive, well done :biggrin:

Cheers, good luck for this exam btw, seems like a very tedious exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers, good luck for this exam btw, seems like a very tedious exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, you too! Yes it is tedious for sure, but I'm confident with it all apart from two little things! Which I can hopefully correct this week!
Just found a very juicy linear programming question I thought worth sharing

https://gyazo.com/dd50f9bef7cc5f770da7f0a05488d71b

Thanks for this. Considering linear programming is one of the topics I feel less confident about, I need to practise it as much as possible. Thankfully I have extended study leave.

Is anyone sitting M2 as well as D1 on Friday?
Reply 239
Hi, need your help on this question, I don't understand matchings :frown: Any help, appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 10.07.07.png
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending