Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm good with doing quick sort, bubble sort and binary search; but I need help with the merge sort and comb sort on the new spec. I think they might be coming up on the paper, can someone please explain them to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmeny Cricket)
    Hi, I'm good with doing quick sort, bubble sort and binary search; but I need help with the merge sort and comb sort on the new spec. I think they might be coming up on the paper, can someone please explain them to me.
    Balls, I haven't really looked at those two, was hoping that they wouldn't come up. Solid 50 minutes of learning them coming up XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmeny Cricket)
    Merge sort- take the 2 ordered lists and go through them in an algorithm table comparing the 2 top results to see which one is higher/lower adding the higher/lower one to the final list.

Comb sort - remove the top and bottem 1/4 of the long list and order those manually; then do a bubble sort on the middle part of the list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenphos)
    The current grade boundaries are about 64-67 marks for an A and Edexcel have said, on their website, that they plan on raising grade boundaries for the D1 paper by about 4-5 marks.
    oh bummer..

Can you link where they said that please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFatOaf)
    Balls, I haven't really looked at those two, was hoping that they wouldn't come up. Solid 50 minutes of learning them coming up XD
    WHAT IS GOING ON!!!? What is the merge sort and comb sort!!? This isnt the new spec, this should be the old spec same as previous years!?

Is this some kind of MASSIVE TROLL? How can you know the grade boundaries are going to increase without seeinf the exam? What is all this new stuff you talking about!? None of it is in the textbook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenphos)
    Merge sort- take the 2 ordered lists and go through them in an algorithm table comparing the 2 top results to see which one is higher/lower adding the higher/lower one to the final list.

Comb sort - remove the top and bottem 1/4 of the long list and order those manually; then do a bubble sort on the middle part of the list.

Where the hell are you getting this!? None of it is in the textbook or the 2014 or 2015 summer exams!

ReputationRep:
    How do you find the maximum number of iterations for a binary search? Is there an equation for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themechguy)
    Where the hell are you getting this!? None of it is in the textbook or the 2014 or 2015 summer exams!
    AGREED! new spec isn't being assessed yet

ReputationRep:
    Redfern method cuts down the time to do the algorithms by about half. Great method and basically fool proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Footyrulez)
    AGREED! new spec isn't being assessed yet
    This is being assessed. Almost 95% sure it will come up.

ReputationRep:
    Guys it's all a troll to make you worry about the exam. The average isn't 64-67 it's more like 62. The spec hasn't changed yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeHarris1)
    but the only edexcel a level maths specs are 2008 and 2017??

ReputationRep:
    The specification which has been in action from 2014 does not have this in it

Page 102 : https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...hs_Issue_3.pdf

ReputationRep:
    lol they won't have the grade boundaries BEFORE people have even sat the exam lmao

ReputationRep:
    Keep on halving the number of items until less than 1. Number of times haves is the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Redfern method cuts down the time to do the algorithms by about half. Great method and basically fool proof.
    No one can seem to find any online info about this 'Redfern'. I think it is a Red herring...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfmeister)
    The specification which has been in action from 2014 does not have this in it

Page 102 : https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...hs_Issue_3.pdf
    Thats the public specification your looking at. In the official teachers guide it has the Redfern method in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    lol they won't have the grade boundaries BEFORE people have even sat the exam lmao
    No, in fairness it's just a guess based on what edexcel have said and done so far, however it is likely to be around 70 marks for an A. Also this paper is the new spec not the old one; have some schools/teachers not realized this?

ReputationRep:
    Thats the public specification your looking at. In the official teachers guide it has the Redfern method in it.
    Seems highly unlikely that they would produce a specification which did not contain all the content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HasanRaza1)
    Hi,
    Is there any easy way to do a scheduling diagram WITHOUT drawing a cascade diagram/gantt chart first?
    Thanks
    Hasan
    It's just trial and error. If Edexcel put that in then they're wastemen. But I wouldn't be suprised anymore

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.