Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by centraltrains)
    No one can seem to find any online info about this 'Redfern'. I think it is a Red herring...
    Redfern Algorithm - Lowering the grade boundaries 1 student at a time.
    Those higher grade boundaries people were predicting may be a lot lower if people don't know Redfern's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenphos)
    No, in fairness it's just a guess based on what edexcel have said and done so far, however it is likely to be around 70 marks for an A. Also this paper is the new spec not the old one; have some schools/teachers not realized this?
    you have no clue whatsoever what it will be

ReputationRep:
    IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ!!!!

I believe these multiple accounts posting about increased grade boundaries and the so called "redfern" method are false trolls all set by the same person/people. There is NO such thing as the redfern method, multiple searches come out with nothing.
    Don't worry about the exam or "comb sort" any of this nonsense - IT IS ALL FAKE.

ReputationRep:
    Merge sort- take the 2 ordered lists and go through them in an algorithm table comparing the 2 top results to see which one is higher/lower adding the higher/lower one to the final list.

Comb sort - remove the top and bottem 1/4 of the long list and order those manually; then do a bubble sort on the middle part of the list.
    What the **** is all that

Edit: nevermind. I wouldn't even bother learning it anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfmeister)
    Seems highly unlikely that they would produce a specification which did not contain all the content
    Are you sure you're not looking at the old spec. The new one for the 2016/17 A levels does contain this stuff; they've changed it slightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFatOaf)
    Redfern Algorithm - Lowering the grade boundaries 1 student at a time.
    Those higher grade boundaries people were predicting may be a lot lower if people don't know Redfern's.
    Ok then; what is it please? Otherwise I think someone has lots of alts or is PGing accounts.

ReputationRep:
    Ok then; what is it please? Otherwise I think someone has lots of alts or is PGing accounts.
    LeFatOaf, Zenphos, george etc. are all alt accounts - redfern method is MADE UP. D1 exam will be FINE.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very visual method to solve the network. Teacher used T&E to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themechguy)
    LeFatOaf, Zenphos, george etc. are all alt accounts - redfern method is MADE UP. D1 exam will be FINE.
    I have no clue who this fat oaf or zenphos guy is. Im sat at home revising the method in the textbooks we got given at the start of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFatOaf)
    It's a very visual method to solve the network. Teacher used T&E to do it.
    Isn't that just Prims though (on a network rather than a grid)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeHarris1)
    I have no clue who this fat oaf or zenphos guy is. Im sat at home revising the method in the textbooks we got given at the start of the year.
    Which textbook please? Publication year would be helpful too..

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ!!!!

I believe these multiple accounts posting about increased grade boundaries and the so called "redfern" method are false trolls all set by the same person/people. There is NO such thing as the redfern method, multiple searches come out with nothing.
    Don't worry about the exam or "comb sort" any of this nonsense - IT IS ALL FAKE.
    I have a feeling that the redfern algorithm is fake, too. Just a heads up though this isn't an alt account. If you google comb and merge sort they are real and on this new spec as well as possibly another few topics (I'm not familiar with the old spec). Also if you look at the recent grade boundaries; they have been going up recently and average about 64-66 marks for an A. Edexcel have also stated; in responce to the C1 and C2 tests that all their maths boundaries will increase.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

ReputationRep:
    this is why tsr need to introduce an I.P ban

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that just Prims though (on a network rather than a grid)?
    Lit don't need any writing for Redfern's though. T&E takes out the time and effort that Prim's takes up.

ReputationRep:
    Are you seriously going to trust a bunch of fools on the internet rather than your teachers, the syllabus and the book?

If so, I think you should in fact worry about the grade boundaries because something's up with your logic.

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling that the redfern algorithm is fake, too. Just a heads up though this isn't an alt account. If you google comb and merge sort they are real and on this new spec as well as possibly another few topics (I'm not familiar with the old spec). Also if you look at the recent grade boundaries; they have been going up recently and average about 64-66 marks for an A. Edexcel have also stated; in responce to the C1 and C2 tests that all their maths boundaries will increase.

Sorry for any confusion caused.
    I need to know comb for Computer Science next year... Wouldn't hurt to look...

ReputationRep:
    Which textbook please? Publication year would be helpful too..
    Edescel D1. Make sure its published 2015 not 2010

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeHarris1)
    Edescel D1. Make sure its published 2015 not 2010
    no edexcel maths books were published in 2015 :rolleyes:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    The current grade boundaries are about 64-67 marks for an A and Edexcel have said, on their website, that they plan on raising grade boundaries for the D1 paper by about 4-5 marks.
    Don't spread misinformation - thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.