Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nuggetsarelife)
    Eyy Newton Raphson Jam your hype, it was
    C= 2x + 3y ( x + 1.5y )
    Pretty sure the gradient was -1.5, so I think she's right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Did anyone else have a little cry when they saw those weird squiggly lines as paths on the dijkstra question? (Got it right but still made me wanna die)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yess OCD kicked in

I had the question booklet covering 2 squares and I didn't realise till half way through so I had to redo that D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you dude! Much love.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dudette a word? LOOOOL

You wanna do maths at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys I am 100% sure the objective line was x+1.5y. There was a basically identical question in a previous paper & I worked it all out today at the end and it was definitely x + 1.5y

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themathgeek)
    Dudette a word? LOOOOL

You wanna do maths at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mhm!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehtj006)
    maximise 1.5x+y obviously it clearly said y is 50% larger than x, therefore, you multiply x by 1,5.
    Please see my explanation I showed someone earlier

(Original post by Student403)

Plug in values if you don't believe me.

Let's say a standard container holds 1 unit of storage. Therefore a deluxe container holds 1.5 units, yes? (since deluxe is 150% of standard)

Let's say we bought 4 standard containers and 7 deluxe containers.

So firstly let's just forget about any objective function and work the capacity ourselves. 4 lots of 1 storage + 7 lots of 1.5 storage = 14.5 units of storage. Agreed? Good.

Let's see if this one works...

C = x + 1.5y

C = 4 + 1.5(7) = 14.5 units

It does

Let's see if this one works

C = 1.5x + y

C = 1.5(4) + 7 = 13

It doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone actually make a mark scheme please
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Guys I am 100% sure the objective line was x+1.5y. There was a basically identical question in a previous paper & I worked it all out today at the end and it was definitely x + 1.5y

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well thank God it was only 1 mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was 1.5y - people aren't thinking about this properly and I'm expecting the examiner's report to be savage :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Do you think grade boundaries will be similar to last year? If so UMS Predictions for this paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CutieTootsie)
    Pretty sure the gradient was -1.5, so I think she's right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait who is 'she' ? And the gradient I thought was -1/1.5=-2/3, ain't it ?

ReputationRep:
    I think the grade boundaries will be the same as last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokeins1)
    In the content of a 2 unknown equation( of x and y) y=1.5x makes sense. However, it's not true for those types of questions. ( there are many examples of u look at the past papers, I used to get them wrong) having said that I might be wrong .... 😅☝️
    Yes however it was an objective function. You cannot, through simple thinking and logic, have maximise c = y = 1.5x. It is the TOTAL amount. So you have C = x + 1.5y

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just saw that Arsey's not posting solutions anymore :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokeins1)
    In the content of a 2 unknown equation( of x and y) y=1.5x makes sense. However, it's not true for those types of questions. ( there are many examples of u look at the past papers, I used to get them wrong) having said that I might be wrong .... 😅☝️
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.

If it said something like "the storage of a deluxe box is 50% more than that of a standard box (x) . Write down the storage of a deluxe box in terms of the storage of a standard box"

Then yes you'd say y = 1.5x

But it's not what it's asking here. That's what too many people are confusing themselves with.

You might want to look at this post
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=1167

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themathgeek)
    I think the grade boundaries will be the same as last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I predict two marks lower per grade for this years paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.

If it said something like "the storage of a deluxe box is 50% more than that of a standard box (x) . Write down the storage of a deluxe box in terms of the storage of a standard box"

Then yes you'd say y = 1.5x

But it's not what it's asking here. That's what too many people are confusing themselves with.

You might want to look at this post
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=1167
    Thank you, finally!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuggetsarelife)
    Do you think grade boundaries will be similar to last year? If so UMS Predictions for this paper?

I thought many people didn't finish the paper properly( my self left the scheduling like a boss! Lol) therefore, I'd say yes. Say it's top 10% for 100 ums. I don't think any more than 15% managed to finish the paper. (Thou it's based on TSR where ppl comment when they haven't done that good at the exam) #thoughts

ReputationRep:
    Please see my explanation I showed someone earlier
    I put y + 1.5x .. not gunna lie ... because I was thinking in the way that guy was as well... noticed there was a question similar to that in a past paper .. and yes you are right ... so I'll just lock myself in a toilet and just **** the rest of my life ;-P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.