Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Need 6/7 A*'s, predicted 3 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 11 and I've realised I need to start revising a lot now, as I'm hoping to pursue a career in Medicine! Although 3 A*'s and the rest A's meet university requirements, I understand in reality they expect more due to the intense competition.

Does anyone have any tips on me being able to get many more A*'s than I'm predicted? Across a whole board of subjects really, I'm just looking for general revision techniques

Subjects I'm taking (and predicted grades):
    Biology (A Grade)
    Chemistry (A Grade)
    Physics (A grade)
    Maths (sat early, one mark off an A*! )
    Further Maths (B/A)
    English Language (A*)
    English Literature (A*)
    French (A*)
    Computer Science (B)

ReputationRep:
    Okay lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BW999)
    I'm currently in year 11 and I've realised I need to start revising a lot now, as I'm hoping to pursue a career in Medicine! Although 3 A*'s and the rest A's meet university requirements, I understand in reality they expect more due to the intense competition.

Does anyone have any tips on me being able to get many more A*'s than I'm predicted? Across a whole board of subjects really, I'm just looking for general revision techniques

Biology (A Grade)
    Chemistry (A Grade)
    Physics (A grade)
    Further Maths (B/A)
    English Language (A*)
    English Literature (A*)
    French (A*)
    Computer Science (B)
    I had the same issue at my school. I'm at school at the moment and did my GCSEs in 2013 which was year 10 for me (so I could do three years of sixth form). I was predicted 0 A*s I got 6 in the end through relatively hard work (I say relatively because I found the concepts at GCSE fine but the memorising was really tricky). Anyway the point is that predictions mean very little until you get to A-level. Relish the challenge and get as many A*s as you want to work for!

ReputationRep:
    The first tip I'd give you is ignore target grades - they're pointless. You can have predicted A*'s in everything and then freak out in the test and get a C. Target grades only restrict you and stop teachers helping you more if you are on your target grade as they don't feel you have to beat it. As you are going into a science field, if you want to get the top grade in anything getting it in sciences would surely be most useful, which is lucky for you as the others subjects you are already getting good grades in, so if you focus on your sciences you will hopefully get top grades overall. However, don't pressurise yourself into doing this if it is too difficult - As in sciences are still great. As advice for doing better than expected in your science exams I would ask your science teachers for extra exam questions or look online for A* science exam technique or practise questions. At the end of the day you are still predicted As and A*s so even if you don't get A*s overall you will still have an amazing range of grades. Don't focus too much on something you find difficult, if it will mean you sacrifice getting a few top grades in the subjects you have the best chance of getting them in. Good luck!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by BW999)

Biology (A Grade)
    Chemistry (A Grade)
    Physics (A grade)
    Further Maths (B/A)
    English Language (A*)
    English Literature (A*)
    French (A*)
    Computer Science (B)
    Well obviously you'll want A*s in Bio/Chem/Phys if medicine is the goal - make a list of all the topics you need covered (e.g. 'The Carbon Cycle') in each subject then write notes for each one - not too much though, you don't have loads of time after all. Don't bother writing what you already know - which is probably quite a bit if you're an A student. A topic like the Carbon Cycle or the Nitrogen Cycle shouldn't cover more than one side of a cue card tbh. Then the key is, as always, past papers. Do the first couple 'open-book' - getting a bunch of Qs wrong only discourages you - but make a note of the questions you needed help with and revise the topics. I tend to do past papers with a black pen and a red pen (red for the stuff I got out of a textbook that I need to commit to memory). Make sure you're familiar with how the examiner marks - read the mark schemes for the past papers you do carefully. If a two-mark definition can be answered in one snappy sentence rather than a paragraph then you should be using the succinct version.

One of the best, and least stressful ways of revising science is to talk about it - parents/friends/siblings - explain the function of the liver at the dinner table. Talk about catalytic convertors on the bus/car to school. Teach your friends and let them teach you - you can do it anywhere (thus saving time), it doesn't feel like 'studying' and you're likely to remember it.

Also prioritise! Physics has less content because it's more maths-based so there's less notes to write overall (if your good at the techniques) whilst there's a lot of knowledge/facts to know for biology. Fortunately they're pretty straight-forward.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BW999)

Biology (A Grade)
    Chemistry (A Grade)
    Physics (A grade)
    Further Maths (B/A)
    English Language (A*)
    English Literature (A*)
    French (A*)
    Computer Science (B)
    Noones going to be that fussed about GCSEs unless your going to oxford! Its your a levels that really matter

ReputationRep:
    The best revision technique for me was using flash cards based on the specification of the course. So I'd turn a specification point into a question and put the it and the answer on either side of a flash card. I'd get my answers from CGP books and my notes. When I was finished I could sit down and quiz myself until I learnt all of the cards. This didn't work well for English / English Lit but did work pretty well for my other subjects, especially Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, I.T.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiv is Light)
    Noones going to be that fussed about GCSEs unless your going to oxford! Its your a levels that really matter
    Somewhat true but I'd recommend aiming for 8/9. Cardiff and Birmingham would have been my first choices until I realised they won't interview anyone below 7/8 A*s respectively. Just aim to get as many as possible so that you can keep your options open!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BW999)

Biology (A Grade)
    Chemistry (A Grade)
    Physics (A grade)
    Further Maths (B/A)
    English Language (A*)
    English Literature (A*)
    French (A*)
    Computer Science (B)
    3A* 8A at GCSE and I had 4 interviews and got one offer. You'll be fine for most universities, even taking into account competition! Having said that, aim for A* in sciences and English language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so ****ing what if you're predicted 3 A*? get the **** off TSR, stop whining and start studying if you want more A*s

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.