x Turn on thread page Beta

Which university of those is the best for computer science, please help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the university of Southampton
    the university of Bristol
    the university of Bath
    King's college London
    Please tell me which one would you choose if you were me, and why ?
    Thanks so much for your time

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard, Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    Whichever one is most suitable for you... none of those are vastly superior than the other, one won't provide the opportunity another will fail to do and therefore it should be entirely a choice made up of what appeals to you the most; course modules, location, accomodation costs, facilities, bursary and entitlemments - these are the factors that you solely consider in choosing amongst those universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKE12)
    the university of Southampton
    the university of Bristol
    the university of Bath
    King's college London
    Please tell me which one would you choose if you were me, and why ?
    Thanks so much for your time
    They are all very good. I have an offer from Bristol (for Maths and Computer Science). My other choices were Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, and Durham, so that tells you which one I think is best. However, Bath would probably been my sixth choice, I irrationally dislike King's, and I didn't really consider Southampton. I'd probably rank them Bristol > Southampton > King's > Bath, but there's not much to choose between them. Compare bursaries (King's cost of living will be higher than the others) and course details; email any questions you have to admissions tutors.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    They are all very good. I have an offer from Bristol (for Maths and Computer Science). My other choices were Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, and Durham, so that tells you which one I think is best. However, Bath would probably been my sixth choice, I irrationally dislike King's, and I didn't really consider Southampton. I'd probably rank them Bristol > Southampton > King's > Bath, but there's not much to choose between them. Compare bursaries (King's cost of living will be higher than the others) and course details; email any questions you have to admissions tutors.
    Would put Bath before Southampton but that's the only thing I'd change. The rest of your post is spot on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Stanford

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Would put Bath before Southampton but that's the only thing I'd change. The rest of your post is spot on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was put off Bath somewhat by the way they portrayed producing students who could learn JavaScript in 2 weeks (after 2 years of a degree) as a selling point. I didn't visit Southampton (or King's).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    They are all very good. I have an offer from Bristol (for Maths and Computer Science). My other choices were Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, and Durham, so that tells you which one I think is best.
    ooooh, I'm firming Bristol - are you? I guess you wouldn't if you got the Cam or Imp offer. Also, how would you rank Bristol, Warwick and Durham for CS?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by KingKumar)
    ooooh, I'm firming Bristol - are you? I guess you wouldn't if you got the Cam or Imp offer. Also, how would you rank Bristol, Warwick and Durham for CS?
    Bristol = Warwick (if you cared about IB, it'd upgrade to being the better choice) > Durham

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, I got a Cambridge offer (which I'm unsurprisingly firming). I'm undecided between Imperial, Warwick and Bristol for insurance (Imperial's A-level requirements are the same as Cambridge, so the only reason to insurance it would be if I thought I might get the A-levels but fail STEP and not get into Cambridge for straight Computer Science (without Maths) anyway).

I would rank them as Bristol > Warwick > Durham. I was really impressed by the student projects and suchlike at Bristol (on par with Imperial's!); Warwick's department was also good, but I've only visited it once; and I didn't really like Durham.

ReputationRep:
    How would you rank Warwick, Bath, Durham, Manchester and UCL? I'm thinking about firming UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackSniper)
    How would you rank Warwick, Bath, Durham, Manchester and UCL? I'm thinking about firming UCL.
    Warwick/UCL, Durham, Bath, Manchester
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Warwick=UCL > Bath > Manchester > Durham (I really don't like Durham's course).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bath's course looks pretty interesting, but not as practical as UCL's. I'd (maybe biased opinion) say UCL is best, edging out Warwick and Bath comfortably. More or less agree with Manch and Durham, Durham's course did not look very good.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, but Durham is also very strong too. The course does seem a bit meh though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Warwick/UCL, Durham, Bath, Manchester
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    Warwick/UCL/Durham
    Bath
    Manchester

ReputationRep:
    For CS Bristol=Warwick followed by Durham.

Overall, they're all fantastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShafTJB)
    Warwick/UCL/Durham
    Bath
    Manchester
    I agree with this. From my conversations, Durham seem to send a lot of graduates to GCHQ after graduating which is a big draw for me. Not sure if you're into the whole cryptography/cyber security side of life but around 10% of graduates from Durham end up in GCHQ. They also do a lot of placements/internships there for work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone replied to my question. But no one of you did provide the reason for their chooses.
    Anyway, thanks again

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.