Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    The finance from Northern Ireland works differently. I've not really looked fully into what you'll get; but it's more likely that the amount you'll get is different than what an English student would get.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jack Ball)
    Hi, I have applied to two courses in London, beginning in September. As with many people who are hoping to study in London finance is a big worry.

I am unsure on how much I will receive in terms of a maintenance loan. I am from Northern Ireland and so I have to apply through StudentFinanceNI. On looking at the calculators on both the StudentFinanceNI and GOV.UK websites it appears that there is a fairly large discrepancy in terms of what i'll receive. My house hold income is around £43,000, meaning that on the NI website I am not eligible for any form of grant. This means that I will only receive the initial £6,700 loan. But upon looking at the GOV.UK website and using their calculator feature, it estimates that I should receive around £8000 - 8500. This, for me, is a significant difference. Is this right, do I receive less simply because I am from backwards Northern Ireland?
    I'm an NI student, so I know how **** our wee place is.

You're best to just phone up SFNI and asking them. But since your household income is quite high, I would say you'll be getting less. Sorry.

Definitely phone them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Ball)
    Hi, I have applied to two courses in London, beginning in September. As with many people who are hoping to study in London finance is a big worry.

I am unsure on how much I will receive in terms of a maintenance loan. I am from Northern Ireland and so I have to apply through StudentFinanceNI. On looking at the calculators on both the StudentFinanceNI and GOV.UK websites it appears that there is a fairly large discrepancy in terms of what i'll receive. My house hold income is around £43,000, meaning that on the NI website I am not eligible for any form of grant. This means that I will only receive the initial £6,700 loan. But upon looking at the GOV.UK website and using their calculator feature, it estimates that I should receive around £8000 - 8500. This, for me, is a significant difference. Is this right, do I receive less simply because I am from backwards Northern Ireland?
    Whilst there are usually discrepancies between SFE/SFNI/SAAS/SFW, even in England £8000ish is the highest loan amount reserved for those from very low income households- under £25,0000. £6,700 sounds much more like the likely figure.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Whilst there are usually discrepancies between SFE/SFNI/SAAS/SFW, even in England £8000ish is the highest loan amount reserved for those from very low income households- under £25,0000. £6,700 sounds much more like the likely figure.
    It's around £10k for those studying in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Yup. £10,702 is the max for an English student studying away from home in London (calculated on hh income of £10,000). £8,544 for an English student in London with hh income of £43,000.

But yes, the funding systems in different parts of the UK can work very differently. From what I've seen, they encourage students to remain local and make it less attractive/feasible to study in other parts of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Ooops missed the London bit there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.