Turn on thread page Beta

How much will I get - Living in London watch

Announcements

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    The finance from Northern Ireland works differently. I've not really looked fully into what you'll get; but it's more likely that the amount you'll get is different than what an English student would get.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Jack Ball)
    Hi, I have applied to two courses in London, beginning in September. As with many people who are hoping to study in London finance is a big worry.

I am unsure on how much I will receive in terms of a maintenance loan. I am from Northern Ireland and so I have to apply through StudentFinanceNI. On looking at the calculators on both the StudentFinanceNI and GOV.UK websites it appears that there is a fairly large discrepancy in terms of what i'll receive. My house hold income is around £43,000, meaning that on the NI website I am not eligible for any form of grant. This means that I will only receive the initial £6,700 loan. But upon looking at the GOV.UK website and using their calculator feature, it estimates that I should receive around £8000 - 8500. This, for me, is a significant difference. Is this right, do I receive less simply because I am from backwards Northern Ireland?
    I'm an NI student, so I know how **** our wee place is.

You're best to just phone up SFNI and asking them. But since your household income is quite high, I would say you'll be getting less. Sorry.

Definitely phone them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Ball)
    Hi, I have applied to two courses in London, beginning in September. As with many people who are hoping to study in London finance is a big worry.

I am unsure on how much I will receive in terms of a maintenance loan. I am from Northern Ireland and so I have to apply through StudentFinanceNI. On looking at the calculators on both the StudentFinanceNI and GOV.UK websites it appears that there is a fairly large discrepancy in terms of what i'll receive. My house hold income is around £43,000, meaning that on the NI website I am not eligible for any form of grant. This means that I will only receive the initial £6,700 loan. But upon looking at the GOV.UK website and using their calculator feature, it estimates that I should receive around £8000 - 8500. This, for me, is a significant difference. Is this right, do I receive less simply because I am from backwards Northern Ireland?
    Whilst there are usually discrepancies between SFE/SFNI/SAAS/SFW, even in England £8000ish is the highest loan amount reserved for those from very low income households- under £25,0000. £6,700 sounds much more like the likely figure.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Whilst there are usually discrepancies between SFE/SFNI/SAAS/SFW, even in England £8000ish is the highest loan amount reserved for those from very low income households- under £25,0000. £6,700 sounds much more like the likely figure.
    It's around £10k for those studying in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Yup. £10,702 is the max for an English student studying away from home in London (calculated on hh income of £10,000). £8,544 for an English student in London with hh income of £43,000.

But yes, the funding systems in different parts of the UK can work very differently. From what I've seen, they encourage students to remain local and make it less attractive/feasible to study in other parts of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Ooops missed the London bit there.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.