Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

those who are considering applying for medicine 2005 post here your A levels, what you've done so far (eg picked any unis, started your personal statement) and any work exp.

ReputationRep:
    could I suggest the following books:

So You Want To Be A Brain Surgeon. Ed. Ward and Eccles. ISBN: 0192630962. "So you want to be a Brain Surgeon? could just as easily have been titled 'Everything you ever wanted to know about medical careers but were afraid to ask!".

A Career In Medicine, Do You Have What It Takes? White. ISBN: 1853154628. A guide for young people that provides an insight into what medicine involves and the personal qualities that are required. A range of issues are addressed including entry requirements, the interview process, ethical issues, choosing a medical school and various career options within medicine.

The Insiders Guide To Medical School. 2005 edition not yet in print. 2004 edition ISBN: 0856608734 "Getting Into" course guides offer up-to-date information which explain the procedures for getting into higher education. They detail the qualifications required and provide advice on applications, individual case studies and a companion website. This guide details medical school courses.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably be applying for 2005... Currently doing IB: Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English A1 are my highers, Dutch A1 and ITGS are my standards) and am trying to get a position in a nursing home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally87)
    Hi, i want to apply in 2005, im studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and ICT.
    I have 18 months wk ex in a pharmacy and am bout to start with red cross but nursin homes r sayin im 2 young.
    I am lukin at Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham and Liverpool.
    R u applyin in 2005?
    hi
    is that pharmacy work exp hospital, gp clinic or a shop? how did u get it and what do you do? so far i've done 6months of hospital volunteering, teaching assistant in lower school, and helping in disabled school. you should try volunteering in your local hospital as i joined when i was 16.
    i was thinking of joining st johns ambulance. what kind of things do u do/will u do with red cross?

ReputationRep:
    Any one short listed their prospective medical schools?

I still don't know whether to go for a PBL.. I think integrated with a bit of early clinical experience would suit me, but PBL would improve my communcation and team work skills.

I also don't know whether to put a 5th and 6th choice down. My 2nd choice would be Pharmacy eek so many decisions, so little time

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am studying maths, f maths, bio, chem and physics and am planning to apply to imp, ucl, kings and cam.

I am doing 6 months volun at 2 hospitals and worked in my gp's. BTW is it 2 late to apply to red cross or st john's ambulance?

ReputationRep:
    Ive just finished Alevels in Chemistry, Biology and Maths. Ive done 8 months in a care home for the elderly, been teacing/mentoring a child with learning difficulties for a year, collected money for charity, 1 month at a GP surgery and 2 weeks at a hospital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adil Bhai)
    BTW is it 2 late to apply to red cross or st john's ambulance?
    No, fill this in and you will receive contact details for your local centre
    http://www.sja.org.uk/volunteering/register.asp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badboy killa)
    Ive just finished Alevels in Chemistry, Biology and Maths. Ive done 8 months in a care home for the elderly, been teacing/mentoring a child with learning difficulties for a year, collected money for charity, 1 month at a GP surgery and 2 weeks at a hospital.
    Are you applying in your gap year (as you say you've finished your A levels) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    Are you applying in your gap year (as you say you've finished your A levels) ?
    Yeh im applying for 2005 entry, i didnt apply in 2004 for various reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adil Bhai)
    planning to apply to imp, ucl, kings and cam.
    Heh cool choices- do you live around/near London?

I'm thinking more midlands, Sheff, Bmingham, Leeds, Cardiff, Bristol

ReputationRep:
    Heh cool choices- do you live around/near London?
    Thnx mate. Yeah i live in london. God knows why i want to stay here! I guess i think all the best med schools are in london (i have the right to my opinion ) Its a big risk i m takin though coz i know so many ppl get rejected. U live in Midlands? I never knew applying to med school would be so complicated wot with all the work exp, volun, bmat, breaking med news but i guess it has to be more intense than other careers.

ReputationRep:
    Im studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics all through to A-level. I have spent a week at a local hospital and im also planning a week's work experience with my GP. Hoping to go to Cambridge in 05

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    Any one short listed their prospective medical schools?

I still don't know whether to go for a PBL.. I think integrated with a bit of early clinical experience would suit me, but PBL would improve my communcation and team work skills.

I also don't know whether to put a 5th and 6th choice down. My 2nd choice would be Pharmacy eek so many decisions, so little time
    Hi, these are the med schools that ill be applying to along with a (v.)brief reason why.

Manchester- my local med school

Edinburgh-dont interview

St Andrews-dont interview

*Cambridge*-the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kent)
    Hi, these are the med schools that ill be applying to along with a (v.)brief reason why.

Edinburgh-dont interview

*Cambridge*-the best
    I'm sure those are not your only reasons, however, is it wise to choose medschools on the priniple that they don't interview? I can't help but notice your choice of medschools vary considerable in terms of the courses they offer - have you thought about the type of course you would like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kent)

Edinburgh-dont interview

*Cambridge*-the best
    I suppose people have differing abilities when it comes to Personal Statements. I applied to Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Cambridge and only got offers from the places that conducted interviews (i.e i was rejecteed from Edinburgh).

Unless you are totally sure that your PS will paint a brilliant picture of yourself (that is not reliant on any interview performances) I would advise you to think a bit more carefully. (That is, if those reasons you posted are the only reasons you have, which to me, seems rather unlikey )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kent)

Edinburgh-dont interview

*Cambridge*-the best
    Although St Andrews and Edinburh don't interview, they do wait until all personal staements are in before grading and awarding points to them based on set criteria, so you have to have a brillliant PS, and you're also competing with every single other applicant. At least at other Uni's you get a decision within a couple of weeks of interview - they don't wait until they've seen everyone. You may be reducing your chances instead of increasing them by going down this route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    could I suggest the following books:

So You Want To Be A Brain Surgeon. Ed. Ward and Eccles. ISBN: 0192630962. "So you want to be a Brain Surgeon? could just as easily have been titled 'Everything you ever wanted to know about medical careers but were afraid to ask!".

A Career In Medicine, Do You Have What It Takes? White. ISBN: 1853154628. A guide for young people that provides an insight into what medicine involves and the personal qualities that are required. A range of issues are addressed including entry requirements, the interview process, ethical issues, choosing a medical school and various career options within medicine.

The Insiders Guide To Medical School. 2005 edition not yet in print. 2004 edition ISBN: 0856608734 "Getting Into" course guides offer up-to-date information which explain the procedures for getting into higher education. They detail the qualifications required and provide advice on applications, individual case studies and a companion website. This guide details medical school courses.
    as much as i thinking this could be valuable information for most prospective students, i think that only the 3rd book is really valuable in order to make it easier to get into a Medicine course and even then it is not a MUST READ book (UNLESS you are an OXBRIDGE applicant).

if however you still arent really sure about doing medicine, it is a good idea to read through books, although really you should already know if medicine is the course for you.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.