The Student Room Group

What will leaving the EU mean for us?

There is a lot of talk about leaving/staying in the EU, but what will we gain/loose by leaving?
Reply 1
by being in the EU, we are given much more freedom around Europe. This means that we are given freedom to travel Europe without a visa and we can access their healthcare systems for free all for a membership fee that totals for around 20 pence per person in England. It also allows for an open market that makes it easy for businesses to trade abroad and allows anyone in the EU to look for work abroad in other countries that are also a part of the European Union.
Reply 2
Original post by FinleyA
by being in the EU, we are given much more freedom around Europe. This means that we are given freedom to travel Europe without a visa and we can access their healthcare systems for free all for a membership fee that totals for around 20 pence per person in England. It also allows for an open market that makes it easy for businesses to trade abroad and allows anyone in the EU to look for work abroad in other countries that are also a part of the European Union.

So will this mean if we want to move to EU or people want to move to the UK they will need a visa?
Original post by FinleyA

I doubt we will need visas to go to Europe if we left the EU STOP BEING SO BLOODY OBTUSE
Can't go on cheap holidays to Benidorm and Ibiza
Reply 5
We didn't need visas before joining the EU and could find jobs in europe easily and business was pretty easy to conduct it wasn't like going to the USA for any of those things. I'm all for staying in the EU as I'm progressive I think we should be able to get HB and WTC abroad also.
Original post by MonoreApp
There is a lot of talk about leaving/staying in the EU, but what will we gain/loose by leaving?

Its costing us a crap ton, last I heard it was ballparked at around £55 million a day.
They try to micromanage, sending costs per unit product throgh the roof.
We get stupid levels of immigration and no way to reduce it becase we have no say in who crosses our border from the EU.
Our national laws are superceded by the European court

Thats in
Out, we dont spend £55 million a day on a club that gives very little and takes a lot
WE get some control over our borders
Trade deals would have to be renegotiated, but since it is in everyone's best interests to have them in place I dont think this will take particularly long.
We get a larger say in stuff like WTO, since the Eu has one vote FOR THE WHOLE BLOC, not one per member state with a seat.

In all, we retain much of what we currently have, and gain a bit more control over our own lives.
Reply 7
Original post by EccentricDiamond
I doubt we will need visas to go to Europe if we left the EU STOP BEING SO BLOODY OBTUSE

Got any evidence to back that up? Hell it was on a year and a half ago that both Theresa May and Ed Milliband where saying that UK/English Citizens would need a visa/passport to visit an independent Scotland since they "wouldnt be in the EU/Schengen", what would make continental Europe any different?

sources:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10699069/Britons-would-need-passport-to-visit-an-independent-Scotland.html
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2014/sep/07/will-i-need-passport-enter-leave-independent-scotland
Reply 8
Switzerland is doing just fine outside the EU. Can't really see why you should have much of a problem TBH.
Reply 9
If we left, we would become gods and all the ugly people will suddenly look like models and film stars.

We will also get an absolute ton of money for doing FA and start a new empire by invading loads of countries with backwards people who are only too happy to be ruled over by white people bringing them civilisation, sports with lots of rules and secret one to one relationships.
Original post by CAElite
Got any evidence to back that up? Hell it was on a year and a half ago that both Theresa May and Ed Milliband where saying that UK/English Citizens would need a visa/passport to visit an independent Scotland since they "wouldnt be in the EU/Schengen", what would make continental Europe any different?

sources:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10699069/Britons-would-need-passport-to-visit-an-independent-Scotland.html
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2014/sep/07/will-i-need-passport-enter-leave-independent-scotland

Those articles are about needing a passport to enter an independant Scotland, needing a passport does not mean needing a visa stupid. We already need passports to go to France and Germany etc idiot
All this debate seems to be is scaremongering against scaremongering, if one side suggests a topic as to why we should stay in/leave, the other will just say it's false. I'm voting to stay in because it's unknown how the UK's future will look if we leave, whereas if we stay, we know what it would be like because we're in the EU already.
We've injected over £70 billion into the EU over the past 30 years that hasn't been fed back directly into our own economy e.g. subsidising fisheries or infant sector funding. Although anyone who has ever taken economics would know there is a lot of indirect benefits to our economy from being in the EU in regards to trade and minimising costs. The main issue is how much do UK businesses benefit from being in the EU VS how do we make our own policies without negative EU interference. Then there is also the political side of things whereby the introduction of red tape bureaucracy limits what we can do with monetary policy as well as fiscal policy once those laws are passed through. On average about 10 new laws are passed through every day.

I just don't see the UK leaving the EU any time soon mainly because businesses like long term stable trade partnerships and the benefits associated with the European trade market. I feel like it's more important to maintain political stability and preserve healthy diplomatic relations with our European neighbours even if this is in the short term detrimental such as the cost of excessive immigration. By in large we should negotiate just as David Cameron has done to get the best deal we can to preserve our economic integrity.The main argument is that we will have a major influx in the labour market from migrant workers that is costing the taxpayer money - plus what do we do with accommodating refugees?

I believe that people that wish to leave the EU such as Boris Johnson have a knee jerk reaction in regards to this topic and in their decision making. This viewpoint totally makes sense, however, I say knee jerk because it's an x causes y so I will remove x to stop y type of decision. In an ideal world that would be amazing if we could get 10 positives with 0 negatives but the world doesn't work like that and is always changing and developing. In ten years time we could have strengthened our ties in the EU and still have a credible contribution to European policies making. Building that sense of prolonged familiarity and engagement on what happens in being a member of the EU is far more vital. If in ten years time I know that a billion pound investment into a manufacturing business or company in another European country benefits from effective policy making in Europe then this is one thing I can depend upon. It's a given, so the world passes by with maybe a few less major concerns. Essentially my argument is confidence levels and stability through predictability is far more important.
A free and independent self governing nation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending